Selling U1250 Doka - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 172 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:06 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: '03 G500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone buy John's gorgeous rig. He has really taken care of it like none other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 172 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy@matrix
Someone buy John's gorgeous rig. He has really taken care of it like none other.
I'd love to.

JOHN ! I'll trade you my 416 DoKa and both my classic Benz cars for it - that should about add up to your asking price

1978 Mog 416.141 DoKa
1971 W113 280SL
post #33 of 172 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: U1450L DOKA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ah, Keith, sure, done deal.....hey, wait a minute, then I'd have to sell three things to get the new one...give me a minute here to do the math.....ummm...1 for 3 =3 , then 3 minus 3 = 1, hmmm seems Ok.....I mean it balances....but , I know I'm missing something here... ah well...NOPE !

But thanks .
post #34 of 172 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 1975 404.0 DOKA
John,

Does it have the fast gears?

Thanks,

Phil
post #35 of 172 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 01:10 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Phil, I don't believe it has fast axles, but it does have the class overdrive. Correct me if I'm wrong John. -James
post #36 of 172 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Yep, you are correct, James, no fast gears, but it has the Claas and the (taller) XM-47's which help get the top end up there. I have paced it with a Pick-up truck with an accurate speedometer @ 65 mph and I was not flooring it. At higher speeds ,the UNIMOG needle tends to swing around a bit, making it a little hard to get a fix on the KPH.

I find that as I have owned the truck for a longer time, what it tops out at is less and less important... it has a comfort zone and you wind up driving in that zone , rather than standing on it to get the local SBU record, whatever that might be.

However, before I took delivery of the thing I was all wound up trying to figure out if I could get 70 or 75MPH out of it, trying to calculate how much the equipment would give me. Maybe it is just me, but now it doesn't matter so much. If I want to go roadracing, I take something else. It runs well and keeps with the program, and with the working gears and the standard portal/diff ratios, it is well stocked in the low range department.

The Xm-47's ARE a world-renowned road racing tire, however. I think Vic Elford had them on his Porsche Spyder at the Targa Florio...just that one time.

I drove the UNIMOG from Georgia to Montana, through 13 states and about 2200
miles, on the interstate and 2-laners without any issues, until I pulled a rookie
mistake and stood on the exhaust brake while at full chat, causing all sorts of consternation for a while there...

Next time I'm home I'll get the GPS turned on and do some level ground "SPEED RUNS", such as they are...
post #37 of 172 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 10:04 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 1991 1250L Doka Unimog
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Howdy John, I agree with your "How much can I get out of it" then going "it really doesn't matter". Once I did the GPS to see what it would do at max RPM. I haven't been at 76mph since. I travel at 60-65mph without strain(though not in the passes!). My drive from Montana was great. Very beautiful. My dad still lives in White Sulpher Springs. I don't have one, so, how well does the exhaust brake work? What issues happened during the OOOPs. What kind of mileage do you get? I think people who are thinking about buying one are wondering the same things we did. Have a great evening,
Chas
post #38 of 172 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Hi Chas,

Well, I have only checked mileage on two tankfuls when I was on the first trip. I was
a little shocked to see we were getting a bit over 13MPG while pushing into a steady
30 or 40 mph headwind on the interstate in Kansas. Neither of us could believe it, as
the wind was constant and on our nose, and I was really pushing the UNIMOG into it. One reason we checked the mpg at that point was to see just how lousy we were doing, given the conditions, the revs and the stellar UNIMOG aerodynamics...We checked and double checked, and then did the next tankful to be sure, and there it was, about 13.3 MPG. Crazy.
Eventually, we got tired of battling the headwind and it seemed Kansas was taking forever, so we took a right and made it a sidewind as we two-laned it up into Nebraska and then Colorado in short order. The side wind did not move the UNIMOG around, and I was able to back off on the revs as soon as we made the turn.

I haven't bothered to check the MPG since.

As far as the Exhaust brake, are you sure you don't have one? I thought they all did,
but the more I learn, the more I find they can have all sorts of different options. Yours is newer than mine, so maybe yours turns off with the key, but with mine, you can take the key out and ,aside from the dash lights, the UNIMOG doesn't seem to care...
It is the little White (in my truck) button on the floor, just where your left foot would come to rest, if you weren't "trained " to avoid it. It is the Engine-killer/exhaust brake, and (on mine,anyway) you can't use it until the air comes up, meaning that the first time you start it in the morning, you are making a commitment, so check for innocent bystanders, as you can't really kill the beast until the compressor gets enough air going, unless you dump the clutch in a low gear which is not a good practice....

So, while cruising at high-ish altitude south of Casper I stomped on the button,without knowing it,while also standing on the gas and it lost power, sorta sputtered and scared the heck out of me.
The UNIMOG was running really well, the air was cold and I was having a great time
then all of a sudden, brrrrddddddd...I clutched,shut it down and coasted to a stop (one REALLY misses the power steering as soon as it is gone), and I really thought I'd blown my new baby up. It was a dark moment....but after a few minutes, after checking it all out, I fired it up and it was just purring....checked it out some more and continued on to Casper. I put my case before the mailing list brotherhood via the internet, and they (KAI, MARK,ROB,RON,BEN,DARREN,CHRIS and others) went out of their way to offer diagnostic help, hauling services, etc etc.I checked it out all the next day,changed the oil,prodded and poked and came up with, in the end, nothing was wrong, except for me,the clumsy driver and it has been fine ever since. The amount of help I received, without knowing anybody on the list was astounding...I think KAI must've called me in Casper from San Diego 4-6 times, each time telling me new things to check; it was an amazing level of support, better than ONSTAR, for me.

Anyway, sorry for being so long-winded.I'll try and watch that...
post #39 of 172 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 10:10 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 1991 1250L Doka Unimog
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Thanks John, I got 14mpg once on the trip down from Montana and now get 10-11mpg. I do have the button on the floor but nothing is hooked to it. I think that it needs the butterfly valve on the exhaust to make it work. I remember reading your post as you were traveling home. I thought it was terminal. Glad to hear that the good folks helped out. I too have had great help from the "trust" of knowledge. I think it would be far more difficult to have a mog without the awesome pool to gleem from. Well good luck again on the sell,
Chas
post #40 of 172 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 11:22 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Hi , I think your mog is awesome . I am in the final stages of completing mine . I have only driven mine for less than a mile . I drove it , made sure that all 8 gears worked . Then ripped it apart two years ago . If is now painted and ready to get rolling . I am glad that there are people out there with lots of knowledge , because I am going have lots of questions . thanks Robb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP6592.jpg (70.2 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP6588.jpg (68.4 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP6587.jpg (64.9 KB, 402 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in