LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Extended Warranty - Long post, good coverage and prices

Many of you know I am a Benz enthusiast, and always have one as a personal driver (currently a 1988 560SEC). But I also sell cars, and this leads me to the reason for this post.

First, if this is a violation of the terms of the board, let me know and I will delete it and not mention it again. Second, while I did a lot of my own research, I am certainly not infallible, nor can I predict the future, so please by all means do your own homework as well.

I have been on the hunt for an extended warranty for myself as well as for the cars I sell. I spoke to over twenty of the top extended warranty companies, finally settling on three. I met with all of them, and selected one both to offer to people that buy cars from me, and to spend my own money on as well.

The company is Great Lakes Warranty, based in Pittsburgh, PA. You can find out more about them, and their coverages and contracts, at www.greatlakeswarranty.com. I met with their reps, spoke to the BBB about claims history, and spoke to shops that have been reimbursed by them for claims. They have been in business for over a decade (18 years), and have a history of resolving or attempting to resolve disputes fairly. The consensus opinion on their claims payment is "tough but fair", and none of the shops I spoke with stated that they were unhappy with their experience with Great Lakes. That's about as much as you can ask for I think!

They have various plans, covering cars up to 15 years old with up to 150K miles, ranging from short-term powertrain only protection to long-term extensive major and minor named component coverage.

I post this because as a new dealer for them, I want to show my value and provide warranties for people that, in my opinion, offer good coverage at excellent prices. I have all the breakdowns of term, miles, surcharges (turbo, no deductible, etc), and other items. If you contact me via email at brucem105_AT_comcast.net, and let me know the specifics on your car (year/model/miles/in-service date), I will give you quotes for the various coverages that apply.

I promise the quote will be only 10% over my cost to cover calls, FedEx, faxes, etc., at least for the people that mention this post and the forum it came from. Most warranty dealers charge from 50%-150%+ over cost. You've all helped me enough over the years with my car questions, so this is the least I can do. Since (most of) you did not buy a car from me, you will be responsible for bringing the car to a reputable repair shop to get it inspected prior to activation of the warranty at your expense (usually $100 or so). Like most companies, they exclude pre-existing conditions, and look extra-carefully upon (although they do not automatically deny) claims made within the first 30 days or 1K miles.

In my research, this is the best I can find for the combination of coverage and price offered. I do not claim they are the best, but if you would like to get a quote to compare against the other companies you are reviewing, feel free to email me.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: