Selling U1250 Doka - Page 9 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:14 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 1980 U416, 1992 U1450 DoKa, 2003 U500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hola John, What is the update on your truck?

Saludos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: U1450L DOKA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi Roberto,

Well the green one is safe in Montana, and I'm in Oklahoma City tonight
with the new one, on the way to Los Angeles.

I thinking I'll make a push to sell the Green one in the Spring for two reasons:

1st, I'm working in LA and have a lot of work stacking up, and
2nd, it has been pretty cold in Bozeman, like 19 below about a week ago...
so I doubt anybody is about to tool in for a test drive until it warms up.

I plan on driving south in the new one to deliver UNIMOG parts soon, so if you are going to be in San Diego, I'm hoping we can meet up.
post #83 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:56 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: U1700 DOKA...SOLD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sooooo....

How is the new beast? What are your initial impressions?

P.S. Don't force that main gear selector into "R"
post #84 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:11 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUKTOR View Post
Hi Roberto,

... I'm in Oklahoma City tonight with the new one, on the way to Los Angeles...
Hola John! Good to hear about you. Whenever you plan to be down here just let me know, it will be great to see you and invite you home.

Now that you are driving your new truck, Can you notice a fuel efficiency difference when driving with or without the overdrive on?

Saludos
post #85 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Ah...
My initial impressions are : I'm stunned !

I expected a good truck, because
Neil @ MEREX said so...but I was not expecting this ! I am very happy.It is always a gamble to buy something sight-unseen, but at least I had a trusted insider to guide me. Mind you, it is so full of boxes of parts that about the only thing I have been able to look at is the glove box and the exterior, and I have been in the basic fuel, check fluids and drive 10 hours or more a day mode...just what a UNIMOG is not designed for: a long day of pavement miles at high speed....many days in a row...

This is a delivery trip, pounding out the miles with a due date in mind, not the pleasant meandering I'd prefer, but the truck continues to amaze me with its performance and its condition. I really could not ask for more.

Every UNIMOG has its history, and its quirks, but this thing is a rocket,
UNIMOG-wise, whatever its history is. I've kept the tach needle in the green zone the whole trip (mainly), and have been bubbling along at 100-110 KPH without a blink. This thing shifts better than any other UNIMOG I have driven, including 6 or 8 brand new ones off of the HENNE lots in Heimstetten and Martinreith over the years. (Sp on both of those...)
I took it up to 120 KPH on a slight downhill in Arkansas, just to see what that was like, and it was very smooth, and not on the redline.

The 1/2 worn Dunlops are noisy...much louder than the XM-47's...and they wallowed side to side until I aired them up to 60 PSI. They're better than they were, but I would not seek them out as new tires.

It has been a trip with a lot of extreme weather so far, mainly WIND, and mainly right on the nose...This truck has a pretty large frontal area , with the high cab and the box looming above it, but it has done very well, because of the horsepower. When I draft a Semi, or I'm in a wind -free zone, the thing really cruises. When it is naked in a headwind, it does well, but the nature of the body does take a toll.
It has the horsepower to do it, but it is working harder. The temperature
gauge barely moves at all under a heavy load situation..it moves the width of the indicator needle, perhaps....it is very steady in all situations.

The diffs are hot to the touch, the hubs are not, after prolonged cruising.

So : I'm STOKED with the truck and I fell very lucky that Neil AND MEREX found this thing and had extended patience with me while I worked out how to get it.

Without their help, it would never have happened.
post #86 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Roberto...
I am always in 8 HIGH on the road, and have not been checking fuel mileage,
uh...just haven't...
....I'm keeping the receipts and may do a calculation after the trip is over...but
I probably won't, because it'll be right back to work, and I'll be focused on that.

I plan to head South a week from Saturday to deliver parts, if it works out , I'll keep you posted.
post #87 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
I must also thank Sean at EUROTRUCK, as he has helped me very much in the process as well, and he got it safely to his place in Georgia for me.

I'm looking forward to getting it home and un-loading it, so I can see what is what.

The G-wagon Roof rack unloads this morning in Albuquerque, And I'm hoping to free up the back seat by moving more into the box. That way, if the
Swedish women's Soccer team is hitch-hiking, I'll be able to do my part and help them out. "Be Prepared".
post #88 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:50 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 1991 1250L Doka Unimog
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Truktor, when you take it to Montana I hope it works out to stop by for a visit. I'll be in Montana for a vacation with my family in Glacier Park and probably through Yellowstone on the way back home. I'll most likely stop in White Sulpher Springs to see some other family. I'm thinking it will be the first couple of weeks in July. It sounds like your truck is a "dream" truck. Take it safe,
Chas
post #89 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:58 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUKTOR View Post
(Edited) Roberto...
I am always in 8 HIGH on the road, and have not been checking fuel mileage,
....I'm keeping the receipts and may do a calculation after the trip is over...but
I plan to head South a week from Saturday to deliver parts, if it works out , I'll keep you posted.
John, do not forget to contact me whenver you are close by, Richard lives closes to my house.
The fuel mileage figure that you get for this trip will be a very good example of real world figure having a truck like yours with OD.
BTW, despite that my truck has PTO I just installed an OD to my truck but I have not tested it yet as the truck is in Celaya and I am in San Diego now.
Is your truck intercooled? If so, whenever you have time can you post some pictures of the intercooler arrangement and how it is related to the front grill?
I will install one to my truck with help of Dr. Mark Mitchell.

Saludos
post #90 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: U1700 DOKA...SOLD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kind of hard to figure fuel mileage on these trucks unless you are on a long trip like this where you can average it all out.

Sounds like a great truck John, glad you are happy and can't wait to see it! Are we all going to have a DOKA convention at the next NWMF?

Does your new truck have fast axles too? I can get mine to hit 120KM but that is about it, although I suspect the bigger tires will make a difference too.

So no tough shifts even when it is cold? My truck is stiff going into 5th when it is cold. I wonder if a different gear oil would help this? Hardly noticeable though since I go from high 4th to low 6th and don't even notice a power drop.

Can't wait to see pics of your trip!

Chris

P.S. look over all of our avatars...all DOKAs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in