LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Beautiful 1991 560SEL for sale Atlanta

Hi there- well just as I finish all of my projects on both Mercedes the wife wants a new TDI diesel so we took advantage of Memorial day sale incentives. Hello big car note! As a result I am selling both of my Mercedes- one gas (1991 560 SEL) and one diesel (1991 300D). Info on the 560SEL:

Current mileage 77,300, everything works (even the cruise control!). A very nice clean car with shiny paint, like new interior. No dash cracks.

I've had it for 2 years and have done quite a bit of work to make it even nicer. It is in immaculate shape, white exterior, gray leather interior with new (6 months ago) floor mats. I've driven it from Atlanta to south Florida twice and would not hesitate to hop in and drive across the US in it. Its given us about 10,000 trouble free miles and is such a nice riding car on the highway. I checked the Carfax when we first bought it and it was clean with no damage history- I have kept it the same, and spent about $5000 on mainly mechanical restoration in the time owned. No damage or rust on car. (It does have tiny door dings in a few places but nothing major).

New items:
Completely replaced every part of front suspension- New heavy duty Bilstein front shocks, new rear accumulators, new high pressure (SLS) hose, new tie rods, "dogbones"- suspension bearing brackets, upper control arms, balljoints, steering dampener, pittman arm bushings.

All fluids flushed and replaced, I've been using Brad Penn 20W/50 semi-synthetic oil. Mobil One ATF in transmission, Mobil synthetic diff. oil. When I first bought it I had Jono of Blue Ridge MB Atlanta replace the timing chain, tensioners and followers, as preventative maintenance- should be good for another 100K or 20 years. I footed the expensive bill for that job but its a must do on these cars.
New spark plugs, rotor cap and fuel relay. New fuel filter. New motor mounts (Lemforder/OEM not Febi junk).
Car still using R-12 freon and it works well- previous owner replaced compressor at some point so its not the old original.

New radiator, new belts and hoses, thermostat. New Akebono Euro-ceramic brake pads all around. Front rotors replaced by previous owner. Dash is nice and not cracked, seats show no wear, drivers side seat has been restuffed and is is nice.
New flex discs in drivetrain. Alignment done by Gran Turismo East of Atlanta which is my opinion the best shop in the area where all the die hard car nuts go for tires and suspension work. Tires are Altimax HP with about 4k on them (comparable to the Michelin MXV4).
Factory radio installed, speakers work fine but are probably original. Bosch Euro headlights.
This car essentially needs nothing except a new home. I think I would keep it forever if it was a diesel. I really LOVE it but don't need it anymore and want it to go to an enthusiast. I'll take photos and will be happy to forward to interested parties.

Located in Atlanta suburbs, asking $7500 obo. Thanks! Rick
four-oh- four) 713-8803

Name:	DSC_1061.jpg
Views:	2176
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	311658   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1063.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	311659   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1057.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	311660   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1058.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	311661   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1072.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	311662  

91 560 SEL

Last edited by mtbguy; 06-03-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: adding photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 04:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: '87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
Bump

For a sweet example. Appears to be well-sorted, with all the attributes buyers are advised to look for. While not in the market... I was curious about your replacing the "dogbones" (suspension bearing brackets) given its low mileage. I'm facing the same job on one of my SEC's & wondered if you still had the invoice for that work - if so, could I inquire about parts/labor ?

Either way... good luck with the sale
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the bump and compliment. Its funny you asked about the dogbones- my OEM ones were actually fine looking but I thought since I was "in there" i would replace all components. I probably could have saved some time and money by just reinstalling the old ones, but they were 18 year old rubber so bit the bullet. The new ones were very hard to press in even with a real professional doing the job- I watched while Jono used the press.

I bought actual Mercedes OEM ones from Jono at blueridge MB. They were more expensive than FEBI knockoffs, I think I spent $275 for the bushings and then had Jono press them in for me. I think the FEBI ones are about $100 Less, but have heard lots of horror stories on the metal sleeve insert inside the rubber cracking in less than six months. Apparently only Mercedes ones are solid metal and the knockoffs have cheap cast metal thats brittle. I have all receipts in the file cabinet but would say that I spent about $2200 roughly on parts and labor for the suspension- but I replaced almost every single part I could think of, and did some of the labor myself.

The best thing about the 126 series is that when you work on them you recognize that almost every single part on the car is designed to be serviced/rebuilt rather than thrown out.

91 560 SEL
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 07:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1985 500SL - 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow Edition
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I couldn't pass this car up. Sent him a deposit this evening and will pick up next week.

Thanks Rick!

85 500SL: 1984 300SD: 190k 1997 S500: 226k
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you!

91 560 SEL
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 11:11 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Beautiful car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in