LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FS: 1972 300 SEL 3.5

Classic 1972 Mercedes Benz 300 SEL 3.5 Gray beige metallic, blue velour interior with moonroof. This is a stunning looking 4 door sedan with 5 passenger seating. It was the top of the line Mercedes with all power options including lots of Mercedes chrome and solid wood dash and trim on the doors and around the windows, power door and trunk locks (vacuum operated), power windows (electric), air conditioning (factory). Original control levers still function easily. Cool Becker Corona AM/FM/LW/SW radio. This is the Long Wheel Base model with the 109.057 body style which is 9 inches longer than the standard SE models. VIN 10905612008374.

First shown at Frankfurt in 1965, the ‘S’ Class Mercedes-Benz range was outwardly distinguishable from preceding models by its new, sleeker bodyshell with lower roof/waist lines and increased glass area. Top of this ‘New Generation’ line-up was the 300SEL, a six-cylinder, 3-liter, long-wheelbase luxury sedan that, its excellence notwithstanding, was always a likely candidate for Mercedes’ new 3.5-liter V8 when that became available. The latter debuted at the 1969 Frankfurt Auto Show in the 300SEL and the 280SE Coupé/Convertible, its extra ‘horses’ boosting the former’s top speed to 127mph while trimming two seconds from the six-cylinder model’s 0-60mph time, a worthwhile improvement. Its straight-line performance apart, the 300SEL 3.5 was a most luxuriously appointed automobile endowed with superb ride quality thanks to its lengthened wheelbase and self-levelling air suspension. It was the only one of its 3.5-liter V8 gas engined contemporaries to sell in the USA. A mere 1,039 of these exclusive cars found customers before production ceased.

I bought this car in 1988 in Virginia. It was a foreign diplomat’s car. I sought out this 3.5 liter version which was only available in the United States in 1971 because it performs better than the later, pollution control equipted 4.5 liter engines and because I think the 6.3 liter versions were more prone to mechanical problems. This 1972 is a European 3.5 liter version without the pollution controls.

This 230 BHP V8 gas engine has plenty of power and can still chirp the tires on this large sedan when the 4 speed auto shifts into second! Believe this version of the SEL was the last of the handmade German cars from Benz.

Some work that I’ve had done on it during my tenure include: Stainless Steel exhaust system, New gas tank, king pin, tires, air bags, fuel pump, replaced all injector gas lines, new AC compressor, drive shaft flex disc, repaired some rust in cowl area of engine compartment, repaired radiator leak, replaced timing chain, hood release cable, wheel bearings, axle bearing, replaced the center clock with the optional Mercedes Benz tachometer and the usual points, trigger points, belts and brakes.

The air ride suspension never leaked until my mechanic introduced one while replacing one of the air bags. Now she squats after a couple of hours but comes right back after running the engine for a few minutes. Got 4 matching Michelin MXV4 205/70R14 95H tires with lots of rubber left.

What’s she need?
Air suspension leak fixed (to be 100%), body work and paint (dent on left rear door, fenders rusting in the usual spots), ignition switch replaced (she starts but will not shut off by the switch - I’ll supply a new one), hood ornament (I’ll supply a new one). I also have a new hood foam sound deadener piece.

Reason for selling:
I need a daily driver and the wife and 2 daughters don’t want to drive an old car anymore. I can’t keep it as a spare anymore and with college tuition, future weddings bills and impending job layoff I don’t expect that I’ll ever have enough time or money to fix her up. Love driving this car and truly hate to part with her. If I ever win the lottery, I’ll definitely be looking for another 3.5!

Looking for $1850. Car is located in Franklin, MA 02038

Contact Gary at gpbaxter1@aol.com or (508) 404-7421
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56_1639312_1023200522144PM.JPG (50.8 KB, 1347 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in