LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Immaculate 1970 416 DOKA w 20 speed FOR SALE

It has come time to part with my beloved Mog. My wife and I are expecting our first child, and I'm slowly accepting the fact that I won't have time to play with the mog. I hope it goes to a good home.

Here are the specs:

1970 416 DOKA LIST PRICE $29,500
Link to photos: MobileMe Gallery
NO RUST, immaculate condition
69K KMs Somewhere just over 3000 hrs
Standard axles
20 sp cascade transmission
Front and rear hydraulics and PTOs
Tipper with cylinder
NEW XM47 14.5/20 tires
aftermarket seats, "hi-top" roof
Atkinson Vos dog house cover
12V electrical
Truck is registered, inspected, and insured in the State of VT

I've been through this truck pretty thoroughly, all fluids and filters have been changed, there currently are no leaks, body is perfect, the only flaw is one tiny dent under the rear driver's side door handle, you have to look carefully to find it, I can provide a photo. NO RUST underneath, I can provide photos to prove that as well. Mechanically the truck is rock solid, I'd drive it across the country tomorrow. There are only a few minor mechanical things to note: the synchros between 3rd and 4th and 4th and 5th are worn, you need to double clutch between them. This hasn't been a big issue for me because 90% of my road driving is in 5th and 6th, or the split gears in between. Due to the cascade tranny, the intermediate gears fall in between the road gears, so you can effectively split each road gear, giving you 4th, 4 and a half, 5th, 5 and a half, etc. Really helps the road manners, the tighter ratios help you stay squarely in the torque curve. The pipe fitting on the main air line leaving the compressor leaks a little, but the truck comes up to pressure upon starting quickly. The rubber gasket around the dog house cover is rather deteriorated, which allows a little more heat to radiate through the dog house than it would otherwise, it's not an expensive repair, just hasn't been a big deal for me. These are the only issues I'm aware of, and I'll happily discuss them and other details of the truck with anyone.

In addition to the truck, I have an FL4 loader in excellent condition which I'm asking $3900 for, and a set of 4 NEW RUD diamond pattern 12.5/20 tire chains which are still in their original factory delivery bags for $500. I am told they fit the 14.5 XM-47s, but have never mounted them so can't confirm that.

I'm located near Woodstock VT. If anyone has specific questions, photo requests, etc I'll reply as soon as possible.

I hope the buyer loves this truck as much as I have! Time to move on to a new exciting chapter in my life I guess....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, G500, Volvo C303
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Keep it, you will still use and enjoy it.

FOR SALE: 1985 U1300L 200HP $50,000
FOR SALE: 1969 404.1 crawler mog $25,000

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Man that is a good looking truck. I like the orange.

Ok, you have fulfilled your obligation. Tell the wife that you have advertised it for sale but because of the economy no one is buying. Which is unfortunately true. You will be glad you didn't sell it and have room for whole family outings to boot. A man can only give so much
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:33 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: U1300L Turbo x 3
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am going to sound a little like a hardass here...

If you think you will have a unimog shaped hole in your life after you sell it, don't. Also, you won't get 29,000 for your truck. If it's got a worn transmission, missing battery box cover, dented fenders, and original door panels inside you probably will get offers less than that.

In addition, keep your truck. (did I already say that?) you won't get to do much with the truck for about a year, but then after that kids love riding in them. Once your kid is a year old you will regain some amount of your life back. Use that time to rework the cabin and install as much sound insulation as humanly possible.

Then, you can drive around in a unimog with the whole family which would be a lot of fun.

My advice, like all free advice, is what you think it's worth. I have 2 kids (one more on the way) and owned a couple unimogs in my past. Due to financial circumstances I don't have one right now but my eyes are always on the lookout for the correctly priced doka unimog. You seem to have both right now so unless you're hurting for cash, keep the truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingbear View Post
It has come time to part with my beloved Mog. My wife and I are expecting our first child, and I'm slowly accepting the fact that I won't have time to play with the mog.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ACAD_Cowboy
It does look like a very clean truck but it might be wise to disclose the scratched windshield on the driver side. I know it doesn't effect the physical operation of the truck but it would sure both me every time I looked out.

-= Francis =-

These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Sharp eye. I've barely noticed it in 2 years of driving it because the sun has to glint off it just so in order for it to be easily visible, but yes, there is a very minor surface scratch high on the windshield, above eye level, caused by something rough having been stuck in the wiper at some point prior to my ownership.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ACAD_Cowboy
Trying to help. People can be horrible when they are looking for reasons not to pay. Other than that I wish I had the scratch.

-= Francis =-

These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
I am going to sound a little like a hardass here...

If you think you will have a unimog shaped hole in your life after you sell it, don't. Also, you won't get 29,000 for your truck. If it's got a worn transmission, missing battery box cover, dented fenders, and original door panels inside you probably will get offers less than that.
I appreciate the encouragement! But alas it's still for sale. :-)

Regarding the deficiencies you mentioned, I'd observe that the majority of 406-416 owners I've met over the years have reported worn synchros between a couple gears, with the transmissions otherwise living a long and happy life. The battery box cover is off because I'm working on relocating the battery to under the back seat, and forgive me for my ignorance, but what's wrong with original inside door panels?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 03:15 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: a couple round ones
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
If you can pull one of your chains and get it to fit on one of your tires, I would be very interested in all 4.
G Vavra
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 12:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1961 404.115, 1969 700AP
Awesome MOG.

Aaron's spot on about the kid and family stuff from my experience. My son (almost 2) loves the Unimog. My big boy toys definatley enrich his life. He always exited to go for a ride! Picture 306 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in