LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
WTB: W201 2.3-16v

Looking for a clean (condition and title) 190E 2.3-16v. I'm not looking for a project car but one that I can drive and enjoy NOW. Must be reliable enough to be daily driven. 5spd Manual is a MUST and recent services and maintenance records score points. I'm located in California (Norcal) but willing to travel for the right car. Thank you.

John
email: ya_kuza_13@yahoo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 AM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuza13 View Post
Looking for a clean (condition and title) 190E 2.3-16v. I'm not looking for a project car but one that I can drive and enjoy NOW. Must be reliable enough to be daily driven. 5spd Manual is a MUST and recent services and maintenance records score points. I'm located in California (Norcal) but willing to travel for the right car. Thank you.
Q: I'm located in California (Norcal)

This will help to complete your profile with a location
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	controlpanel-1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	156700  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 08:06 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: always shopping for another benz..
there out there, i been tentatively offereing mine for sale, but its an automatic... you can buy a decent driver for 3k to 4k.. i bought my euro 16v for 3500 with 95k miles needing paint, a radiator and rear hydro shocks, the latter being a common occurence and something you should expect/plan for/ inspect in your shopping. my auto was 2500 but had been sitting since 2003 when the previous owner passed away.. either way you look at it, the 2k to 4k 16v's will undoubtedly need 2 to 3k in repairs and refittments... so better make sure you buy one that at a minimum has a good body, interior, and powertrain, as most sub 5k 16v's will have edgy paint.

budget 4-5k for a purchase and you should end up with a pretty straight car.. there will always be people looking to get 10k for theirs, but i dont think the market is there right now, nor even 5 years from now to be worth that aside from the rare sub 75k all original garage kept cars.

there was a kid on 190revolution selling his black pearl 5 speed in orange county CA.. i had actually looked at the car the same day as he did and it was advertised for 2k obo... motor was good, body was decent, but paint and interior were edgy.. something i would have offered 1500 for, but the kid wanted it pretty bad, so he got it for the full asking price.. i think he ended up spending 3k on the car on misc stuff and was looking to sell it.. i had offered to buy it from him for 2 - 2500 depending on what exactly had been done to get the car in shape, but i think he wants to fix the body(needs dent repair on trunk and the spoiler reinstalled) so he can get 3k plus for it. you will find his thread on 190rev but i think that site has been bombarded with viruses as i have even tried to loggin recently.

Once, i thought i was wrong; but i had only been mistaken...

Last edited by OGMERC; 01-08-2008 at 08:12 PM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
OGMERC - Thanks! I've actually been in contact with a seller from 190rev with an '86 16v. It's the darker gray color and looks like has been maintained and refreshed thoroughly. It has 80k miles with lots of work and parts (Ferrari 360 brakes?) put into it but he is asking $11k. I'm trying to schedule some time to actually check out the car in Socal.

John
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 PM
BenzWorld Member

there has only been one 16v that i have seen that i would even consider paying over 8k for, and it was stolen and totalled out in a police chase in socal 6 mos ago.. it had higher miles, but was literally in showroon condition with thousands in nice "of the era" upgrades, including 500E(evo II, 600SL brakes, maybe even 500SL?) brakes, which would be the only brakes that would make sense to have installed, that or 400E(evo I) brakes.

for 10k plus, you need to seriously consider a e36 m3, as i have had 2 and think that becuase there are so many of them out there you you will have the pick of the litter if 10 -12k is within range... its easily twice the car, maybe not as rare or unique, but as far as looks, cost of maintanence, and performance, it blows a 16v out of the water.. but thats why 16v's are typically half the money as they give an equal dollar for dollar reward to its purchaser as that of an m3. the m3';s are prone to be money pits if you "price buy" and dont shop smart, but there are literally dozens of the for sale in the 10-12k range and out of that dozen and large handfull are going to be great cars, unfortunately the 16v isnt as much of a buyers market.

i was talking to another guy in socal that has a smoke silver 16v that is pretty solid, nice dialed in supsension and a more recent tran rebuild and a engine rebuild with higher comp pistons(~205hp) nice paint, body, interior, ect.. i think he was looking to get around 7k for it... it may be on 190rev as well, his name is Jerry, i have his number in a pm in my 190rev account, but my computer doesnt allow me to access their site.

Last edited by OGMERC; 01-08-2008 at 09:51 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
OGMERC - Thank you for the info. PM sent.

It's really this pic that "rekindled" the fire with me and 2.3-16v.

John
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 08:25 PM
BenzWorld Member

yeah, they are definately cool cars.. i have the smoke silver but think the black pearl is the one to own; a bit too much "gold" in the smoke silver, had it been more "platinum" i would have liked it much better, but it does depend on the lighting as the smoke silver goes from satin silver to champagne to light gold depending on the lighting.

funny, your screen name reminds me of what you might have expected driving these cars back in the; day lowered with tinted windows, etc. when i think of what type of car a yakuza gangster would be driving in 1986 i think of a black pearl 16v lowered on old school amg wheels with dark tinted windows and a color matched grille and a amg duckbill spoiler.

also, its all about the s600 grille(not the gaytard "strips" i bought on ebay accidently and installed on the one below), euro headlamps, and ecode(preferably bosch as the orange is darker/richer) vs the clear corners. do that, then throw on some 17" evo II wheels or some amg aero II's and you got a car that will make the one above look dated by 5 years. to finish of the look, the duckbill 3 piece spoiler from AMG is bad ass. the first 3 are of my old euro market 16v, the next 3 of my 86, and the last pic was the inspiration for somehow getting a hold of an orignal AMG duckbill spoiler.

for the sake of your initial question as to value, i sold the car below in its "pictured" state for $7000, i thought i got pretty damn good money for it, however it was in need of some fresh paint, most everything else was pretty solid/new or tight. so i would think that $7k should be the most you should spend on one of these cars unless its condition is indistinguishable from that of a brand new car.. that includes original paint(or a nice like new paint job with perfect attention paid to keep it orange peel, overspray and run free) and also have AC that works! neither of mine had working AC. buying one with some tastefull mods is nice to as you will soon grow very tired at looking at 15" wheels or listenting to a worn out factory becker radio and paper cone speakers, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...

my "driver" the auto 16v, yup, you are aloud to put chrome wheels on a 16v so long as the car is an automatic

the correct "s600 grille" also in the picture are the ecode lights and corners one(corner) is hella(lighter) the other a bosch.

i dont usually pircture whore, but i was looking for the below pic in my photobucket account and started browsin through pics of the old car and thought id post'em up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	yakuzaOGbenz.jpg
Views:	2157
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	156914  

Last edited by OGMERC; 01-09-2008 at 08:55 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
beautiful cars... I do agree the black pearl is the color to hunt for on this car. I am dying to see it with color matched //AMB Aero I and the "ol skool" BBS basket weave...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Diwali_Cars_045.jpg
Views:	2972
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	156916  

John
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Still searching...

John
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
No games here, ready to buy...

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in