WANTED ALPINE MC3198 6 CD DECK SHOCK ABSORBERS V220 S500 FEB 2000 PROD DATE - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2000 W220 (S500) Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smile WANTED ALPINE MC3198 6 CD DECK SHOCK ABSORBERS V220 S500 FEB 2000 PROD DATE

WANTED ALPINE MC3198 6 CD DECK SHOCK ABSORBERS V220 S500 FEB 2000 PROD DATE-dscn6925.jpg

WANTED ALPINE MC3198 6 CD DECK SHOCK ABSORBERS V220 S500 FEB 2000 PROD DATE-dscn6924.jpg

WANTED ALPINE MC3198 6 CD DECK SHOCK ABSORBERS V220 S500 FEB 2000 PROD DATE-dscn6923.jpg

WANTED ALPINE MC3198 6 CD DECK SHOCK ABSORBERS V220 S500 FEB 2000 PROD DATE-dscn6922.jpg

I need quantity 4 of the internal mounting shock absorbers (BLACK and GRAY approx 1" 2.5 cm diamater circular parts shown in various photos) on which the actual Alpine CD CHANGER "floats" within the exterior case. In the instance of my V220 Model Year 2000 S500 it was verticaly mounted in the driver side rear quarter panel of the trunk. The unit would not eject the CD magazine after disasembly it was dtermiend that the electro mechanical design needed some new white lithium grease for Electornic parts along the mechanism that moves the magazine in order to play the selected CD in posiiton 1 to 6. After 11 years of use the old grease had dried up and turned sort of yellow. Easy cleaning with a lint free cloth and isopropyl 98% not the watered down common 78% you normally get at the drug store (you have to ask for the HIGHER NON WATERED DOWN VERSION 98% and naturally they charge you more for it LOL)

Once you clean off hte old dry yellowed grease all you need to do is put very sparingly a little new grease on it and gently rotate the worm gear attached to the actuator assembly that moves the magazine up an down relative to the LASER DIODE (actual play portion of the assembly) to work in the new electronic white lithium grease.

Problem is my shock absorbing bumpers some how got damages when removing the internal (actual player hardware) from the outside case in which it is mounted. A viscus white liquid did leak out of them. I checked with Alpine depot repair facility in Torrance, California and although they did graciously offer to fully referb my unit for a fixed fee of $100 + postage and isurance. They did not want to sell me ANY parts or SPECIFICALLY the (should at most cost $1 each viscus fluid mounting shock absorbers).

Since I already fixed my unit who wants to pay $100 for shock absorbers..and not to menion who watns to ship their MC3198 CD deck anyplace while disassembled since the existing shock absorbers are leaking and woud eventually result in the internal mechanical component sustaining significant shippping damage while bouncing around inside the exterior metal case?

So do any of you have an old MC3198 unit that you either wholly replaced that you can part with or know somebody at ALPINE not in the USA where I may be able to order quantity 4 of these little approx 1" diameter rubber white viscus fluid filled shock absorber bumpers.?

I will try to include a photo as natrually a photo can be worth over 2000 words in trying to describe this and more difficulty arises if you have never ventured to actaully disassemble the actual CD CHANGEr rather than just replace the whole unit.

CAUTION: If you decide to disassemble your unit be certain to reconnect the FIBER OPTICAL Cable to complete the link otherwise everything in your COMMAND SYSTEM (V220) NAV RADIO OR TAPE DECK will not work properly.

It DOES work fine w/o the CD CHANGER INSTALLED as long as you make certain to reconnect the fiber optic cable so it has a contiguous CLOSED LOOP...it helps if you are familair with PROVIDING AN ELECTRONICS SERVICE AREA clean environmnet. I would NOT suggest doing the electronic disassembly CLEANING or REPAIR in a typical auto repair garage. Which is why for many SERVICE FACILITY (INCLUDING THE MBZ DEALERS AND MANY INDEPENDENTS sending it to ALPINE in Torrance, CA (LOCAL U.S. PHONE AREAS CODE IS 310 for directory assistance is an effective solution.

IN EITHER CASE this is considerably better than paying MBZ $400 to $900 for a "new" unit and then having to return your old changer for a REFUND of the "CORE" charge.

I look fowrard to news from members on MC3198 units you are no longer using. If you need to go voice to explain or clarify anything please feel free to email me an i can reply with a voice number.

Have a great day.

Last edited by ssnantucket; 06-10-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: addition of clarifynig text regarding teh actual shock absorbing bumpers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in