WTB: Great to Excellent W123. Or maybe something new...? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1984 Euro 280E - 1978 280CE (SOLD) - 1983 300D (SOLD) - 1981 300D (SOLD)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
WTB: Great to Excellent W123. Or maybe something new...?

Hey, I'm curiously searching around the market for the perfect W123. What I'd love to get my hands on would be a Euro 280E or 280TE. Like this one: Classic Mercedes 280E Euro (I can NOT get a hold of this guy! Here's me: Hey Mercedes 280E Euro Seller! Or this one: 84 280e documented low miles - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum That guy and I talked a few times and then a fellow board member who he told me I could contact for another opinion about the car suggested that the head gasket might be leaking. The seller disagreed and then stopped contacting me.... And then I might put in an e-mail considering the 280TE in this one: Four w123's for sale - two 280's and two 300 turbodiesels - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum, but as many people have pointed out, that's a HUGE mark up on that girl! The other cars in the ad have higher miles than I'm comfortable with. If sense can be talked concerning the TE I might go for it.

If the car was perfect, I'd consider at 300D (must be turbo) or maybe even a perfect manual Euro 240D. Maybe. Here's my list of requirements.

No rust
Euro if a 280E/280TE/240D manual(every euro 300D i've seen was non-turbo, auto trans)
Low Miles
Well documented in both European delivery history and maintenance history
Never driven in winter/salt
Original Paint or an amazing paint job done correctly
No California Emissions BS. Unless very easy to remove and revert back to original
Looking for at least 8 out of 10 interiors and exteriors. Not looking for any projects right now and I've discovered I'm pretty bad at those little detail jobs
Seller is willing to work with shipping the car as I'm in Upstate NY where these cars are somewhat rare from what I can tell.
Looking to keep the price tag well under 5 figures. I've seen some beauties out there that go well beyond $10,000 and it's been hard to keep away, but then I think of my darling wife making up a bed for me in our wood shed... The market is rough right now for cars in general, not too good for the W123s, and I'm not in a huge rush to buy so I can't wait until the price might drop if it's a bit too high.

Things I'd love as beggars are being choosers:

Black Exterior (there are some colors that I don't know if I'd be able to accept as my car...)
Manual Trans
Manual Everything (windows, sunroof, climate control, etc.)
Those cool little Euro touches, fire extinguisher, trunk triangle, vacuum adjust lights, cloth interior, etc.

If the almost perfect car came along with a couple of the requirements missing or a different arrangement of my wish list, I'd definitely consider it. I guess that includes something that isn't a W123. Definitely no coupes though. I'm very partial to W201s, w116s, w126s, and anything pre-merger AMG. Probably don't have the capital for that one though... Wife would appreciate me getting something more modern, something with an airbag, but I really love the W123. I love the 80's aesthetics and I'm not interested in any Mercedes after about 1995.

Anyway, I'm out there looking, checking Craigslists all over the country (searchtempest) and looking at E-Bay occasionally but I'd rather buy a car from someone who knows these cars, takes care of them, and can work with me to trade info without an auction countdown in the background.

E-mail me at denimwolf@gmail.com and we'll talk. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 06:43 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1979 450SL; 1973 280SE 4.5; 1986 420 SEL(SOLD)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a very nice 1986 420 SEL (light blue exterior, dark blue interior) with slightly over 115K miles that is well sorted and has complete maintenance documentation. I'm the third owner. First owner had it until 2010, second owner (a well respected BW member had it for a few months) and I have had it just over a year. PM me if you are interested and I'll be happy to send you pictures and any other details you would like.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: