post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 1978 240D (4-spd manual)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: 1978 240D w/manual transmission in Central NJ

I purchased this car in the middle of September 2009 for approximately $2,200 from a Mercedes Benz diesel enthusiast as a birthday present for myself, as I have always been fond of the Mercedes Benz W123 diesels. Due to the fact that my job is relocating in the near future, I have found myself in the difficult situation of having to part ways with this car. I have made almost $2,000 in repairs, as detailed below. Receipts are available.

This car was kept within a single family since the early 1990s. It had Pennsylvania antique registration with plates when purchased. As described to me, the car was sent through a shop where it was given a mild exterior restoration with a paint job. Color can be described as a pearl cream shade. The paint is presentable, but has a few small defects in spots where there was apparent marginal preparation resulting in very minor surface rust spots.

This car is far from being mint, but is in good presentable condition. The front grill could probably be described as excellent with bright and straight chrome trim pieces. All lights work as they should.

Under-body side rails are in good shape with anti-corrosion coating in place. Jacking points have no decay or problems. However, there is some decay on the floorboards of the passenger side. I noticed this recently after a bad rain storm. This seems to be the result of a previous leak, maybe from the firewall area. Tires are very good to excellent with much of the tread remaining. Wheels are 15”, fifteen-slot upgrade alloy rims as used on the later S-class series.

Interior is in good to very good condition. All lights work as they should. Wind lacing on front doors is frayed and should be replaced, front and rear window seals are also beginning to show age and should be replaced if the car will be parked outside during a rain storm. Dashboard is in good condition with minor cracks. Carpeted trim along the sides is missing. A/C and heat work well. Sunroof is of sliding manual operation and opens and closes as it should.

Since purchasing the car, the following has been performed by a Mercedes Benz trained mechanic in Rockaway, New Jersey (Felipe Cuadra - Precision Automotive Repair):

Oil change; replaced radiator and coolant; replaced all belts; repaired HVAC compressor; Freon recharge; replaced and rewired Hazard warning switch; replaced height adjustment levers on both front seats; replaced clutch and brake foot pedal pads; New Jersey state inspection.

I have also replaced the old Mercedes Benz shift knob and shift boot; replaced all fuses with high quality brass/copper alloy fuses; repaired the radio; and replaced the wiper blades with Bosch wiper blades.

Problem areas include:

1. Surface rust spot near rear-center of sunroof.
2. Surface rust spot on lower left-rear fender.
3. Surface rust spot on lower right-rear fender.
4. Crack on dashboard.
5. Surface rust (decay) under right front passenger seat.

There is a clear New Jersey title.

pictures can be viewed here:
Picasa Web Albums - Avery - Mercedes Benz...

Asking price is $4,000 (negotiable)

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 1978 240D (4-spd manual)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Updates to original post

The front windshield seal has been repaired. The hole in the firewall behind the battery box that resulted in a leak on the right floorboard has been repaired. The right floorboard has been repaired.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: