post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1990 300 sel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
WANTED wheels for a 126

I have a 126 and want to run bigger wheels. I currently have chrome stockers on there right now. I also have a set of AMG 18x8.5 et44 wheels that ALMOST fit. they don't clear the front by about 10mm. Any help would be great, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 05:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: V8 W123
RE: WANTED wheels for a 126

The modification is simply to move the outer tie rod in so it does not rub the inner rim of the wheel.
1. Go to a parts car, and remove both steering knuckles. They are bolted to the hub assemblies with two 19MM hex head bolts each, and attach the hub assy to the tie rod ends.
2. Take the knuckles to a machine shop, cut off the angled ends, and have the bolt ends milled flat. This will give you a spacer that is about 17MM thick.
3- Get four new hardened bolts, 5/8" longer (the thickness of the new spacers) than the originals, and put the spacers between the hub and steering knuckle on the car.
4- Screw in the tie rods 5/8" to shorten them. You do not have to cut them to do this. There is plenty of adjustment.
5- You may have to limit the travel of the steering a tad via adjustment bolt, to keep the tires from rubbing the inner fender wells during full turn. Minimal loss of turning radius.
6- Get an alignment.
7- Install the fat tires, ogle your new look, and savor the better handling!

By the way, I installed 8" wheels originally. and they were too wide for the tires. I now have 16X7.5 (ET35), and it looks perfect. Use the P205/55/R16 and the diameter will be the same, and you'll have no speedometer or fender clearance issues. As I've said, it's been on my car over 8 years, and I've had no ill affects.

NOW FOR THE DISCLAIMER!! You are messing with the suspension; potentially life altering parts of your German engineered car. Do so at your own risk! I did and was very happy with the results, but if I screwed something up, there is no one to blame but myself!
Copied from another MB site's (W123 forum)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 06:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: '82 380SEC, '74 280S
RE: WANTED wheels for a 126

Hi!

I don't know if you would be interested, but I had these on my SEC and I have them for sale right now. Write to me if you want to buy direct (see buy it now price: $475).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8000814637&sspa gename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

Write back if you have any questions.

Gansta Wheelz! Chrome All Over Me, Baby!

-GotTheBenz

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56_1598995_916200584414PM.JPG (48.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 56_1598995_916200584516PM.JPG (55.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 56_1598995_916200584541PM.JPG (27.5 KB, 25 views)

'82 380SEC (black, tinted, w/ interior of a '90 560 SEC, heated seats, ps, pm, 6 CD system, DENON pa, 225 Fuzions, wooden steering wheel, shifter, NGKs, ATE brake rotors, 100% synthetically lubricated with AMSOIL),
'74 280S (4 brrl carbs, inline 6 cylinder, chrome wheels, black interior, reinforced springs, super condition, totally gangsta!),
'06 VW TDI Beetle (light & fast, MPG:43+, 175 lbs-foot torque, 1.9 L, 100 hp, Manual 5-speed, Grey+tint)
'81 Santana 525 racing sailboat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in