post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 1984 500SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: 1984 500SEL / 147K

For sale is my First Gen 500SEL used as a DD while being fixed up/brought back from the dead for the past year. This is a carbon copy of my CL add, can be found here: 1984 500SEL Mercedes Benz - 147K

Up for grabs is my 1984 (First Generation) 500SEL - Blue exterior over beige interior. Owned just over a year. Originally a restoration project that must end now that I am no longer able to work on the car. Ideally I'd like to sell to fellow enthusiast but car needs to be gone soon either by sale or donation. Clear title in hand. Has been my daily driver for last 8 months. Details as follows.

The Good

- I have all original paperwork - original import paperwork, as well as the maintenance that was performed by original owners while car was in their care.
- Car has no rust - California car until a couple of years ago - Carfax report confirmed when I bought the car.
- Within last year replaced with new parts and done by reputable shop (and have receipts to prove it)
- Complete left camshaft
- Valve covers
- Timing chain / rails
- Valve adjustment
- Power Steering Pump
- Complete P/S gearbox rebuild
- Idle Control Unit
- Idle Control Valve
- Rear Driver side Caliper
- Transmission Cooling Hoses

The Bad

- Paint starting to fade slightly (have to be close to car but it is noticeable)
- Interior is at best 5 out of 10. Cracks in leather seats (no tears) and noticeable wear on armrest. Wood trim beginning to show signs of wear and separation.
- Hydraulic trunk holders do not work. Only a problem if you have a problem manually holding trunk open
- Chip in top left hand of windshield - not a crack. Has been there since I bought the car. Has never leaked or spider-webbed on me.
- Rear power seats work but need new cables. About $30 but it's an unnecessary luxury for me so I never bothered to fix it.
- Couple of small parking lot scratches. No dents and nothing noticeable unless you get close to car.
- Needs alignment. Pulls to right slightly under hard braking.
- Not the greatest looking wheels (brake fade as well as general lack of upkeep by previous owners)

**Important**

Car has brake problem. Developed last week after not being driven for a week. Still brakes fine (pads/rotors are still good) but pedal feel is slightly long and noise can be heard under braking. Since I lost my work space I have no time or place to look into it, nor the will after new purchase. Can be driven but do not recommend it. Would rather tow.

**Important**

That's the gist. I tried to be as fair as possible. Drives truly fantastic. Perfect idle, does not drip ONE drop of oil/coolant/brake fluid or anything else. Shifts fine, I've taken it to numerous trips to Michigan/Wisconsin and the sort. Even with the banged up interior still the most comfortable drive I've had (although I'm tall so I might be biased towards big cars) Please, no scams or low-balling. Car is worth easily twice the amount being asked in just parts. I would like to see it live on, but there is a level of financial responsibility that I have to keep in mind. If interested, please email or call John at Seven Seven Three, Four Three Zero, Nine Nine Two Six. Cash only, would have to transfer title after purchase. If not sold, will be donated. Thanks for looking, and if you have any further questions, please let me know. Otherwise, happy car shopping.

Car is located in the NW suburbs of Chicago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Did you sell this car to a guy named Reinhold? Either he bought it dirt cheap or this thing scared him for some reason, cause I bought it from him in june. The trans kinda sucks but it's completely drive-able. I'm slowly buying parts for a complete suspension and trans overhaul. I guess I'm just feeling nostalgic, like to know any more history you may have on it, besides what I've seen in the carfax. I do have the original books, but it would be nice to have that paperwork showing all that recent work too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in