LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jun 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post UK: Mercedes-Benz 300SE W126 - £1500

The 1980s are associated with a great many legends; Margaret Thatcher, Crockett and Tubbs, and Spandau Ballet. Chief among these giants of the era however is the W126 Model S Class Mercedes-Benz. You are in the very fortunate position of being able to buy your very own example of this classic model!

1989 F registered, 300SE, built in West Germany.
MOT till May 2010
Tax till July 2010
173,000 miles
Grey paint
Grey leather
Automatic gearbox
Cruise control
Electric windows x 4
Tilt/Slide electric sunroof
Electric steering column
Electric front seats
Heated front seats
Electric aerial
External temperature guage
Sony radio/cassette (XR351)
Remote central locking (2 alarm fobs)

I bought this car in May last year and it’s being replaced by a company car. It’s performed its role admirably and has never once let me down. It’s been in almost daily use and has covered over 10,000 miles with no drama, no fuss, and with total reliability. Not bad for a 21 year old classic.

The car is not in concourse condition, which shouldn’t surprise you given the bargain price. However, fundamentally the car is in good shape and I’m fairly sure was stripped and re-sprayed at some point prior to my buying it. There is very little rust and certainly none at the base of the rear window. The chrome, whilst cracked in a few places is bright and shiny, and the panels are all straight and the panel gaps small and consistent.

The car is powered by the M103 3 litre straight 6, with approximately 180bhp. This makes the car surprisingly spritely at motorway speeds, and sustained high speed cruising is very easy and comfortable, particularly with the cruise control active. The 300SE is the economical W126, and careful driving should see mid 20s mpg.

The tyres are the same that were on the car when I bought it and have plenty of life left. The wheels (15” 16 hole Mercedes alloys), whilst not in concourse shape, are all genuine and solid, as is the spare.
Like all W126s, the boot is cavernous and more than capable of swallowing huge amounts of stuff.

The car is fitted with an unobtrusive after-market alarm system, meaning it has remote locking. Two alarm fobs (and two keys) will be sold with the car.

Every option that I have listed above in the specification is in full working order.

The medical kit is present and still unopened – a sign that the car has been well cared for throughout its long life.

In the 10 months I’ve had this car, I gave it a major service (all fluids, including gearbox, and filters) to set a good base line, and have replaced the oil every 3000 miles. The car always starts at the first turn of the key. I’ve also replaced the front brake discs and pads, meaning the ABS assisted braking is stable and straight.

The car will come with the service history, and all recent receipts, invoices, and documentation since my ownership, and some from before.
The car has the full array of owner’s manuals and other documentation supplied with it from new.

This has just been a great car. If I could justify running three cars in a household of two people I would definitely hold onto this superb piece of engineering.

I’m looking for offers around £1500 for the car, though I am open to negotiation.

If you wanted the car with a brand new MOT, that’s fine and something I can take care of, but then the £1500 is not negotiable.

The car is still in frequent use so the mileage may increase slightly from what is listed here.

You are welcome to come and look at the car and test drives can be arranged – please ensure your insurance covers you for this. I live between St. Neots and Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire, about 10 minutes off the A1.

Please contact me at or via PM if you’re interested or have any questions.

Thanks for looking!

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: