post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 1998 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post FS: 1994 S320 in Columbia, SC

I'm offering my personal car for sale, as I've gotten the itch to try something new.

The car is green with tan interior and 132k miles. I won't list the general specs, since I'm guessing everyone here knows them. Do ask if you need to know anything I've left out.

Car has recently had a new evaporator, rebuilt Bose amp, tranny flush/filter, o2 sensors, brakes, tires, climate control module, duovalve, and several other odds and ends.

It's in good shape, with just a ding or two. Above average to excellent paintwork, with no clearcoat problems or noticeable scratches. the bumpers and bodycladding were repainted this summer in the original shade, since they had dulled and had some flaws.

I have all keys, books and records from work done during my tenure with the car. Clean title. Asking $6400, but for you guys I'd look at offers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001F.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	167236   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002F.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	167237   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-003F.jpg
Views:	3771
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	167238   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-004F.jpg
Views:	2498
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	167239   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002F_1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	167240  

Last edited by AdamT; 03-12-2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: forgot to mention miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 04:48 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1999 SLK 230 - Firemist Metallic (548) 1983 300D TurboDiesel - Deep Blue (900)
What options does she have?

Any oil leaks and has the Water pump ever been replaced?

What kind of fuel mileage has she been achieving?

Nice color.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Glad you asked that; I forgot to mention the oil situation. This is it: I started smelling burning oil (from under the hood, rather than in the exhaust) occasionally a couple of months ago, figured I was probably in for a head gasket. Took it to the indy, who said it was actually tranny oil cooler lines. He replaced those, and assured me that there were no oil leaks, which was refreshing.

Thing is, I do still occasionally smell 'that smell' when getting out of the car. Not sure if he neglected to clean up what was left from the cooler lines, whether he was mistaken about what was leaking (seems unlikely, this guy knows these cars well, being a former MB tech), or whether a different leak has cropped up since. The oil and ATF levels don't seem to be falling, and I don't see spots places I've parked (other than home, where there is already a big stain from the leak that was fixed).

the short answer to you question is: i'm not sure. The car is priced below the local competition for just that reason. I'm a law student, and simply don't have the time to get the car somewhere and have it looked over. I'm, of course, delighted for prospective buyers to do so.

Regarding the water pump, I have not replaced it. I haven't owned the car for the bulk of its life, so I can't say that it's original, but I would suggest that anyone considering the car should consider the pump original. that said, it hasn't given any problems. The car doesn't overheat and no noises.

As for options, the car doesn't have any. I think. As I understand it, the options for S320s pretty much consisted of t/c and heated seats. It doesn't have either. Of course, it has everything most cars got as options . It does have a sunroof, which I have a vague memory was at least a 'delete' option, if not actually optional.

I love the color, too. I bought the car because it was the only one I found that wasn't black. This color's so easy to keep clean, especially right now with the pollen starting.

Sorry for being longwinded.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
This is why I hate selling cars.

I feel compelled to list every flaw, which makes my car sound like a basketcase. But as a buyer, I prefer to be aware of flaws and surprised by plusses.

In light of that, FYI:
-The driver's door power lock doesn't work. Thus, the keyless isn't useful. I forgot about it, since I'm used to just using the key to unlock. The keyless is functional, though, on the rest of the doors and trunk. I have replaced the vacuum pump for the locks and confirmed that it needed an actuator. Come to think of it, I have one I ordered from Autohaus a while back and never had time to install. It will be included with the car.

- The rear, passenger-side window has trouble making it all the way up. I have a new regulator (the motor seems just fine) as well, which was destined for installation on a weekend that hasn't happened yet.

- Finally, there is a scrape on the bottom of the corner of the driver's side of the front bumper. Two weeks after I had the bumpers and cladding repainted (it had gotten dull and the bumper had scratches) this summer, I caught a pothole, which caused the scrape. It is not hidden on the underside of the bumper, but is just a 3" spot, so doesn't ruin the car. the bumper has no crack or gouge, just missing paint.

In my list of repairs and flaws, I realize I didn't really make complete commentary on the general condition of the car. The paint/body are unusually nice for such an old car. There is only one very small door ding, and one or two scratches (in the clearcoat) no peeling, no bubbles and very shiny. The interior is nice, with no huge flaws. The headliner is flawless, and the seats are in excellent shape, other than the driver's seat, which is strictly average. It has a bit of cracking in the leather and one dime-sized wear hole. the armrest cover is also a bit worn. There are a few cracks in the center console wood, but all the rest of the wood is excellent. The carpets aren't stained, and the dash has no cracks.

Car also has a factory/dealer trunk tray. It's made of rubber coated plastic, and has 3" high sides, so you can carry wet, dirty stuff without ruining the trunk.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1999 SLK 230 - Firemist Metallic (548) 1983 300D TurboDiesel - Deep Blue (900)
Your not going to do well in the law profession Adam... your far too truthful!

So your at USC then? Guess you don't get up to Clemson often then eh?

Well... my real reason for asking about options was I really don't know enough about each model to know what they have as far as those little gizzmos or not and of course if those were functional or not. So I was sort of generic there. You certainly gave me more than I knew. Who needs traction control and heated seats in SC? Pure fluff!

One of those was I did wonder if it had a Sunroof. But I don't really know that much about that S class from that time period.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I am at USC, and don't make it up that way too often.

Just to fill you - and anyone else wondering - in, the car has all the gizmos.

The seats are something like 12-way powered. The windows are double-glazed (as in two layers of glass, with air or some other insulating gas between), and all of them have one-touch up and down. They keyless remote will close all the windows and roof if you park with them open. Both seats have three-position memory, and the steering wheel and the inside rearview mirror are power-operated. The doors have a vacuum closure feature which means you only have to push them lightly shut, and they will close and latch themselves. The trunk has a similar feature, but with the neatest accessory on the car: when you open the trunk, a chrome handle pops out over the license plate (so the driver need not dirty his wealthy hands) and then retracts again when the trunk latches. All of the door/trunk functions are vacuum-operated, and are miraculously reliable (at least on my car). The vacuum system also operates little chrome rods that pop out of the tops of the back fenders in reverse, so that you can see where the car ends -- these are a rudimentary yet charming precursor to those parktronic systems.

Of course, the car has mercedes's usual bevy of features, like leather and headlight wipers and massive amounts of storage. This one doesn't have the built-in phone which was common on the W140 S-class, which is fine, since those were analogue phones which are now useless and eat up a very useful storage compartment or two.

All of these gizmos work, and the quality of this car is absolutely amazing. Make sure to go and drive a W140, even if you don't plan on buying one. They're an experience not to be missed.

If you're considering an S-class, the forum for those is quite active, and there are lots of incredibly knowledgeable folks in there, and great info in the archives.

Maybe I should head for the upstate soon; I need to try out my replacement car (an XJR) on some curvy roads.

Last edited by AdamT; 03-12-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in