1994 E320 Best Out There(for Sale) - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 12:36 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A friend just bought a 1992 W124 sedan. White exterior grey interiors.

The car has 82k original miles.

The engine runs strong and the interiors look new.

My friend paid $3,500.00

Perhaps a bit low for that kind of a car. Still, I don't think you're gonna get your $7k back though. You have to be real careful on howmuch money you put into an older (non-classic) car. Unless you plan to drive it for a long time, the "investment" rarely, if ever, pays off.

Also, and this is now strictly in the realm of personal criticism. If you don't like reading personal criticism (even friendly one) please skip over this paragraph completely. I am a big fan of the W124 series. One of the comments that you most often hear about these cars are: 1. high quality and 2. understated elegance. Personally, I think that some of your mods cheapen the car and take away from the element of understated elegance. Even that most desirable of all W214, the 500E/E500 is a model of understated elegance. If it were not for thewide fenders and hugely fat tires, it could easily pass as just a garden variety W124 sedan (that goes for the inside as well). For instance, all that chrome that you have inside your car makes it look too "ricey." The AMG badging, inside and out, makes the car look fake. The dual-tip chrome exhaust is a nice otuch, but the rear bumper fascia was not properly cut off. There are nice touches, like the wood and leather steering wheel, but other stuff like a cup holder (I think that's what it is) by the right driver's leg is not a good idea, I mean I would have hot coffee or cold soda all over my right leg on a regular basis. Finally, some of the pictures don't show your car to its best advantage. Some pics are very dark and others show dirty interiors (I would have shampooed the driver side front carpet and I would have cleaned up the engine compartment). I recongnize this may not be the kind of criticism that you wish to read (assuming you are still reading). But you should take a page from the used car salesman playbook. Hell, if those guys can make a soggy, tired and smelly Detroit whore look like the object of your desires then you can do the same with a little effort. After all, you're working with a better product to start with. :-)

Why don't you keep the car for a couple of years, enjoy the work you put into it already, and "amortize" your investment over that time?

Good luck.

Last edited by 67_250SE; 06-05-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in