Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
420 SEL

Mercedes- Benz 420SEL Automatic.

Mercedes- Benz Owners Club Car.

Plate: F914 JAT.

Mileage: 135,000.

Engine: 4196cc Mercedes V8, Bosch KE- Jetronic Fuel Injection.

Performance: 0-60 8.1 Seconds, Max Speed: 141Mph, 228bhp.

Fuel Type: Unleaded Petrol.

Gearbox: 4 Speed Automatic Featuring Sports & Economy Modes Plus 2nd/3rd Manual Over-ride & Hold/Brake.

Bodywork: Two Tone Nautic Blue Metallic With Chrome Bumper & Door Inserts, Chrome Grille & Boot Plinth.

Interior: Light Grey Hide Complimented by a Full Walnut Dash Facia, Accompanying Walnut Door Cappings & Centre Console. Leather Gear Selector, Steering Wheel and Pleated Leather Door Panel Inserts. Overmats.

Wheels: Genuine 15 Hole Flat Rim Mercedes- Benz Alloys Including Full Size Alloy Spare.

Features: Air Conditioning, Metallic Paint, Alloy Wheels, CD Player With Electric Aerial, Central Locking, 6 Way Electric Adjustable Leather Front Seats, 2 Way Electric Adjustable Rear Seat, Rear Foot Rests, Electric Steering Column, Electric Tinted Windows, Power-assisted Steering, Power-assisted Brakes, Electric Tilt Slide Steel Sunroof, Electric Heated Passenger Mirror, Front And Rear Arm And Head Rests, Headlamp Wash Wipe, Illuminated Vanity Mirrors For Both Driver & Passenger, Coat Hooks, Illuminated Glove Compartment, Rear Passenger Reading Lights, Emergency Triangle, Outside Temperature Gauge.

History: Ten previous owners over the last 22 years, the first was Mercedes Benz followed by several business and several private. I have the contact details/years of ownership of eight of the owners and have had correspondence with three.

The car has had 6 registration changes; originally F791 SUU then PVK 10, A12 OAW, F307 KGP, TOU 99 and finnally F914 JAT. I have copys of most of the registration certificates.

Fully stamped Mercedes Benz history up to 109k Miles, local garages thereafter.
17 MoT’s to back up millage.
Huge history file- an inch thick with invoices off all work undertaken.
Photocopys of every V5.
Current new style (Red) V5 present & correct and in my name.
Original owners manual present.
Current MoT certificate present.

Bodywork: Very straight for age and millage. In 2009 both sides of the car were professionally re-finished to a very high standard including bumpers and cladding at a cost of over £700. Critisisms can be made of the bootlid which has a few minor marks and two of the wheels arches that are displaying some corrosion on the inner lips. Both front wings where they meet the headlights are solid but one is showing a slight blemish. The only area the should be addressed as a matter of urgency is a four inch patch of the passenger rear wheel arch where the paint was chipped after the refinish and has bloomed somewhat. There are various small marks around the car but nothing detrimental to the overal apperance. I have has a small amount of welding done to the OSR inner wheel arch for MoT. The usual W126 rust traps of the boot wells are solid as is the rar parcel shelf. The bumper chromes are mainly good with minimal corrosion although the OSF corner has a small dent. Please study the photograps. Any inspection Welcome.

Interior: Very clean and tidy. First aid kit present and correct. The door cards are good with no warping, the dash is good with minimal cracking, the walnut excellent throughtout. Head lining is clean and presents no sagging. Ecectric rear electric seat is working as are the front elcetric seats. The usual wear patch on the drivers bolster is minimal although it is suffering from a stitching failure on the base- around four inches. The carpets are good for age and millage and are covered by deep pile fitted overmats and rear foot stools. All switches work, all electric windows work and electric tilt slide steel sunroof works correctly. The central locking works with no loss of vacume. Only a couple of critisisms worth mentioning- one, the air conditioning, which was overhauled some time ago but has snapped it’s belt last summer- cheap and easy to replace. The CD player has stopped working- perhaps a fuse or connection? The passenger side of the center console has had a mobile phone cradle fitted at some point and sports a repair now. Please study the photograps. Any inspection Welcome.

The suspension is good with no sagging. New NSF upper contol arm. The brakes fine with working ABS. The automatic gearbox was overhauled 16k miles ago at a cost of £900 and has just had a new vacume switch fitted at a cost £100. The sport & economy setting work fine and it has a decent firm change. It has been set up to pull away if first gear- an old Mercedes normally pulls away in second under all but full throttle. The gearboxselector cable/rod can creak slightly when going from D to R to N- lubrication perhaps? The handbrake works well. The power steering is light, free from notches and has the box tightend for MoT. The cruise is untested. The exhaust is fine and is free from leaks. The bosch fuel pumps are fine but are running quite loudly due to the rubber mounting deteriorating which causes vibration- a cheap and easy fix. Inspection more than welcome.

Engine: The Mercedes V8 runs well, pulls like a train and has used very little oil in my ownership. I have fitted a replacement Bosche KE-Jetronic fuel metering head, idle control valve and idel relay at considerable expense. It runs slightly lumpy at idle, getting a little better as it warms up. It would really benefit from a thorough service although I have change the oil regularly. It idles at 550rpm In N when cold, around 1000rpm in N when warm, 550rpm at Idle (Warm or Cold) In D. It has a light tap from a sticking lifter on cylinder number 4 which has quietend down considerably with every oil change I have done.

Unlike many eBayers, I’ve listed every possible problem I am aware of. Honesty is the best policy and I don’t like dissapointments. That said, I am only human, and aay have missed something- this is a complicated piece of machinery and opinions differ from person to person- so viewing Is HIGHLY recommended.

Reason For Sale: Due to the arrival of a Porsche.

1991 420SE LPG (173k) Smoke Silver (Restored)
1989 420SEL (139k/FSH) Nautic Blue
1983 380SEC Stratton AMG (100k/FSH) Thistle Green
1988 300SE Auto (125k) Astral Silver (Sold)
1992 230TE Auto (137k) Almandine Red (Sold)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: