LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Selling My Baby

Seems I'm always asking for experienced owners advice, and this is no different. I'm considering selling my 1994 E320 coupe and have so many people telling me what I should ask, I thought I'd ask you folks what makes sense.

Kelly blue book (don't get me started with them), says $4995. Problem with that is they are strictly basing that on the body and options on the car.

The shop where I always take it since I bought it 3 years ago, (Rolf's in Washington state) tell me because of the maintenance records, clean title, current emissions and registration documents no less than $7500.

Ultimately it's my decision. This might seem a bit nieve of me but I want to sell it to someone who will continue to take care of it and want to hear from someone who actually owns an older Mercedes that's been maintained

What's wrong with it? Needs detailing, has a minor scratch and paint needs to be updated(?)

Why sell it? Finances, enough said.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some kind of perspective here, because this is not an easy decision for me. I really like my car and if things were different, I wouldn't sell it.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 2000 e320 4matic
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You don't specify mileage, repairs done, color, in fact any details that would allow us to opine on value. And, pictures would help.

2008 E350 4matic wagon
2000 E320 4matic wagon (sold)
2001 E430 4matic sedan (sold)
1989 300SE (sold)
1994 E420 (sold)
1988 300TE (sold)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:13 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1985 500SL - 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow Edition
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You didn't list the mileage, which is needed to make any determination. Also, another big factor whether all the W124 biggies have been taken care of (wiring harness, head gasket, evaporator).

If it needs to be repainted like you are implying, its very hard to imagine someone paying more than $5000 for it unless its a super low mileage example. If the car has North of 150k on it, and none of the biggies out the way yet, its more like half that 5k estimation.

85 500SL: 1984 300SD: 190k 1997 S500: 226k
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 1991 300E
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've observed that many Mercedes offered for sale are more highly valued by their current owner than prospective purchasers. The higher value may be a truer estimation of the vehicle's worth, but it's always a buyer's market with cars. The current soft economy makes this even more true.

If it's really a $7.5K car to you and the market will bring you only $5K or less, keep it and enjoy it. If the wolf is at the door, sell it for market value and consider it an honest sale.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 11:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 91 MB 300CE, 96 Saab 900S Conv., 01 BMW 330i, 05 MB C230, 07 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
7500 for a 94 with peeling paint? Good luck.

Without knowing any of the additional info already requested by others, I'd say that even 5K might be pushing it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 05:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 04 E500; 00 SL500 Sport/Pano; 94 E420; 92 500E; 92 300CE; 81 380SL
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Fair market value

Originally Posted by solotr View Post

I thought I'd ask you folks what makes sense, and want to hear from someone who actually owns an older Mercedes that's been maintained

The value of these older benz is very dependant upon it's current conditions and proven maintenance, and you haven't given us much to go on.

These types all have common weak points that can be very expensive to fix. So a CE with a recently rebuilt transmission is worth a lot more than a high milage one that hasn't had tranny rebuild yet.

Other common repairs that are a proven need include head gasket, water pumps, timing chain and it's associated hardware, radiator, A/C- Climate control components, etc. etc.

Without any of this history information, the value is only a guess from afar.

If your paying to have all work done, it's real easy to drop several hundreds, maybe a few thousand dollars to get it right.

Paint you say??? wow, unless it's diy, a good paint job could be the value of the car...

So I have a CE, paid around $5K almost two years ago, it already had a recent tranny rebuild and a bunch of engine work and the paint is in pretty good shape. Since I've owned it I did a head gasket change out to correct leaking oil problem, and while the head was off, did the things that make sense even if they were still working..

If I were in the market for a 124 with a 104 motor, I'd be looking for one with records showing repairs similar to my own CE. If the work was done correctly you wouldn't need to worry about it for another 100K miles or so..

But, if those things haven't been done on this type (with say 140,000 miles or so), I'd be either looking to lower the asking price by a bunch, or look elsewhere..

If you want to sell the car on this forum, or get more accurate asking price info, you need to provide detailed maintenance history, pictures, and an honest list of things that need to be fixed or are in less than good condition.

But like other posters have already replied, it's a buyers market..

Sorry to hear you need to sell it, the CE's are so easy to get used to. My appreceation of them grows the more I drive mine... subtle elegance

just my 2 cents for what it's worth...

SL's & 124's

Last edited by Aero I; 07-23-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: