PRICE REDUCED to $3500:
1986 Mercedes Benz 190E, 2.3L 16V (16 valve), charcoal exterior, black interior, 203k miles, automatic transmission. Priced very reasonnably for quick sale: $3500.00
I will also include the MB Service Manual Library for the W201 as well as many other spare parts I will no longer need.
Many pictures available here:
16V pictures by starpowervehicles - Photobucket
If you read this, you probably know how special these cars are, so I will not go into her production history.
I am selling my 16V due to lack of garage space (daughter starting to drive her own) after owning and babying this beauty since May of 2002. I bought the car with 154k miles and had it as a spare/fun car, brought up to my standards. All wearable/worn parts have been replaced in the last 50k miles you are getting a very solid, reliable car, that can go anywhere at a very reasonnable price.
So you get a car with 200k miles, but with many major components having less than 50k miles on them. The complete repair history and bills are available since my ownership, as well as many other receipts that I have from the previous owner . I have spent over $20k on this car to keep her in to shape and as close as possible to the original condition. Will be happy to email you the spreadsheet with the repairs since my ownership.
The original odo/speedometer was replaced at 191083 miles and was replaced with brand new gauge with 0 miles. Currently the mileage shows 12132 so the actual miles on this beauty is 203210.
I have never had any accidents with the car, except a minor ding done to th right rear door panel in a parking lot due a negligent driver.
I tried to described the car as best as I can and listed items that need attention at the end of this writeup. Please be aware that the car is over 25 years old.
For the age of the car I would rate the exterior paint as a 7-8. Minor dings, scratches as expected from daily use. Metal trims around front and rear windows and the two parallel running trims can use a repaint (easy job). Also, the external 16V specific plastic trim (skirts) can use new paint – see pics for imperfections. Also minor ding on right rear door mentioned above. Body is otherwise straight, absolutely no rust anywhere.
I would rate it a 9. Rear leather seats like new, almost never used. Front driver seat has a crack that was there when I bought the car and never deteriorated due to it being on the flat surface. An easy fix for a good leather shop.
Engine is strong, starts up easily every time winter or summer, hot or cold, idles as intended (I have personally replaced all sensors, actuators – will tell you all about it if you call). Compression is great at 145, 155, 142, 155 (after valve job in 05/2008, at 188846 miles). The engine does not use oil, does not leak. I get around 30 mph on highway. Always used the highest octane gasoline available in Colorado.
I have personally changed the engine oil and filter every 5000 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic. Since 0W40 became available, I have used that.
New, larger diameter, sections of exhaust pipes, catalitic converter, resonator, muffler (Eberspracher).
Transmission starts in second gear, as originally designed, shifts at correct speeds, maybe a little harsh on the 2-3 upshift upon heavy acceleration (my mechanic says it is normal for these cars).
All vacuum elements inside dash have been replaced and work correctly. However, my AC refrigerant leaked out a while ago and I never addressed it, due to very high cost of old refrigerant and my hesitation to upgrade the system to new R134; also, we rarely need AC here in Colorado.
There was a slight leak in the vacuum line, probably in the line connecting to vacuum accumulator inside the engine bay, so I have plugged the vacuum line at the firewall. I did not have time to troubleshoot it, probably an easy fix, as I know that the elements in the dash are not the cause.
Wheels are like new. Tires are Yokohama Avid V4S, 205/55-15 ETQG500, with less than 4000 miles on them (have used snow tires in the winter).
WHAT HAS BEEN UPGRADED (NON-STOCK)
- Installed 15” AMG wheels (came with 17” from previous owner)
- Removed cheesy rear spoiler, added 3rd brake light inside vechicle
- Professionally replaced whole (cracked) dash with new, including speakers
- At the same time, replaced all vacuum elements inside the dash with new
- Replaced wood trim with fiberglass – looks great, see pics!
- Replaced SAE headlamps with Euro code
- Replaced rear headlights with smoked ones from Germany (I believe they are Hella)
- Installed bi-xenon headlamps (both low and high beams are Xenon, Hella/Bosch)
- Installed european headlamp switch, which also adjusts the beam height
- Replaced all internal backlights with blue LEDs, and white LEDs on dome and rear interior
- Installed Blaupunkt radio/CD player with removable face, model Casablanca CD52 (still have the orig. Becker)
- Installed inverter (I think 300W) and USB charger in the front center ashtray
- Installed garage door opener on the rear view mirror assembly – it will work with any rolling-code garage opener – you will see a small, red button on the front dome assembly
- New odometer (unfortunately the 16V type was not available, but the one in it has the exact same gearing so mileage/odo/speed readings are correct); new odometer was installed with car having 191083 miles.
- Probably forgot a few items…
WHAT NEEDS ATTENTION
The following relatively minor itmes need attention and I have not done them mainly due to their minor nature and lack of time.
- cracked windshield at base (outside of viewing area); this is an under $250 item quoted from my local shop; I did not do it for three reasons: (1) it is not in the field of view, (2) in Colorado cracked windshields are very common due to rocks on the roads and can happen any time, and (3) if/when you put the new windshield in, it would be a good time to have the metal trims painted at the same time (see pics for imperfections).
- All door locks, ingintion, interior locks use one and the same key (you will get 3 identical keys with the car);
- The passangerdriver side door lock does not work; the tip of the door lock – where it engages to the hardware inside the door wall, is half broken; this is an easy locksmith type repair, but I do not have the tools.
- AC not working (mentioned above); vacuum line has leak to be tracked down.
NEXT MAINTENANCE ITEMS
- oil change at 15000 on (new) odometer.
- Transmission oil and filter change
- I would also change the power steering fluid by sucking out what I can from the reservoir.
- Brake fluid is OK (based on trip-tester)
Please call or email me with any questions. I will help with shipping the car, if needed.
Cell 7 1 9 - 4 6 5 – 6 2 8 3
16V pictures by starpowervehicles - Photobucket
local listing (Craigslist):
Mercedes Benz 1986 190E 2.3-16 (16 valve)