|08-23-2006, 04:59 AM||#1 (permalink)|
Date registered: Oct 2003
Location: Swartz Creek, MI
FS:1990 Mercedes Benz 300SEL: $3000 OBO
This is no longer a feeler. After a night of thinking it over, I am putting her up for sale.
This is what I put out in yesterdays post plus some picture.
1. Second owner. I have had her for several years.
2. I have done all the maintainence either personally or professionally.
3. Head gasket was done by Motorwerks last summer.
4. Lots of records.
5. Borsch euro headlights. Had a bracket fabricated so the US wipers could be used.
6. I spend well over $5000 on having all the rust on the body removed. This included a repaint of course.
7. I had the back window removed and had the hidden rust in there removed.
8. Same thing with the front window, but I had a new windshield installed.
9. Car is very clean. I dont allow anyone to eat or drink in the car.
10. Showed the car at the Sloan Museum Car Show last summer and at the Mercedes Club of America show. Took second in class.
11. Comes with Mercedes Service Manual (from Mercedes, not an ebay copy)
12. Replaced the monovalve, water temp sensor
13. Have the dealer invoice. Got it from mercedes.
14. Has the original becker with the introductory cassette that came with the car.
15. Original tool kit and phone.
16. Rubber mats for rainy days.
17. I also had the front brake pads changed about a year ago.
18. The rear rotors, pads and calipers were changed a few months ago.
19. Spark plugs last summer at motorwerks and wires the year before that.
20. New hood pad
21. I had to have the windshield wiper arm changed at the dealership
1. I don't have all the records from the original owner. He assured me that he did all of them and believe him. This is where it sounds like a strange story. He bought the car when he was playing for the Detroit Lions. Used it as a family car etc. After he retired he coached at Grand Valley State University. He commuted form Detroit to Grand Rapids. Most of the miles are highway miles. When I bought the car, I went to his house. Gated community, kids in the schools-I understood why he commuted instead of moved to GR. He told me that he would mail out the records, but football season got underway and it got put on the back burner. Like I said, from speaking to him I believe he did all the maintainence. I do have some from him-the stuff that was in the glove compartment. He just took an NFL job and I don't think I can get a hold of him now. He probably threw out the records. When he tried to get the records from his safe he set of the alarm and the police showed up. He forgot the combination. I was in the driveway looking at the car. The cops just told me to stand there and not move while they checkout the house. I know sounds like a story. It actually took several trips to meet him to get him to sell the car. GVSU had given him a new Grand Cherokee to use. That helped him make up his mind about selling.
2. B-pillar. If you have a w126 you know about this. I was planning on having it taken care of next summer. I have been looking for a good shop and I found one that did museum cars, but they were pricey. Hence wanted to wait till next summer.
3. Since the repaint, the car has seen one winter. I washed her twice a week at the local do it yourself place and waxed her in the garage once a week.
4. The BIG ONE: The drive shaft needs be changed. You can get the parts from German Star for about $400 to $500. Instructions to change are on the CD.
5. The car still wants to stall out some times at a stop sign/light. I don't have this problem if I let the car warm up a bit first. (2 to 3 minutes)
$3500 OBO. I understand the nature of car shopping so make me an offer. I will not take offense to reasonable offers. Business is business.
More pictures in my gallery. Either pm me or email me at email@example.com
Last edited by Michael Pillay; 11-08-2006 at 04:33 AM. Reason: new price
|08-24-2006, 02:45 PM||#3 (permalink)|
Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 2000 e320 4matic
Location: Park City, Utah
Seems like a fair price. Same exact car but with 80,000 miles is for sale around me for $10k. Good luck.
2000 E320 4matic wagon
2001 E430 4matic sedan
1989 300SE (sold)
1994 E420 (sold)
1988 300TE (sold)
|08-29-2006, 06:43 PM||#5 (permalink)|
Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2000 E430, 1990 300 SEL
Location: Northern NJ
Sorry to see you're selling your 300 SEL. Looks like a great car and you've certainly put a lot into it and maintained it very well. Good luck.
|08-29-2006, 07:24 PM||#6 (permalink)|
Date registered: Oct 2003
Location: Swartz Creek, MI
Thanks. I am okay if it sells or not. My wife has been reminding me that I have wanted a project car for a while (not this is anywhere like a project car). Instead of sinking money into a porsche 912 or 356 or a bug, she thinks I should hold onto the w126 and make it perfect. Pretty much what I have been doing since I got her. Driving her last winter just killed me. I would rush to the car wash after work just to get that stupid salt off of it. If it does not sell, I will be glad to have it safely tucked away in the garage for the winter. I just got a SLK 230 so I have another car around to drive if I need. I can change out the drive shaft next summer. It should not take more than a couple of days and my son will be old enough to "help". Which is kind of what I wanted with having a restoration project.
I know I listed a ton of stuff in my initial description of the w126, but if you guys knew the level of obsession that went into this car, you probably would recommend I go into therapy.
The starter went out a couple of years ago. I found out who the porsche dealership used for their stater rebuilds. Turned out to be a shop pretty close to me so I had the work done there.
I have had people follow me into resturants, compliment me on the car and walk out of the resturant. I love this car. If it sells, it sells. The new owner will get a well cared for car. If it does not, thats good too. Before I am done, it will look better that it did the day it rolled onto the showroom floor at the Farmington Hills dealership.
|09-08-2006, 05:33 PM||#10 (permalink)|
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2005
Really nice car Mike, you've clearly given so much care!
If I could sell my 87 560SEL I'd take a hard look at yours! Mine's for sale in the forum as well at a big loss I might add.
FS 1987 560SEL - Spotless
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)|
|1969 Mercedes Benz 300SEL 3.5L V8 *MINT* CONDITION:||Lockdown||Vintage Mercedes-Benz||13||10-16-2006 10:23 PM|
|1990 Mercedes Benz 300SEL||Michael Pillay||For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway||0||08-22-2006 09:45 AM|
|1990 Mercedes Benz C-11 Le Mans car to be auctioned.||toprealtor||General Mercedes-Benz||0||08-16-2006 06:06 AM|
|FS- MERCEDES BENZ 300E 1990||Tyler2005||For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway||0||06-27-2005 09:35 AM|
|1990 Mercedes Benz FS $5000 OBO||jb8338||For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway||2||06-11-2005 10:19 AM|