LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: 1977 280SE - Euro Spec W116, AMG car in NJ $1800

Offered for sale, a european specification 1977 Mercedes Benz 280SE AMG. This car was recently recused from a local driveway where it had sat unused for several years. I came across the car accidentally. It was dirty and smelly, but had potential. I couldn't bear to just leave it there to deteriorate, so I bought it! The floors, rocker panels, and jack points are were solid. Interior was nice, and the odometer showed only 28,000 miles!

I bought the car with the intension of bringing it back to life, and thats exactly what I've done. I learned it has a documented 91,000 miles. The car was imported from Germany in 1986 with about 100,000 kilometers, with service records recorded in the maintenance book up to that point. The last service was conducted in Fellbach Germany, which is now home of the Mercedes Benz classic center! When the car was imported, a new speedometer was installed. The odometer still works and now reads 28,951 miles.

Interesting features:
- Real front and rear AMG spoilers
- High compression euro spec M110 engine
- Velour interior
- Rear head rests
- Manual climate control, no AC
- European head lights with wipers and washers
- Trailer hitch with removable ball
- 14x6.5" wheels made in West Germany, by Intra. Interesting aftermarket wheels!
- No catalytic converter
- Manual windows
- Power sunroof (needs a motor, which I'll include).

Some documentation of the work I did to revive the car:
- Change oil, filter
- Service transmission, with new filter and febi transmission fluid
- Flush coolant, refill with original MB coolant
- Replace radiator hoses, hoses associated with thermostat housing, and thermostat
- Replace belts
- Front and rear brake pads, rotors, and hoses
- Repack front wheel bearings
- Change rear differential fluid
- Change power steering fluid
- Replace spark plugs
- Valve adjustment, new valve cover gasket set
- Power antenna idler and mast
- Tires: two essentially new Kumhos, and two older Pirelli P400s I had in the garage. 205/70 14

ALL PARTS I used were Mercedes Benz original (you know, from the dealer). No aftermarket, OEM, etc. My intension was to do work on the car that will last, and thats what I did.

Engine has 180-200 lbs of compression in every cylinder. There was no corrosion developed in the engine when it sat, the cams and valve train are clean and show no wear. It runs smoothly, but definitely needs to be driven to clean up the fuel system. I pumped the tank empty and started with new gas. The air metering plate on the K-jet system moves smoothly and is very clean. Engine starts easily, but stumbles for a few seconds before running smoothly. It also hesitates a bit before its warmed up. When warm, it has good throttle response. I'd guess that an hour at 70mph would do wonders at this point.

Transmission shifts between gears well, at least for the very short distance I drove it. Kickdown solenoid works. Suspension is surprisingly stiff and appears to be in good condition. Flex discs and driveshaft support bearing look good. Brakes, of course, are excellent. Vacuum locks work, but leak when unlocked. I know the trunk element, at least, needs to be replaced. All instruments work, but fuel gauge might be a little optimistic. Heater blower works nicely.

I haven't driven the car due to some strict laws here in NJ about insurance, etc! I didn't register it, so I can't drive it. It doesn't make sense to spend another few hundred dollars to register and insure the car now that I've decided to sell it. I did bring it up and down the street a bit to confirm that basics are working, and the odometer turns. I have a clean NJ title.

This car is ready for someone to take it to the next level, or just use it as a beater. It could use a good cleaning, beyond what I did initially. Mechanically, worst case you might have to throw some injectors and a warmup regulator in it to sort out the injection system. This is a light weight, simple european W116. Its a completely different animal than US specs cars and a real joy to drive.

Cosmetically, it needs some attention to surface rust on the roof around the sun roof, and a few patches here and there around the car. There is some tree sap on the front of the car which I've started removing with a clay bar. The floors, rockers, and jack points are solid. There is some peeling around the jack points, but they're not rotted out. I've owned lots and lots of 60s, 70s, and 80s Mercedes, so I speak with experience. This car would cleanup very nicely in the hands of a competent body man. Rear window seal is rotted and needs replacement.

Price is $1800. Considering the amount of money spent on parts, and the time spent to bring the car to where it is now, I think this is fair. Its the most sorted-out beater you can buy! Bring your plates and drive it home. Car is located in Teaneck, NJ.

Two pages of pictures here:
1977 Mercedes Benz 280SE - Page 1

I'm new to the forum here, but have been involved in the Mercedes community for years. This seems like a lively group that might have some interest!

Email: jaime@jaimekop.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture-6.jpg
Views:	4007
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	326226  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Boring Cars...meh!

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 81 280E, 84 500SEC, 87 560, 89 "300E", 91 500SL, 15 E350 4Matic Estate, 71 BMW 2002, +others
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I'll buy the chin spoiler off it at an attractive price.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/nutz4benz/W123/6C3A9CA5-EDFF-4834-8125-34B70B20A676_zpsiyesrawz.jpg
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 06:43 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: currently no MBs
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
nice car bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in