post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: 1985 300 DT in SE Virginia

FS: Mercedes Benz 1985 300D
It's time to sell my good friend and let someone else enjoy this car for awhile. To be honest I can't afford to have a 3rd car
in the garage; not being given the attention it needs. No time or money to properly care for it. I've had this car 2.5 years and got it from the 2nd owner
who took pretty good care. He paid over 2 G's for the paint and it shows. It's a 5-6 yr old paint job with only about 4 months in a garage and still
looks great with a couple of small bubbles, if you know paint you can tell it's a big money job. New front fenders at the time and a new MB dash. When I got it, I immediately started replacing rubber vac lines & fittings.
I serviced the trans with amsoil ATF and had new engine and transmission mounts installed. I replaced the fuel prime pump with the upgraded Bosch and put a new center prop shaft support bearing.
The guy had a pretty good mechanic he went to and they kept up the maintenance. I could tell things weren't neglected. He did live at the beach and there is no way to get the sand out of the rear carpet,
no matter how long you vacuum, it keeps coming.
I also put a new windshield in with a new seal. The original screen was pretty rough. The sunroof drainage tubes were eaten away and of course leaked into the cabin. I fixed this by
sleeving the tube all the way down the front pillar with a poly tube with a copper end and sealing it with cryogenic grade epoxy- so the leak is permanently fixed. I also replace the multi switch in the steering column[not cheap] everything works but the A/C. It doesn't leak which tells me the drier or compressor is bad. What I did do is charge it with auto cool HC12A. This is a hydrocarbon refrigerant that is extremely safe for the environment and people and works great, perfect replacement for R12. Easier on the system too. [ http://www.autocool-refrigerants.com/ ] The A/C worked great for about 2 weeks after I converted then just petered out.
Cruise works, all electrical and vacuum assisted items work. I just had the front brakes done about 1000 miles ago and the rears are good. The tires are goodyears and are in very good shape. The interior of the car is fantastic like a lot of the blue cars.
What does the car need to be totally awesome?
These are things that I can't afford [the time, and paying someone else in grotesque for such an easy car to work on] to do.

1. The rear widow seal needs replacing and there is some rust around it. This is causing a leak that runs into the rear driver side floor. The car is in the garage so this is not happening now but it will need to
be addressed. There is no damage to the floor board other than some very light surface rust that can be taken care of with some POR 15. I've used this with this car and it hold up well. There was some rot in the rear passenger side floor that I cut out and used the POR 15 system & epoxy and then I reinforced it with glass using the POR Patch as a resin [http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=8 ]
This worked like a dream and now it is solid as a rock [and I mean rock hard]. New window seal is $45.00 and it will cost around 80-100 to have it installed.

2. The CV boots on the axles have just let go. Well then just replace the boots.... Not that simple . If you are not familiar with these axles they have a metal can around the CV joint that has to be cut off
then crimped back on. www.mercedessource.com sells a cool kit with illustrated instructions to do this for 115.00. But, if I'm doing the work of removing the axles, I'm putting remans back on it. It's just me. these guys in Colorado quoted me 140.00 ea for high quality reman axles, they do it themselves and I've heard good things about them. http://www.cvjreman.com/MercedesBenz.shtml

3. It's time for a valve adjustment and valve cover gasket. Some say at 200,000 it's time for a new chain but I don't know about this for sure. Mercedes source has a nice kit for this as well

4. A/C looked at by a pro. I'm sold on the autocool stuff but somethings not working in the system, not just a leak

I've run 3 tanks of b100 in this and it ran great. I changed the filters soon after, didn't notice anything strange. I didn't change the return lines to viton but would have if I had closer access to biodiesel which I'm committed to supporting. There's a plant about 40 mi away but that may as well be 400 mi these days.

I've gone into a pretty detailed description of the issues this car has because I want the prospective buyer to have all the info they can get. With all that, this is a fine car. It's been my daily driver and has
never left me anything but happy. All my peeps love it and other diesel freaks flip for it. Perfect biodiesel car. Motor is STRONG and has good boost, cruises 75 like it wants more, and has a killer 1985 becker tape player with original speakers that somehow are still intact :-)

Let me know if you have questions, email is the best way - yojg at cox.net
Jim G 3000.00 Firm
757 753 6727 cell
photos: http://homepage.mac.com/deadrise/PhotoAlbum12.html
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: