post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jul 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Please help estimate value of an 80s 230e

Hello all,

I am new to the BenzWorld forum & this is my first post so please be gentle w/me I have read both "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!" and "Bruce's Guide to Buying a Used Mercedes" (thank you, Bruce!) before posting my request.

I am hoping for some help estimating the value of a very nice Mercedes 230e (W123 I believe?) I came across this past weekend in California. The sedan appeared to be early 80s and caught my eye due to a very fine exterior - beautiful metallic olive green paint & virtually no chips or dents. The only damage I could see was a cracked front headlamp/ lense. The interior appeared to be in very good condition also - the tan leather seats were in tact. In all, it appeared to be in excellent condition. Initially, I was looking for a car for a daughter who is about to start college, but after mulling it over, I think she needs something newer and I need this nice old MB :-D

With luck I was able to locate the owner and asked if the car was for sale. To my surprise, the kindly older Italian gentleman said "Make me an offer!" - I wasn't sure how to respond. He proceeded to tell me that he was the original owner and that the car was mechanically sound. He said the only real problems were the broken headlamp and stated the speedometer didn't work, but that he had a new OEM speedo in the box in his garage that he'd had for a couple years but never bothered to install/reconnect. The owner told me the car was quite peppy and that he drove it regularly without any problems.

Unfortunately, due to time pressure, I had to go before I could ask many more questions. The owner of the vehicle gave me his contact information and told me to get back to him this weekend with an amount if I was interested.

Long story short, given that I don't know the exact year (‘80, ‘81 I'm guessing), the fact that I neglected to ask the mileage on the vehicle , nor have I had the car inspected, could you experienced MB buyers/sellers help me to estimate the value on this vehicle? I realize my dearth of information doesn't help. I would like to buy it if it's a sound car, but I don't want to low-ball the nice old fellow and I certainly don't want to pay something approaching new car prices.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I will do my best to acquire more information and pictures this Saturday and will follow up in this post.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1987 560 SEL, 1989 500 SEL
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey Max,

Yeah the lack of info and pics is going to make it hard to help. You might want to try posting in the W123 section too since it isn't really a for sale/trade/wanted/giveaway kind of post.

Ok, enough of the should of's. Does the car look like this?

Classic Mercedes-Benz 230E For Sale (1985) on Car And Classic UK

I would guess being in CA and it being a one owner car it is relatively rust free. If milage (or KM since this is a UK ad) and condition are comparable price might be as well. Certainly ask for records of repairs to give you an indication of mechanical condition and a pre purchase inspection is probably wise if you don't buy vintage cars on a regular basis.

I think if you ask a lot of questions, look over the car (over and over again), and consider a well cared for example of a 123 gasser probably goes for around $3-4,000 I don't think you will insult him or over pay.

Good luck and look forward to a follow up. Just be sure to post back here if you started another thread so I can see how you made out.
Attached Images
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 2000 e320 4matic
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
By the way, the interior is likely not leather. Instead it's MB-Tex, a wondrous vinyl that MB uses in their cars. And if you're around Tarzana, take it to enrique at Mr. MB Motors. He's the man.

2008 E350 4matic wagon
2000 E320 4matic wagon (sold)
2001 E430 4matic sedan (sold)
1989 300SE (sold)
1994 E420 (sold)
1988 300TE (sold)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: