BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 2008 E350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to aerosly
(Thread Starter)
FS: 1990 420SEL - Black/Grey

As much as I hate to do it, I'm going to have to sell my 420SEL. Here is a link to the ad (complete with pics) explaining everything: http://orlando.craigslist.org/car/200234245.html

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 2008 E350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to aerosly
(Thread Starter)
Oops... sorry, I forgot about the "no linking" rule.

I haven't posted here in forever, so I'm selling the 420SEL. Here is a description I posted on a nother site:

I have posted this ad a couple of times before and received several inquiries, but- as of yet- no one has shown up to actually look at the car (if they did, I believe it would be sold). As such, I am posting it again:

After years of loyal service, I am putting my 1990 Mercedes 420SEL up for sale. This car has served me well for a few years; it saw two moves, it brought my son home from the hospital, it survived (without a scratch) three hurricanes, it carried my golf clubs around and it saw my girlfriend leave and move away. Through it all, it has been tried and stood true.

About the car:
The car is a black SEL (S-class, E (fuel injected), Long Wheelbase) with a grey leather interior. It has a smooth and reliable 4.2-L V8 engine. The windows are tinted (very dark) and the chrome is still shiny. There are a little less than 245,000 miles on the clock, but you would NEVER know it by the way the car looks and runs (I understand that mileage is not harmful to a Mercedes vehicle; for more information, you can join www.BenzWorld.org and read up- my username there is "Aerosly). The car was in immaculate condition when I got it and I have made every effort to keep it that way.

-The leather in the back seats is 10/10, the passenger seat is 8.5/10 and the driver seat is 6/10 (standard wear in a 16-year old car). Power seat adjustments work just fine all around.

-The wood (burl, I think) is mostly in good shape, though it is showing some age in a few places. The wooden pull handle for the center console is broken (someone broke into my car) but it can be easily reattached. I don't use that area much and no one has even noticed that it's not properly attached. I have pictures of all of the wood surfaces which I will be glad to supply.

-All but one window work fine. The REAR driver's side window does not go down, but all three others work without any issues. I recently replaced the switch for the driver's window.

-There is an aftermarket Sony Xplod AM/FM/Cassette deck installed and the stereo sounds fine.

-All gauges work perfectly.

Why this car is only $2,000:
The car is in excellent shape and I will miss it dearly. That said, there are a few items which will need attention:

-The air conditioner does not work (it blows warm). THE GOOD NEWS: Even though everyone says it, this time it really IS a coolant leak. You can fill it up with coolant and it will blow cold for 2-3 days. I can open the hood and point to the exact spot where it is leaking. It should be an easy fix. I have a picture of the A/C component where the leak is; I can send it via email if you want.

-The factory sunroof does not work. The sunroof is off its tracks; this issue would not be an easy fix. I no longer open the sunroof.

-One headlight bulb is blown (I have a spare headlight that will come with the car- all you have to do is put it in).

Some good points:
-For its age, this car is in excellent shape. I work in Winter Park and the car EASILY holds its own against newer Mercedes, BMWs and Jaguars and doesn't look at all out of place parked at the Winter Park Country Club.

-The car rides smooth with smooth acceleration and a smooth transmission. All of the important stuff is 100% Mercedes quality. You will NOT regret this car; I never did.

-I will even change the spark plugs for you before you drive it away.

Why I am selling it:
My mom always told me to find out why people are selling their used car, so I will save you the trouble. I recently achieved a personal milestone and am rewarding myself with a new (used) car... I am buying a small SUV that will carry both my dog and me and is new enough to take on long road trips. The tags on the Mercedes are now expired and I drove it for the last time on 8/28, just before I removed it from my insurance) and, instead of renewing them, I'm going to buy a new car. As much as I love this Benz, I can't keep it AND the new car so it has to go.

I am somewhat motivated, as I picked up my new car this past weekend and would like to recoup my down payment. As such, I am slightly flexible on the price (please do not offer me half price, this car is worth what I'm asking).

You are certainly welcome to come over for a test drive; just email me (I prefer email to phone calls) and set up a time. I can also email you any pictures you may want.

PLEASE NOTE: Please do not contact me from outside the country, I will not lose this car to a nigerian scammer.

PICS- I have pics that you can see on the other site I linked above. I have not hosted them yet so I don't have any to post here.

Sorry about the posting violation!

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: