Well I never thought the day would come where I would let go of my roadster. I have put a great deal of time and effort not to mention a great deal of money into her. I was planning to keep her forever untill I found a 560sl with 26k original miles. I couldn't pass up the low milage 560 but can't justify (especially to my wife) keeping both.
The 1980 450 sl is georgeous and has recieved the following in the last two years:
1. New factory color chocolate brown paint. All chrome was removed, old paint stripped and new paint was applied by Proffessional auto body here in Alexandria. The paint was then wet sanded to a high gloss.
Total cost $3,040
2.New brown (german made) soft top. Total Cost $1,100
3. Replaced original seats with later model 560 sl seats and had them recovered in MBtex and re stuffed. Total Cost $2,400
4. Purchased matching rear jump seat with new seat belts Cost :$535.00
5.purchased replaement sun visors and carpet Cost $830.00
6. Replaced rear chrome bumper cover $235.00
7. Purchased (and yet to install) front bumper cover $235.00
8. Repaced wood insert in center console, a/c cover and speaker covers
Cost : $330.00
9. Repaced shfter knob and added Zembrano under armrest storage box and Nardi wooden steering wheel
10.Replaced original radio with Pioneer c.d. player and 4 new speakers
11. Replaced battery Cost $146.00
12. Just replaced tires (Less than 200 miles)
13. Have a spare set of 16" Ronal R-9 rims with New MIchelin radials with less than 1,000 miles Cost: $1,325.00
14.Replaced electric radio antena Cost $91.00
15. Replaced original wheel lugs with new Chrome Cost: $91.00
16. Replaced Steering box Cost $971.00
17. Replaced front drag link Cost $675.00
18. Replaced sub frame mounts Cost $471.00
19. Replaced both Flex discs Cost $210.00
20. Replaced control arms and other bushings Cost $610.00
21. Replaced all injectors Cost:1,100
22. Complete tune up Cost $380.00
23. Replaced all engine and trans mounts Cost $375.00
24. Replace a/c compresor and other a/c components $$975.00
25. Replaced servo with electronic unit Cost $1,455.00
26. front end alignment Cost: $110.00
27. Replaced fuel pump relay Cost : $89.00
28. Replaced rear coil springs Cost: $460.00
29. Replaced coil Cost: $51.00
30. Replaced a ton of things that I can't remember while writing this.
This car is kept under a cover in my carport and has been babied. There is no rust anywhere, The glass is perfect and the dash has no cracks.
The a/c stopped working and I am told that no power is getting to the compressor (Switch?)
It starts right up and runs and drives beautifully. I never would have dreamed of selling it had I not come across this other roadster.
The car curently has 129,000 original miles but shows much, much better. Thats still less than 5000 per year.
I am asking $12,000 including all the extras listed and I'm sure a few that are not. If you are interested please e-mail me directly at email@example.com
and I will send pictures and answer any questions.
The car is locted at my home in Alexandria, Virginia.
Thanks for looking.