Free Inspections for Southern California Owners - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
A 1967 250 SL, I can give you a pretty accurate list without seeing the car. Just give me a brief service history and mileage of the car. Some things just don't change
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When I worked at Mercedes The FREE Inspection was a way to generate work for the service department ...most customers take the list back to a Independent shop for a second opinion

Also have seen local Dealers do a TECH session for the Mercedes club...
It all depends on the tech...what is Really needed and that Leak that is just seapage
like the 103/104 engine they all have seapage from the front cam cover/headgasket
and the 112/113 breather box that has seapage...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:23 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

I have actually ran the Saturday tech days at an early dealer
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:36 PM
RKH
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Your right, there is no free lunch. They are hoping to get some business going without asking for a stimulus package from the gov. The fact is that if they look at your car and see something they will let you know, it's up to you to decide as to repair it or not. My point is the individual knows the product, its all he has done for his entire life. The clown at midas installs mufflers for a living, Not exactly the same point of referance. Would you take your kids to a Vet for medical help? Its your car and your money, what else can I say?
Bill
I was not comparing the quality of product or workmanship skill of Midas with that in Mercedes dealers. I was implying the same tactic that both were using : the notion that all they need is to get you in the door and they can sell you things that you don't even know you need. That's what all freebies and lifetime replacement warranty (from Midas) was about. It has nothing to do with the skill of the mechanic that works there, it is management's mentality/tactic for sales and marketing.
But it works as it is base on human greed, not the greed of the Dealer but the greed of consumers that try to get something free.
Of course some will just go there to get the list and take it elsewhere for the work (some will also sit through hours of Condo sales presentation just to get a free gift).

Last edited by RKH; 02-06-2009 at 08:48 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Then have no fear as you understand the game.
Bill
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:25 PM
RKH
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Yes, I understand the game and believe there is no free lunch. But many others don't, that's why I charmed in. All you have to do is to look at this particular 'freebie' forum : some body had something to give away because it is taking up space in his garage. Then 2 years later, people still posting to ask for it because all they see is the word FREE in the title. They don't even check the date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in