Watch out for scammers!! - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 06:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Add C230_617, andsimp2, or newbenzcoupe to the scammer list he is taking money and not sending parts

one month no bi-xenon headlights and no 650$ refund BS from seller (he is on both sites read below) Personal info will follow if anyone else scammed will come forward and pm me

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203...-chance-5.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203...ml#post2402320

Bi-Xenon Headlights For C230 Sports Coupes On Ebay ? I Want To Do My First Mod Help - MBWorld.org Forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So...after reading this thread...I am left wondering: how CAN one safely sell something long distance without being scammed, or tossed in jail for accepting a check you had no idea was stolen?

Is PayPal REALLY the way to go?

Is the "open an account just for this transaction" the foolproof way to go?

--helping my widow friend sell her antiques and Benz

TIA

Dr Carl
post #53 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 06:09 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon, 1972 Mercedes 280SEL 4.5
Germaus37

In the interests of fair play, I have to pipe up and tell you folks that Germaus37 got me what I wanted. I had ordered a window regulator from him before I saw the posts, and I decided I would give him a chance before I went after him (I'm an attorney and have prosecuted for a fair amount of my career). I received the window regulator, have installed it, and it works fine (it looked better than ones that I had been pulling off of cars in junkyards). Just wanted it on the record that Germaus37 can deliver.
post #54 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I'd be willing to do that deal....but I'm only sending the difference back after the check completely clears (which we all know wont happen)[][8D]
Don't deposit eny of the checks, person depositing them is responsible even if tou did't know. Do you want to go to jail for frad?
post #55 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 08:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: Previous Project = E30 Alpina --- 8 years later, Project V230
so like a few other people are left wondering...how do you complete a transaction if the buyer and seller are too far apart?

I live in UK, have been scammed for just over £500 (not a lot but still enough to learn a lesson) so now tend to purchase anything over £100 in a face-to-face meet and encourage a buyer to meet me in person just for peace of mind.

I think at some point or other, we have all come across scams. So what would be the ideal way of completing a transaction which secures both the seller and the buyer?

I see some alloy wheels in this trade section but I don't see the point in emailing /posting on the thread as I get the impression it will go straight in the junk folder
post #56 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 01:20 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2001 S430
I just started to make a deal with a guy from NY, A set of five spoke chrome wheels?
Great deal!!!! Now reading this I am left wondering I am from Canada.
post #57 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 03:05 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1991 190e 2.3 auto
The only safe way to make an international transaction is to not do it at all.... When a deal goes wrong on a sale to another country, you have little or no recorse....I personally only deal with people in the US or Canada using postal money orders.... When you go to the post office to cash them, they know right away whether they are real or fake. If it is fake, the postal police will take the mater into their own hands, and they can be brutal....

PayPal seems good, but if someone pays you, and then makes a complaint that the item did not arrive, PayPal will deduct the funds from your account... PayPal tends to be on the side of the buyer, not the seller.... I personally sold a gun barrel to someone, and had him claim I nrever sent it to him... Later that month, he had the nerve to go on a gun forum and ask for advice on how to install his new barrel. I don't think he realised that I was a member of the forum though.... I eventually got PayPal to refund my money, but only after jumping through a lot of flaming hoops... (Hint... never scam someone when gun parts are involved... People selling gun parts tend to own guns....)
post #58 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:53 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
They send you a check for more than the car is worth and you send them the differnce, check is a fake and your out the money you sent.
You were helpful to another "nooby"
I don't see where to post my mercedes part for sale.
Can you send me in the right direction?
thanks for your help
post #59 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:32 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Lots of scams out there!

careful because even face to face they are now robbing buyers and sellers in public places and at you home. Almost got robbed last week. I will only do sales under 500 in person in public place like a mall or bank (lots of cameras). I prefer to use paypal but only to someone with a paypal verified address. at least it proves the card and address im shipping it to are the same. also make sure if you do meet someone to sell them something. not to walk out with the cash if you can help it. like deposit it in the bank if you meet at the bank. or make sure you meet in mall where you can walk out to your car from another direction making sure you park a little farther from where you are meeting them like a different store.
post #60 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccountChickIM View Post
You were helpful to another "nooby"
I don't see where to post my mercedes part for sale.
Can you send me in the right direction?
thanks for your help
they might have restrictions for newbs? alot of the site do. you usually have to make a few posts before they let you post for sale. helps reduce the scams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in