BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
Kodiak,

I have been tracking market prices for 1991 560 SECs for some time. My sources are varied but mostly come from searching classified ads that contain valid VIN #s. The database contains a combination of asking and actual selling prices. I make no allowance for stated condition, upgrades, special features, etc. I simply collect the data and add it to my database which now totals 137 listings. The data is plotted and an average price curve is established. For any given mileage, there are cars valued above and below the curve. One can assume that those of lesser condition are below the curve and those cars in finer condition are above.

I do not track any other model year. There were only 2,138 1991 560 SECs produced and only 1,233 were sold in North America. Your guess is as good as mine as to how many remain but I'm sure it's not many and very few will have less than 100k miles and be in pristine condition.

The value chart I've developed is just a guide, not a testament to true value. That said, the data is what the data is and the chart suggests that the $16k RR has placed on his car is a reasonable asking price.

J.Chip
Helpful info

$16K seems a little high for this car. First, i don't think the color combo is highly desirable. Second, while the car looks nice in the pictures I would not say it looks "spectacular". I see some cloudiness in the wood, some fading in the speedo gauges and needles and the java interior is not as dark as it could be, especially for a 1991/late gen2 c126. this could all be due to the photos, but then again, maybe not. If not, the car has seen its fair share of sun.

IMO too many sellers overstate the condition of their cars and throw around terms like 'spectacular', 'pristine' and 'museum quality'. this may not even be an attempt to mislead potential buyers, but an honest seller may not know what a truly mint example should look like.

That said, it is a nice example and as a c126 owner I hope the seller gets what he is asking.

1988 560SEC Euro Lorinser Clone

Drivetrain/Chassis:
Stock 5.6L US-Spec M117
OEM MB Tri-Y Headers + DPs

Exterior (904);
BBS for Lorinser RSK Wheels 8jX16/9jx16
Gen2 Euro Bumpers Front & Rear
Euro Headlights (Wiper delete) and Blinkers

Interior (274):
Lorinser Leather Steering Wheel
Lorinser Burlwood Shifter Knob
Late Gen2 Seats and Door Cards

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1986 560 SEC
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
The last Bugatti type 37SC went for around 45 million IIRC. Hell, the Austin Healey from the 1955 LeMans wreck brought 1.3 mill...

So many cars, so little $$
LOL so true
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 10:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1998 Sl500
Quote:
My database puts it at an average price of around $15k.

J.Chip
Very nice car! Just bought a 98 sl500. But this was on my list as well. Gl

06 997 Blk/Blk
06 Cayenne whte/Tan
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:59 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Regarding "condition"

Maperso,

Yes, I agree that more often than not, owners will overstate the condition of their car. Very few are truly "pristine" or "like new". I have my own gauge of what constitutes a truly pristine 560. Obviously it must start, idle, drive, and stop as intended. But beyond that to be really pristine, I would look for the following:

1. All electrical switches, lights, and motorized bits must work as intended
2. The gauge cluster and panel illumination should be bright and even, not dim
3. The gauge needles should be bright orange not faded yellow indicating long exposure to the sun.
4. All the wood should be free of clouding, cracking, or other defects
5. There should be no signs of wear on the left bolster of the driver seat (very common)
6. The radio and antenna should function as intended
7. There should be signs of factory cosmoline still coating most of the engine parts and the aluminum castings should be free of oxidation.
8. All engine, glass, and body decals should be present, correct, and not faded.
9. The hood pad should look like it was just replaced.
10. All the colored plastic connectors in the engine compartment should be brightly colored and new looking.
11. The rear window should be free of delamination
12. The fuel filler door and edge of opening should be free of chips from fuel nozzle impacts.
13. The door sills should be free of scuffs, cracks, etc.
14. The door speaker grills should be free of dimples from impacts
15. Anything that should not be loose on the car should, uh, not be loose.
16. The front windshield should be crystal clear, free of sandblasting, and wiper scuffs.
17. Obviously, the exterior cosmetics should be free of dings, stone chips, rust of any degree, scratches, etc. and all paintwork and brightwork should appear as new.
18. Plastic lenses should be clear and appear as new.
19. The rubber trunk and engine compartment seals should be without gouges, tears, and should be pliable.
20. The interior trunk lip should be free of scratches from loading articles in the trunk.
21. There should be no signs of leaks on any kind, anywhere.
22. There should be no signs of wear or stains on any of the rugs, headliner, or seats.
23. There should be absolutely no signs of curb rash on the wheels.
24. The tool kit, owners manual, and first aid kit should be complete and in as new condition.
25. Any visible screws, nuts, bolts or other mechanical fasteners should not show toolmarks of any kind.

This is just a partial list off the top of my head but it gives you an idea of what I would need to see to put an SEC in #1, or "pristine" condition. Very, very few cars can measure up and high mileage cars will have a very hard time meeting these standards even if they have been well cared for.

Nevertheless, a properly maintained SEC with a nice "patina" showing an owner's care is still a very desirable object. Such cars should fall smack on the middle of my "average value" curve. Those approaching #1 condition would be above, those needing mechanical and cosmetic work would fall below.

J.Chip
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Maperso,

Yes, I agree
J.Chip
J Chip --

I hear ya, great list. I had and sold a 91 SEC with 54K miles that met all the above criteria. It remains the benchmark for the coupes I have now -- and a way for me to look at cars that even reputable sellers here represent as museum quality / pristine /perfect / whatever and know that they are NOT.

Best regards

1988 560SEC Euro Lorinser Clone

Drivetrain/Chassis:
Stock 5.6L US-Spec M117
OEM MB Tri-Y Headers + DPs

Exterior (904);
BBS for Lorinser RSK Wheels 8jX16/9jx16
Gen2 Euro Bumpers Front & Rear
Euro Headlights (Wiper delete) and Blinkers

Interior (274):
Lorinser Leather Steering Wheel
Lorinser Burlwood Shifter Knob
Late Gen2 Seats and Door Cards

post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 04:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: '87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
@ J.Chip

Quote:
My sources are varied but mostly come from searching classified ads that contain valid VIN #s. The database contains a combination of asking and actual selling prices.
So how are you obtaining that final sales price - by contacting the seller? Or by 'classifieds' are you referring to ebay data?
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 06:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Mr.Bits,

My sources are many and are a combination of both "asking prices" and "as sold" prices most of which are obtained through internet searches of private, auction, and dealer ads. I only used data from ads that post a VIN # in order to keep the data discreet. Occasionally, a vehicle will reappear in ads with a new asking or auction sold price. When that occurs, I drop the old price and add the new data updating mileage, etc. I do not make any judgement on condition.

It would be great if my database consisted of only "as sold" prices but it is very difficult to obtain final sales price information along with a VIN #. My split runs about 70% asking and 30% actual sale price. Asking prices are probably 10-15% higher than what the car eventually sells for so that has to be taken into consideration but I just collect the data, not adjust it.

J.Chip
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 04:07 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo513 View Post
RX-7?? What year?? I did always like the last body style. Although I've never driven a rotary. PM me with details.

mine is a second gen
here is a slide show
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in