FS: Perfect 1991 Mercedes-Benz 560 SEC - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Benznoob26
If you remember Russo's 560sec widebody was/is for sale and didn't get past $10k on ebay. He even offered it for around that price and it didn't sell. The OP's car doesnt compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
If it's a need nothing car it's going to be WELL north of 8k... 8K buys you something that needs another 5K..

Have timing chain rails and tensioner been tended to? Timing chain stretch checked?

jonathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
My database puts it at an average price of around $15k.

J.Chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: Depends on the day!
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jhodg5ck
Russo's car is pretty much worthless IMHO... once you customize something that heavily and in that Colour you have made it Yours... chances of finding someone that sees the car in a similar light will be HARD @ best.
The op's car looks to be a beautiful unmolested example...these will Alwaulys bring a premium over a back yard modified car.

Blue Ridge Mercedes/AMG East
Jonathan Hodgman
http://www.blueridgemb.com/
Enthusiast Service, Restoration & Tuning.
Authorized RENNtech Dealer & Installer
Follow Us on Facebook!
Located in the Atlanta area

87 Hammer Wagon 6.0L 32V
87 Hammer 6.0L 32V
86 560SEL AMG 6.0 32V
etc....

Mercedes Repair Atlanta
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2011
(Thread Starter)
Update: More information for 1991 560 SEC

For those of you who asked, I have more info on my car.

VIN: WDBEA30D1MB377016

Updated mileage: 82,346

Number of owners: 2 (and they took exceptional care of it)

Asking price: $16,600
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: Depends on the day!
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jhodg5ck
If she needs very little/nothing that's a fair price. Just had one roll in w/ 100K on the clock, Very Clean cosmetics/interior etc, etc.. but needs everything a 100K car typically needs.. front steering/suspension rebuild, some love on the rear suspension, timing chain/tensioner/rails/all fluids serviced, leaking power steering.. in short, he'll have just north of what RedRalph is asking in it once done.

So again, if RR's car is Really top notch one would be doing Well! As with ALL cars I Strongly recommend a PPI by a tech who is familiar w/ the in's and out's of a W126 Coupe.

Jonathan

Blue Ridge Mercedes/AMG East
Jonathan Hodgman
http://www.blueridgemb.com/
Enthusiast Service, Restoration & Tuning.
Authorized RENNtech Dealer & Installer
Follow Us on Facebook!
Located in the Atlanta area

87 Hammer Wagon 6.0L 32V
87 Hammer 6.0L 32V
86 560SEL AMG 6.0 32V
etc....

Mercedes Repair Atlanta
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Mercedes
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Ditto to Jono's and Chips' comments. The OP's SEC is worth more than $8k,closer to the $12-15k range. Russo's car was modified to his own liking and wasn't even completed the way it should have been. It was a car with expensive components added on to it, but was not what I would say a collector's car.

1980 Mercedes 280TE AMG
1989 Mercedes 560SEC
1990 Mercedes 560SEL with AMG parts modifications
1991 Mercedes 190E AMG with Brabus 4-cyl M102 2.6
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Price is right

My 1991 560 SEC value tracking database puts an "average" '91 SEC with your mileage at roughly $13,000. Given the apparent above average condition and stated care this car has received, I'd say your asking price is spot on. As JH says, if it truly doesn't need the things a car with this mileage typically needs and hasn't received any hamfisted mods, you'd be giving it away to take anything less. Your color combo is also uncommon and looks sharp.

J. Chip
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 06:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2009
Send a message via AIM to Benznoob26
I said at least $8k. The seller has not provided much information at all other than pictures. As much as we know the pictures could be 8 years old, Car could have all kinds of problems, etc, etc. Nothing ispositive until you see it yourself, drive it, and get a ppi. Most sellers are honest, but there are enough dishonest ones to make a smart person careful. Not trying to discredit this seller at all, just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
Russo's car is pretty much worthless IMHO... once you customize something that heavily and in that Colour you have made it Yours... chances of finding someone that sees the car in a similar light will be HARD @ best.
The op's car looks to be a beautiful unmolested example...these will Alwaulys bring a premium over a back yard modified car.
The debate between stock/custom is never ending. Most of the time I agree that stock cars are worth more. i've read bits and pieces of his redbull thread, I do not see any uncommon customization other than color, which isn't candy paint, or an anyway wild. IMO and what looks like almost everyone's opinion he did a great job.

regardless the op's car is US spec with no desirable options. And yes the color is different, but most people would not find it appealing. This is in no way a hard car to find.

If a 70k mile US spec sec is worth $13-16k, what's a 70k mile Euro sec worth? $20k? Most 80's Mercedes don't pull what KBB says they should. And throwing down $16k for this car is ridiculous. As much as we love and appreciate w126's, the rest of the world does not see it as collectable or desirable, ESPECIALLY a teal US spec sec.

A few Examples

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Last example isn't the cleanest. But you could have A LOT of work done for $8k.

Last edited by Benznoob26; 12-11-2011 at 06:39 PM.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
I posted a black on black mint condition 89 560SEC with similar miles and forum members couldnt offer more than 7-8k. It was a former Bruce Mendel car that sold for $16k or so 5000 miles prior.

I hired Bruce to sell it for me since no one was showing me the right money. Got just above $10k.

There is no way this is going to fetch $16k or anything near that. $10-12k tops.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 10:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
My 1991 560 SEC value tracking database puts an "average" '91 SEC with your mileage at roughly $13,000. Given the apparent above average condition and stated care this car has received, I'd say your asking price is spot on. As JH says, if it truly doesn't need the things a car with this mileage typically needs and hasn't received any hamfisted mods, you'd be giving it away to take anything less. Your color combo is also uncommon and looks sharp.

J. Chip
How did you come up with those "values". They seem mighty high to the real world market. If you came to the average value be soliciting actual sales prices I would be surprised. If you came to those values on just asking price, then your values are only that value to the prospective seller, not to the actual buyer. Just curious.

To the original seller, you have a beautiful car there. Hope the sale goes well for you.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 06:27 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

1991 560 value

Benznoob,

The point of the discussion concerns only 1991 560 SECs for the North American market. These were the last and best of the breed. I don't think direct comparisons to earlier "80's" vehicles, even low mileage cars, apply. Same holds true for Euros. While Euros offer more performance, they often lack the amenities of the US cars. These cars were not about performance as much as luxury touring.

None of the cars you selected as samples from Autotrader are directly comparable. While all are low mileage, none were 1991 US imports and only 1, an '87, was a 560.

J.Chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in