post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 SL 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'97 SL 500 - 39,000 Miles

I will be offering my R129 for sale over the next 8 months. I live in Dubai and seriously enjoy driving this car, but plan to leave the country by Dec 15 of this year. Although I am not in a hurry to sell the car, I will consider offers now if they are at market price and will offer it on a sort of sliding scale as I intend to drive the car and add miles to it throughout the year. I will likely find a buyer here but have decided to offer it to those of you on this site who truely appreciate these outstanding cars.

It is a Japanese spec car that is in great shape. There are a few items that are not original namely: Wheels are larger than stock with 15mm spacers that give it a very stout look, it has a Becker CD/MP3 player, the headlight wipers have been removed and it has blue LED lighting throughout the interior.

I have had some work done here in Dubai by a very reputable garage that specializes in Mercedes, Porsche and Audi. There was a ticking noise attributed to valve lifters that was rectified by doing all the tappits to the tune of $3000. Needless to say, it now sounds like a well oiled sewing machine. The motor mounts and tie rod ends were replaced as well as the internal differential seals, a part I am not familiar with, but it's replacement solved my fluid leak issue. The soft top is perfect with no fading.

As for the price, I consider the fact that it has only 39K on it a rather attractive selling point and the reason that I bought it in the first place. I am offering the car up at $17,995 to begin with which I will be ammending slightly as the mileage increases. I drive about 800 miles per month on average and would anticipate selling the car for $16,000 near the end of the year. I am the third owner of the car. The last was a neurosurgeon who imported the car to Abu Dhabi from a Japanese socialite.

I have checked with a frieght forwarding company here who gave me an estimate of about $2800 to ship the car to the US or Canada. The buyer is responsible for this cost along with any customs fees etc. I will look after getting the car certified to US or Canadian standards from here.

I would be happy to send more detailed pictures of the car to anyone interested in seeing particular details.

Thanks for looking.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SL 500 R R.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	221787   Click image for larger version

Name:	SL 500 Back.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	221788   Click image for larger version

Name:	SL 500 FR.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	221789  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 08:21 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Sep 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello there,

I've just recently moved to Dubai from Dublin, Ireland on a permanent contract.

I used to have a SL500 at home (same year as yours etc).

Would love to take a look at your car if you were free?

I'm in Dublin at the moment at Head Office back in one week.

I live in the Marina.

Thanks and best regards,

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: