post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Buncha W124's
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: Neuspeed lowering springs for W124 / 300E

I had these springs in my white 1987 300D, which was totaled about 4 years ago. They lowered the car more than I wanted, so I put in the tallest Mercedes Sportline springs that I could get, to increase the ride height. You've been warned... these Neuspeed springs will lower your car a LOT, like about 1.75" front and back. I would recommend these for an M103 sedan (260E, 300E) or maybe a coupe, but they're a bit extreme for the diesel (300D), IMO. These springs WILL NOT work in any 124 station wagon, any V8 model (400E/500E), or any car with self-leveling (SLS) rear suspension (this is a pretty rare option on most 124 sedans). If you have any questions, please email me.

On my 1987 300D, with a full tank of fuel, the distance from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender lip was 13.25" after a few weeks of driving. Stock was about 15". A photo of my white 300D with these springs is below.

A set of new Sportline springs is about $350 (list), new Eibach or H&R springs are about $250/set, plus S&H. These are in mint condition (see photo below).

SOLD

These are the springs:

Here is a photo of my car, when these springs were installed:

Dave M.
Boise, ID

1997 E420 - 147kmi (Bugeyes)
1995 E320 - 215kmi (Stigwagen)
1994 E420 - 134kmi (Blondie)
1994 E500 - 115kmi (Q-ship)
1992 500E - 178kmi (Mach 5)
1987 300D - 330kmi (Sportline Stage 2)
Click here for my "website"

Last edited by gsxr; 09-01-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
The springs are sold & paid for. Thanks everyone for your interest! Now if I could just get someone to buy those R230/SL600 wheels so I can get them out of my garage, lol...

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:35 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Exclamation 1989 260E Lowering Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
I had these springs in my white 1987 300D, which was totaled about 4 years ago. They lowered the car more than I wanted, so I put in the tallest Mercedes Sportline springs that I could get, to increase the ride height. You've been warned... these Neuspeed springs will lower your car a LOT, like about 1.75" front and back. I would recommend these for an M103 sedan (260E, 300E) or maybe a coupe, but they're a bit extreme for the diesel (300D), IMO. These springs WILL NOT work in any 124 station wagon, any V8 model (400E/500E), or any car with self-leveling (SLS) rear suspension (this is a pretty rare option on most 124 sedans). If you have any questions, please email me.

On my 1987 300D, with a full tank of fuel, the distance from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender lip was 13.25" after a few weeks of driving. Stock was about 15". A photo of my white 300D with these springs is below.

A set of new Sportline springs is about $350 (list), new Eibach or H&R springs are about $250/set, plus S&H. These are in mint condition (see photo below).

Asking $175... FREE insured shipping in the USA via FedEx Ground.

These are the springs:

Here is a photo of my car, when these springs were installed:
Hi......
I'm a 'newbie' and have a Non-Diesel MB identical to yours pictured in this older 'post'.
Could you clarify your comments? Are recommending the Neuspeed Springs, the Sportline, Eibach or H&R? I hope to install 17" Brabus wheels and feel the car sits up too high at present. The 1.75" drop would work esthetically, but is it practical?. My 260E needs new springs , so this a good time to make the change. From ground-level to the top-center of the rear-wheel fender lip measures 27" with original 15" wheels and 205/60R 15 Yoko Avids mounted.
Any guidance you can provide would be a big help. I would like to achieve the same results as you did........before the 'wipeout' !!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Yal
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Old post.
But the neuspeed springs are actually relabeled H&R springs.
In terms of drops, from lowest drop to highest drops it goes like this

H&R
Eibach
Sportline
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooz View Post
I'm a 'newbie' and have a Non-Diesel MB identical to yours pictured in this older 'post'. Could you clarify your comments? Are recommending the Neuspeed Springs, the Sportline, Eibach or H&R?
In general, I recommend the Sportline springs, because there are many different ones available. So you can use the EPC to determine the exact spring & pad combination for your specific vehicle + optional equipment. You can also tailor the exact ride height to your personal preference. With most of the aftermarket springs, they offer a single spring kit, and you have to hope it ends up at the height you want. With some kits, on some cars, you'll end up having to cut either the front or rear springs to make the car sit level. With the proper Sportline spring selection, this isn't necessary. The Sportline springs do cost more though.

Quote:
I hope to install 17" Brabus wheels and feel the car sits up too high at present. The 1.75" drop would work esthetically, but is it practical? From ground-level to the top-center of the rear-wheel fender lip measures 27" with original 15" wheels and 205/60R 15 Yoko Avids mounted.
Depends. What size & offset wheels do you plan to install, what size tires, and what is the distance from the bottom of the fender lip to the center of the wheel? You can't measure to the ground... tire size, air pressure, etc will affect the measurement. The proper distance is fender to wheel center. As a very rough guide... most stock early 124's will be about 15.5-16.0 inches, later 124's will be 14.5-15.0, most lowered cars end up being in the 13.5-14.0 range. The rear measurement will vary depending on fuel load... I try to get it level with a full tank, so with an empty tank the rear end will be about 0.5" higher. If you go much below 14.0 you end up with very little suspension travel. Below 13.5 and it will likely be sitting on the suspension stops. In general, I recommend shooting for about 14.0" all around.

