LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy desperately need help with anything for a 89' 560

if anyone is getting rid of anything for a 89' 560 and u are in so cal near long beach ....your help would be greatly appreciated.

our 560 was in an accident and we are looking for a back bumper and new tail lights/lenses.... new door handle for the driver side (interior), electrical for power windows, tires and rims, or anything like seat covers or accesories for the interior.

late father in law left it to us before he died and there is alot of sentimental value to the car....cant bear to part with it.

it also needs body work if anyone is nearby and wants to barter for computer repair/IT services. times are tough and we cant afford to repair the damages....

thank you and god bless.
youreafark@yahoo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 73 450 SE Euro
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smile Auto Parts

Try picking up those parts at the local salvage yard lots of good high end cars are getting junked in the LA area I can get you those parts or anything else you might need but I live in the West Covina area And I'd have to charge you as it is a time consumming affair. Let me know If you need more info my # is 626 329-7348 Hector
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 1995 E320 Wagon
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I second the recommendation for you to check out the junkyards-- there are three I know of in Wilmington, two on Blinn St, off of Anaheim Ave. It's $2.00 to go in, and parts can be had for about as cheap as you'll be able to find (unless there are folks who are just giving stuff away). A rear bumper will likely be about $30, the tail lights about $20 apiece. If you look online, many yards have half-price sales-- the Pick-A-Part in Monrovia is having one this weekend, for instance, and I know that one of the yards I mentioned on Blinn St. is a Pick-A-Part, so they may have it on the same days. Every time I've been in the Wilmington yards, there's several w126s (the 560 SEL body style), and I could almost guarantee you can get the door handle and a bumper from there. Sometimes the rear tails are busted, but the US spec ones are relatively easy to come by with a couple of trips to different yards. I know there's a good rear bumper on a 420SEL in the Monrovia yard, too. If you're willing to spend a few hours getting your hands dirty, you'll be able to get your sentimental car back on the road pretty quickly.

For tools, you'll basically need a set of screwdrivers and wrenches/sockets in 8mm, 10mm, 17mm and 19mm. There are other sizes on occasion, but not for the majority of your list. These cars are fairly easy to work on, and if you are patient, you can generally figure out how things are attached so that you can remove them without damage. A rear bumper, for instance, has something like four 17mm or 19mm bolts (look under the carpets in the trunk), and then it just slides straight back off of two clips on each side of the car.

Best of luck!

Dave

1995 E320 Wagon, 190K "Ruby"; Garnet red (512) on Cream beige leather (265). Daily driver, long-term restoration project.
1990 560 SEL, 190K "Ingrid"; Smoke silver (702) on Cream beige leather (265). Gen 2 euro bumpers, euro headlights/turns, W140 glass moonroof, orthopedic seats. SOLD
1983 300SD, 106K "Hans"; Orient Red (501) on Java MB tex (154). SOLD

Last edited by ElRojo; 03-05-2009 at 10:27 AM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:25 AM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRojo View Post
I second the recommendation for you to check out the junkyards-- there are three I know of in Wilmington, two on Blinn St, off of Anaheim Ave. It's $2.00 to go in, and parts can be had for about as cheap as you'll be able to find (unless there are folks who are just giving stuff away). A rear bumper will likely be about $30, the tail lights about $20 apiece. If you look online, many yards have half-price sales-- the Pick-A-Part in Monrovia is having one this weekend, for instance, and I know that one of the yards I mentioned on Blinn St. is a Pick-A-Part, so they may have it on the same days. Every time I've been in the Wilmington yards, there's several w126s (the 560 SEL body style), and I could almost guarantee you can get the door handle and a bumper from there. Sometimes the rear tails are busted, but the US spec ones are relatively easy to come by with a couple of trips to different yards. I know there's a good rear bumper on a 420SEL in the Monrovia yard, too. If you're willing to spend a few hours getting your hands dirty, you'll be able to get your sentimental car back on the road pretty quickly.

For tools, you'll basically need a set of screwdrivers and wrenches/sockets in 8mm, 10mm, 17mm and 19mm. There are other sizes on occasion, but not for the majority of your list. These cars are fairly easy to work on, and if you are patient, you can generally figure out how things are attached so that you can remove them without damage. A rear bumper, for instance, has something like four 17mm or 19mm bolts (look under the carpets in the trunk), and then it just slides straight back off of two clips on each side of the car.

Best of luck!

Dave
+1, the third Wilmington yard is Ecology auto wrecking off Eubank Street.
The pick your part (octopus symbol) up the hill, and next to the big container storage is bigger, with more chance of finding what you need. You pay $2 to get in anyhow.
A lot of people will tell you otherwise, but the rear bumper and tail lights are the same on both sedan and coupe. The SEC has an aluminum trunk lid though. The bumpers for the Gen I up to 1985, and Gen II 1986 - 91 differ a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in