Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTB: 560 Engine

998 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ALONSO57 
#1 ·
Just got taken for a ride by a seller that rolled back mileage on a 500 SEC I just purchased. Instead of 66K miles, I believe it has closer to 200K miles and is blowing smoke (not bad but I see it when accelerating).

Notwithstanding the legal issue I have to tackle, I had a few questions:

If I can find a 560 engine, is it true that only minor modification is needed to install in a 500 SEC?

Does it bolt fairly easy into the tranny and mounts?

Any thing else I should be aware of?

Does anyone have a lead on a 560 engine?

While I believe the rings are bad, is there anything I can do to reduce the smoke?

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 ·
To install a 560 engine you'll need to either re-wire/re-pump for a CIS E system or use your 500 intake/fuel/ignition system on the 560.

I have a Mercedes re-manufactured 560 engine w/ about 40K on it.. i used to have another 560 engine but I'm building it for a customers 380 (we'll be doing a set up like you would need to run).

I'd run 20-50 and add a couple quarts of lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer.. that stuff will stop just about anything from smoking.

Drop a line or give a ring if you have any questions.

Jonathan
404 805 1357

#9 ·
jhodg5ck said:
maybe it's just me but based on the stories I've heard about Adsit I'd think twice before purchasing something from them.

As w/ all things YMMV.

Jonathan
Yeah, they're not pleasant to deal with.. very "un" customer oriented. But with some parts, they appear to be the only game in town.

#10 ·
Thanks. I was so excited to get my SEC, I didn't take my usual time examining the miles and as a result am faced with either a rebuild or new engine installation. Hopefully, I'll make out OK in claims court.

Was thinking I should go with the 560 engine (if I can find one), instead of the smaller 5.0. Any other advise or thoughts on this?

If anyone hears of a decent engine for sale, Please keep me in mind.

If anyone knows of a good Mercedes mechaninc or a good rebuild shop around the Detroit area, I'd surely welcome the tip.

All the best,

Mark 586-783-6833

#11 ·
One other question, you mentioned swapping out the manifolds. Can I unbolt the SEC manifolds and bolt back into the 560? Any spacers / other mods needed? I have a Euro model. Any considertions in that regard?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.