Quote:
My 260E needs new springs , so this a good time to make the change. Any guidance you can provide would be a big help. I would like to achieve the same results as you did........before the 'wipeout' !!
These cars normally shouldn't need new springs unless the ends have snapped off due to corrosion. They don't really "sag" like many people think. If your shocks & struts are not recent, it would be a good idea to replace those as well. In general I recommend Bilstein or KONI, both have a lifetime warranty. Don't forget the strut stop buffer as shown below. If you are planning on wheels wider than 7.0-7.5 up front, you'll need to duplicate the fender spacer kit, and possibly use the strut travel limiter also. You may need to roll the fender lips as well.

Best regards,

Dave M.
Boise, ID

1997 E420 - 147kmi (Bugeyes)
1995 E320 - 215kmi (Stigwagen)
1994 E420 - 134kmi (Blondie)
1994 E500 - 115kmi (Q-ship)
1992 500E - 178kmi (Mach 5)
1987 300D - 330kmi (Sportline Stage 2)
Click here for my "website"

Last edited by gsxr; 09-01-2009 at 08:01 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
I can't tell you how much I appreciate that you took the time to provide me with such a detailed response to my not-so-simple question. I will study your info carefully and apply what is appropriate to my lowering project. Would you clarify one thing for me? In looking at the various options, i.e. H&R, Eibach, Sportline, I'm not clear on your preference since Eibach offers 2 choices for my vehicle: "Pro-Kit" and "Sportline". I can't locate a separate brand/maufacturer called "Sportline". The Eibach "Pro-Kit" has more height choices under that name than does their "Sportline" line. Any clarification about this would be extremely helpful. And finally, can you recommend a supplier for the appropriate parts or kit, as that would save me sometime time and effort in doing a price/source comparison. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I can't tell you how much I appreciate that you took the time to provide me with such a detailed response to my not-so-simple question. I will study your info carefully and apply what is appropriate to my lowering project. Would you clarify one thing for me? In looking at the various options, i.e. H&R, Eibach, Sportline, I'm not clear on your preference since Eibach offers 2 choices for my vehicle: "Pro-Kit" and "Sportline". I can't locate a separate brand/maufacturer called "Sportline". The Eibach "Pro-Kit" has more height choices under that name than does their "Sportline" line. Any clarification about this would be extremely helpful.
Wooops, sorry about that... I forget that not everone is familiar with the terminology. Mercedes sold the 124 and 201 chassis with an optional "Sportline" package from the factory, which included lowering springs, larger sway bars, stiffer bushings, quicker steering box ratio, wider wheels & tires, different seats, and a couple other items. So, the "Sportline" springs I'm referring to are Mercedes factory springs, used on factory Sportline models. For 6-cylinder sedans, there are basically 2 different front springs, and 2 different rears, along with many more different springs for wagons, coupes, cabrio, V8 models, and models with or without self-leveling (SLS).

Quote:
And finally, can you recommend a supplier for the appropriate parts or kit, as that would save me sometime time and effort in doing a price/source comparison. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Since the Mercedes Sportline springs are dealer-only items, you'll need to find a source for dealer parts at wholesale... for example, Parts.com, MB of Ft Lauderdale, Duval Motorcars, Caliber Motors, or Rusty at BuyMB Parts. Be careful with places that show very low prices (like parts.com), they make up the difference with steep S&H fees. In the end, you may decide that the Mercedes Sportline springs are too expensive... about $325 wholesale/set, plus S&H (current list price is $400/set). Some additional info is posted here, and you may also want to check out my coil spring spec spreadsheet at this link, where I compiled as much data as I could on the various springs. I'd like to fill in the specs for H&R and Eibach eventually. If you do go with the Mercedes Sportline springs, do your homework to make sure you order the correct part numbers, to achieve the desired ride height... special-order parts are usually not returnable, although you'd likely have no problem re-selling them on the forum if necessary.

Final thought... I prefer to decide what ride height I want first, then obtain the springs which should provide that ride height, and tweak slightly as needed by using thinner or thicker spring pads. Also, with new front struts, the front ride height will be about 0.5" taller than with used struts. The gas pressure decreases over time, and the front end drops... it's not the spring sagging, it's the strut. So, if you install new springs & struts, keep that in mind when you're dialing in the ride height. If it's all perfect with new struts, a year or two later you will likely find the front end has dropped while the rear has not. For typical street use, I'd recommend keeping the fender to wheel center distance a bit over 14 inches all around... this should be at least 1 inch lower than stock for your car, maybe more.

Last edited by gsxr; 09-01-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in