FS or Trade 1981 300TD - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1982 300D Turbo 187,000 2nd owner 1981 300TD Turbo 80000 original miles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS or Trade 1981 300TD

Just purchased a brown '81 300TD turbodiesel with approx. 80,000 original miles on the car/engine. The low milage and mechanical condition left me in a daze and I bought the car hastily. While the low milage and mechanical condition are a great starting point, there is just too much project in this car for me to handle.
Mechanically, all it needs is rear brake pad replacement and rear suspension work (a sagging rear end that feels every little bump in the road-perhaps auto-hydraulic stabilizer/rear sway bar and/or shocks are shot)
The car comes with a second tank conversion that has not been used.
The interior, exterior, and some of the electrical components need a lot of work. Based on what I paid (and I'm not looking to turn a profit on this sale) this car would only be a worthwhile purchase for someone who enjoys restoring these cars. For me, I don't have the experience or the time/money to do or pay for a restoration myself.
In addition to the above mentioned mechanical repairs, the car needs the following:
-repair/replace sunroof
-repair/replace climate control system (control panel/blower motor/wiring)
-repair electric windows
-paint
-replace left taillight
-replace dash
-repair/replace odometer
-repair/replace door locking system
-rust restoration on bottom of passenger front door, fist size rust hole in
floorboard backseat.
-a few minor dings here and there
-repair/replace grill, emblem, and hood (not perfectly straight with body)
-replace wood panels/glove box door
-repair/replace windshield seal
-repair/replace trim and moldings on body
-replace ceiling interior panel
I could have missed a thing or two, but I believe that covers it-you get the idea. I want to recoup my costs OR trade for a turbocharged 300 W123(D, CD, or TD) with higher miles (up to 200,000) but in excellent interior/exterior/electrical condition.
I am putting this out there because this could be the right situation for someone who enjoys restoring these cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 01:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: W-1-2-3 Go!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Wow, for 80,000 miles that car took quite a bit of abuse. Good luck on that...

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1982 300D Turbo 187,000 2nd owner 1981 300TD Turbo 80000 original miles
(Thread Starter)
agreed-quite a bit of abuse for a low milage car. A lot of the issues are indeed from the car sitting out of service for years (cracked rubber seals on windows, windshields, trim, molding, sunroof, etc). The car also spent 2 years after it was placed back in service in daily city driving/parking in NYC and Chicago. Paint condition and rust spots also could be from extended time out of service in Florida (originally, this car was a Daytona Beach, Florida car for most of its life) The original owner in Daytona sold it to his mechanic. The mechanic sold it to the person I bought the car from, who drove it to Chicago. It then spent 6 months in New York City.
Some of the interior issues are truly beyond my comprehension. The car has been back in service for 10,000 miles, and the engine is bone dry (in other words, NO LEAKS at all). The title/registration/carfax documentation as well as a Mercedes tech all seem to agree that there is nothing to indicate that the engine has more miles than what has been indicated. I have another car, so if I can't find the right situation, I will restore it one system at a time. First, I was planning on repairing the auto-hydraulic stabilizer/shocks. Next I was going to try and do the rust, paint, and winshield/window/sunroof rubber trim and seals at one time. The rest can be done as I find the parts and have the time. A benz restoration guy in Southern California advised me to expect to spend 2 years and $5000 give or take.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 10:40 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1983 300d turbo diesel, 1985 190D, 5 speed m/t, 1986 Volvo 245, 4 speed m/t, 1994 Saab 9000 cse 5 sp
300td

hi. do you mind sharing who the benz restoration guy in socal is? i have an 84 300td that is a good candidate for restoration. if you are able to disclose his contact info, that would be great. thanks in advance.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 11:45 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 86 190e 2.3-16v
I would also be interested to know where this benz restoration shop in socal. I have a 190e 2.3-16v I would like to restore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in