1984 500SL (EURO) CONVERTIBLE, 78K, FIXER - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 93 500SEL DOA - PARTING OUT, 08 CLK350 Cab -DOA, '05 CLK500 Cab (hers), '10 Razor Elec Scooter (his)
Location: Northern California's Great Central Valley - Meth Capital of USA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

*** SOLD ***

1984 Mercedes-Benz 500SL convertible
hard top and soft top
78k miles
2nd owner
car is in Modesto, CA
* Fixer - needs body work *

I bought this car in 2006 from the original owner who imported it brand new from Europe. It is a European model and was never available for sale in the USA, it had to be bought in the European market and imported. It is a 500 SL, which is the most powerful version of the 107 chassis SL. This model produces 260 HP (or 245 HP depending on the source - the 107 forum guys would know), versus 155 HP from the 380 SL which was offered for sale in the US from 1981-1985. It is a very fun car to drive.

The car needs some body work. I had it parked in front of my house last March and someone rear-ended it and took off. The damage includes the driver's side quarter panel, tail light (I have one of these), part of the chrome bumper cover, and the rubber bumper trim. The insurance company didn't want to be bothered with fixing a vintage Mercedes, so they totalled it. I took a lower payout and kept the car intending to fix it. Well, it's over a year later and I haven't fixed it and don't know when I will ever have the time, so I am selling it. The insurance company told me that if I wanted to fix it, I would have to apply for a salvage title. I still have the original title and I will provide that along with a bill of sale to the buyer. Other than the collision damage, the body is straight.

Mechanically, the car is in great shape. It has always been well maintained. In fact, I had it tuned up a month or so before it was hit. I have started it and ran it for an hour every month or so since it was hit. The battery needs a good charge or replacement as I have had to jump start it the past few times. The only defect I am aware of is that the AC in not working. The driver's seat bottom has a small tear in the leather and the dash is cracked. Car has the CA Bureau of Auto Repair sticker in the door jamb, so it is CA legal.

It is what it is. This is a great project for someone. I just don't have the time.

Additional photos available at Flickr: adamcboynton's Photostream

Please email any inquiries to adamcboynton@sbcglobal.net I will gladly call anyone who is interested, but I don't post my number as I have been bombarded by solicitations in the past.

$3000 or best offer. Cash only. No financing.

Last edited by aboynton; 11-30-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Shame about the accident - that's a beautiful 500SL.

- Brian

1989 500SEL ECE
1966 Mercedes 250SE Cabriolet
1958 BMW Isetta 600
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: