LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1984 280 SL (Euro style) ***Hot Rod ***

You won't see this very often for sale and the purists will cringe, but the hot rod enthusiasts love it. I've had a lot of muscle cars and none of them get the attention this car does and if you have the need for speed in a classy package, look no further. Classic 1984 desirable gray-market 280 sl looks like every other European elegant Mercedes, but the deep, dark rumble under the hood turns heads at every stop. Lurking under the original hood and body lies a 1993 Ford Thunderbird 5.0/302 H.O (Bill Elliot Special) with a Ford B-303 performance cam. Dual exhaust completes the throaty sound. Equipped with a Ford automatic overdrive, it has a shortened driveshaft with a Ford front yoke. Rack and Pinion steering from a 1989 Dodge Omni. All engine accessories and wiring harness from a 93 Thunderbird. Supposedly put in 2 owners ago by an Engineer, it was done well. Fun, fun to drive and we've had it as fast as we wanted to go with pedal still left. The real bonus is if you need an engine part, you're not paying for a $900 Mercedes water pump, you pay $30 for a Ford one. This car looks like any classic European style SL with the speed, sound and power of an American V-8 under the hood. Everything else original. White body has original paint and no rust. Adjustable headlights work, soft top in good condition, includes hard top, body is in good condition. Interior is fair, not a mess and very usable. Newer model seats with the bigger headrests, but we have the original seats (just not very comfortable due to springs weak). AC not hooked up but could be with some adaptations. Spedometer works with the Ford tranny, but is off 10-15 mph depending on how fast you're going. Odometer does not work, so mileage unknown. New radio. Even the clock works. Window has a crack and 3 chips but it has stayed stable with the probably 3000 miles we've put on it. No running problems at all, fires right up and strains at the gate...it wants to GO! Looking for fun in a classic package and low repair bills...this is car for you! Email me for photos $7000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 06:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 560SL,380SL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
We REALLY need pictures of details of the engine transplant, particularly of the steering. If you are having a hard time posting them, ANY member of the 107 forum, including me, will help.

Homebrew MB First Gear Start!

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
I don't have any more details on the steering. What I posted is what I got from the guy I purchased it from who purchased it from the Engineer that put everything in. I'd be happy to post a picture of the car and the engine if you guys can give me quick and easy instructions.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 11:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Yep, go to bottom left, click on "add reply", go to top of reply box on right side that has the little paperclip and click it. go to the first slot and click "browse" then find your pic, click it, then click "download".

"If you don't know what you're looking for it's kind of hard to find it!"

CCTORONTO:
Quote:
If it helps America through it's current crisis, I say go ahead! We can take it, after all we're Canadian!

Blame Canada!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
pictures of car, engine and interior attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1613.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	334284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1609.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	334285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1606.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	334286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1607.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	334287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1620.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	334288  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in