450 SLC,SL Mercedes, parts car, Lorinser aero-kits 1973-85 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
450 SLC,SL Mercedes, parts car, Lorinser aero-kits 1973-85

450 SLC, SL Mercedes, parts car 1973-85
( good parts, plus fashionable Lorinser aero-kit)

Lorinser Aero-kit….frt, rear, and side skirts **
European Style Head Lites
MSD, Hi-Perf Multi-Spark Capacitor Discharge Ignition
Alloy Wheels & New Tires
Good Engine
Good Trans
New front suspension Sub-Frame Assembly

This is a 1973 SLC that I have owed sense it was 4 years old…wow!!,…32 years. It now has a LOT of rust, but still runs great, other than the worn out shocks and one loose shock on right front side.

I personally rebuilt the motor under the mentorship of an old time Mercedes expert. We did it all thoroughly at about 140K. It now has probably 275K and could use some new valve guide seals and a cold start valve. Otherwise I imagine you will not find ANY sludge inside this engine, and likely no ring wear lip in the cylinders. No emissions crap on this year engine, and not required. Electronic brain works fine.

I bought the Lorinser aero-kits in Germany and had them shipped back to the USA. They are built of fiberglass so are NOT subject to the rust affecting the rest of the car. The side skirts could be cut down in length to fit the SL model verses the SLC of mine. I would venture to guess that these Lorinser kits would cost between $3500-9500 ** these days… …ridiculous I know, but that’s what I’ve been told.

So here’s a parts car you could buy and drive home (no towing, etc)

I’ve attached a number of photos and a few scans of some pages from the Lorinser catalog. Sorry, but I did not have the original pages from the catalog, but only some old xerox copies I found.

Caution !! some photos of the car are when it was in much better condition than now. I am not selling the car per-se (too much rust), but rather the parts and the aero-kits. And I am only selling as I am moving to Thailand.

$950.00

Brian
railandsail@gmail.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercedes 1.jpg
Views:	2672
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	242668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Street View.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	242669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6191.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	242670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6195.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	242671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lorinser top.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	242672  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6201.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	242673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6205.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	242674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lorinser front sm.JPG
Views:	597
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	242675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lorinser SL.jpg
Views:	879
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	242676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lorinser side sm.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	242677  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
How much for thew radio including hand controls if its working and the rims what brand, size and ET offset?
That stalk mounted equalizer belonged to a particular special Blaupunkt radio I had in the car at one time. That radio went bad and I lost it., so this stalk mounted equalizer no longer operates with the radio in the car.

The wheels were German ACT, but are not for sale separately as I am offering the entire car drive-away. They were spec for this car.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 1972 280CE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
location?

With best regards

Al

Check out the W114, W115 /8 enthusiast forum http://www.stroke8.org

My 280SL restoration
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabbasi View Post
location?
Silver Spring, MD (suburb of Wash DC)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 08:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Oh, shit! Mine IS a Lorinser kit!! That meathead I talked to in Germany needs to do some homework!! That second to last pic is EXACTLY what I have!! I am stoked, thanks beiland!! I don't suppose there's a chance I could get my hands on that catalog with those pics in it, is there?? Please???
Let me know.
Bandit

"If you don't know what you're looking for it's kind of hard to find it!"

CCTORONTO:
Quote:
If it helps America through it's current crisis, I say go ahead! We can take it, after all we're Canadian!

Blame Canada!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 04 E500; 00 SL500 Sport/Pano; 94 E420; 92 500E; 92 300CE; 81 380SL
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
No Catolog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit96 View Post
Oh, shit! Mine IS a Lorinser kit!! That meathead I talked to in Germany needs to do some homework!! That second to last pic is EXACTLY what I have!! I am stoked, thanks beiland!! I don't suppose there's a chance I could get my hands on that catalog with those pics in it, is there?? Please???
Let me know.
Bandit
Hey there, I just got that car home to take it apart, that body kit is going on newly aquired 380SL, along with euro bumpers and headlights, and most likely the wheels, which are unexpectedly in terrific condition, and were special ordered for that car, and are perfect looking on the 107's. I think now I may need to sell other wheels I had thought I'd be using, still tossed over that one.

The PO can't find a catalog, he only has a few pages of stuff he copied years ago. But if he finds anything more he's going to send it to me.

What I will offer to you is digital copies of everything I get from him along the way.

Your project is awesome, I don't know how you do it with family committments and such. I've been following it from the beginning, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

If and when I receive the Lorinser catalog cuts or what everelse he can find, I'll PM you to get your email or other contact info, I'll give you copies of everything.

Good luck with the project...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
SLC door/window seals

Hey Oscar,
Glad you had fun driving my old Benz home. It is a bit of a hot rod with that 'special exhaust system'.

It was quite some long time ago that I got those aero-kits and I don't know what I did with the original literature. Hopefully I find it when I go to pack for overseas.

I have two new door/window gaskets that fit the SLC model, not the SL. It goes up the windshield pillar, across the top, and down the front of the fixed window. It seals both the front window and the rear one. These gaskets were kept in a cedar chest out of sun and mosture.

I'll take some photos if someone here is interested. I do not know the price yet, but it will save you considerable over the cost of new ones (and that's if you can even get them)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 04 E500; 00 SL500 Sport/Pano; 94 E420; 92 500E; 92 300CE; 81 380SL
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
Hey Oscar,
Glad you had fun driving my old Benz home. It is a bit of a hot rod with that 'special exhaust system'.
Hey Brian, that old 450 just burned up I-95, ran it between 80 & 90 allmost all the wayback up to new York. Doesn't even feel like it needs anything.

I've decided to keep the motor and tranny to swap out when the 380 gets tired. Like you've suggested, maybe just redo the heads and such. The tranny shifts perfect with just a slight hesitation into reverse. So maybe I'll do the tranny while it's out also.

Thanks again, was great meeting you, and good luck in Thailand..
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohollenbeck View Post
The tranny shifts perfect with just a slight hesitation into reverse. So maybe I'll do the tranny while it's out also.
That hesitation is built into tranny. I think it was some sort of safety feature. I had the trans redone about 185,000 miles
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohollenbeck View Post
Hey there, I just got that car home to take it apart, that body kit is going on newly aquired 380SL, along with euro bumpers and headlights, and most likely the wheels, which are unexpectedly in terrific condition, and were special ordered for that car, and are perfect looking on the 107's. I think now I may need to sell other wheels I had thought I'd be using, still tossed over that one.

The PO can't find a catalog, he only has a few pages of stuff he copied years ago. But if he finds anything more he's going to send it to me.

What I will offer to you is digital copies of everything I get from him along the way.

Your project is awesome, I don't know how you do it with family committments and such. I've been following it from the beginning, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

If and when I receive the Lorinser catalog cuts or what everelse he can find, I'll PM you to get your email or other contact info, I'll give you copies of everything.

Good luck with the project...
The only issues I found with mine was that the PO didn't have the mounting hardware for the aero kit, so I will have to fabricate. Also the side skirts are about 3/4-1" too long (maybe on an SLC, originally?) haven't decided what to do about that.
What kind of wheels do you have??
Thanks for your kind words on the project, I appreciate the encouragement. It wasn't too tough in the winter to get the time to work on it, now it's getting tougher. Yard, Pool and Housework SERIOUSLY infringe on quality time with my girlfriend...
Anyhow, anything you can send on that Lorinser would be appreciated.

"If you don't know what you're looking for it's kind of hard to find it!"

CCTORONTO:
Quote:
If it helps America through it's current crisis, I say go ahead! We can take it, after all we're Canadian!

Blame Canada!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in