Advertisement

post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 02:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 2001 ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Watch out for scammers!!

The other scam is that they advertise a nice car for cheap and then when you contact them, they want you to put money in an escrow account. Recommended by their lawyer of course. Amazingly it all dissappears.
post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 09:49 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 1964 220 SEb

Yeh, I had a guy in the Indioniesia that wanted to sell me a Gullwing for $12,000. Maybe you would see a price like that in 1970, but not last summer. The real give-a-way was a freshly taken photo that was "snatched" from a renowned Gullwing restorer in the states who was also selling it, at the same time, for a "few hundred thousand" more. Then there was a under carriage photo he sent of the "Gullwing" that showed a rear muffler with dual exhaust. In the backgound was a compensating spring arching accross the differential like you might see under a 1969 280 SE. But, I imagine most people who can afford a Gullwing don't spend to much time under cars, so maybe he found a buyer (or several). Careful out there. We all are looking for that one great deal, but if it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.
post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 05:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 190e 2.3l-16v
Send a message via AIM to Gorilla Beast

Here is email (see below) I just got this within 24hour of posting my Lorinser RS3 wheels 20x10 for sale. Same song and dance, slightly different wording.

The last guy sent me fraud check from Switzerland. It was so phony I am keeping it for a souvenir just for laughs. I kept him thinking I was involved to show him how it feels to have his time wasted.

Here is a typical fraud email, I just got this one last nite for my wheels:

Sherri Murray <m_sherri02@rediffmail.com> wrote:

Hello,
My name is Sherri Murray,I have a client that is interested in buying your item,he informed me that the payment will be remmited via a (CERTIFIED CASHIERS CHECK ).Is the price you listed for the item firm? or what is the actual last price? In order to conclude the deal as soon as possible,the payment that will be sent to you will include the money for the sales of your item and the shippers fees for organising a home pick up service.You do not need to worry as my shipping company will come to pick the item up from your Location for shipment. What I want to clarify is that will you be able to send the shipping charges to the shipping agent through western union Money Transfer method as soon as you get and cashed the check and you deduct the money for your item?If you agree to assist in this capacity,send your full name,your address and phone numbers,which will be use for the issue of the payment.
Thanks.
Sherri Murray
PS: Email me the price of your item : ok?

post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 12:08 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: W140 '93 500 SEL

I agree... hey they WOULD NOT EVEN SEND A CHECK DOWN. What they would do is tell you they money has been sent via bidpa. They would ask you to ship upon receiving confirmation from bidpay... you will get that email... looks similiar to bidapy but it's not from bidpay... I never bothered to replt but out of curiousity i ask them for their address and tell these con man.... we'll sent someone to screw your ass!

they originate from nigeria

W126 91 300SEL EURO, AMG 16 INCH RIMS, BURL WALNUT WOOD, ABS, NAKAMICHI RD 701,STOCK SPEAKERS. WHITE FRONT AND REAR LAMPS.(SOLD)

W140 93 500SEL COMPLETELY STOCK

PORSCHE 911SC SPORTS PACKAGE AKA REAR AND FRONT TURBO SPOILERS, RED, TARGA. COMPLETELY STOCK ONLY ADDITION IS K AND N AIR FILTER.
post #16 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 04:19 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to vili1982

I lost 300 on a laptop and thank God it was only 300 because I know plenty of people who lost more than I did. How foolish of me to send money over Western Union without knowing who I'm sending it to. But ohh well we all learn. I earned my 300 dollars back "working". But God see's and remembers everything. Dont worry friends these people have no spot up there in the after life.

95 E320 Coupe
11 E350 4Matic P2
post #17 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:09 PM
enj
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2006

Here is my experience. After I put an ad in carsdirect.com, I received several e-mails, they started by asking reasonable questions, and then they all end up like following:

Great ...,I have to stop the order i have already made.I sent payment
for Another Vehicle But for the fact that yours is cheaper,has a lower
milage and more options .I decided that i go for yours and offset
shipping expenses and other commisson charges with the difference.This is to say that i accept your price.

As soon as i have your acceptance with the required payment information i will go ahead to terminate transaction with the former seller.I have already discussed that with him before writing you and he accepted on one condition,that he will deduct $150 from the initial payment of $41,900 sent to him.He informed me as well that du e to company policy and book keeping, this refund payment can only be made out in one whole amount, because the company policy only allows a refund payment in one cashier check, so i have to instruct for the check payment to be drawn and
send to you.
All you have to do is when you receive payment,you deduct your the
price of your vehicle and send the difference for shippment.
So send me an email confirming your acceptance to my offer with the
following payment information - (1) Full Name,(2) Address for delivery of payment and (3)phone #.
REGARDS..
EDDIE.
+447023054309.

This guy even gives his contact info:

HI,
PLEASE KINDLY STATE YOUR BOTTOM LINE OF PRICE.I CAN NOT COME TO SEE IT RIGHT WAY DUE TO THE NATURE OF MY JOB.

MEANWHILE I AM A CANADIAN BUT HAVE TWO YEARS CONTRACT WITH BRITISH AIRWAYS BUT MY FAMILY IS THERE IN QC.

BELOW IS MY CONTACT:
23 CAMOMILE STREET,
LONDON, EC3A 7PP
UNITED KINGDOM,

439 PL JACQUES CARTIER
MONTREAL, QC H2Y 3B3
CANADA.
EDDIE.
+447023054309.

So watch out.
post #18 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 01:19 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Matt Dayal aka Jay Jensores

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1245205&posts=26&fid=56

post #19 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 12:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Send a message via AIM to BenzBoy2006

Yeah we bought a motorcycle off e-bay and the A-hole never sent it to us he kept the money and the bike till one day we showed up at his door and POONED HIM! we got the bike but if I wasn't there my dad would have kicked the s**t out of that douche bag!!!!
So yes watch out for them because they are everywhere
post #20 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 06:25 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 1998 E320

SAME thing here when selling my Lexus GS300 on Auto Trader. It was a "buyer" from Canada. I strung him along for a couple weeks then printed all of the e-mails and took them and the FAKE certified check to my local police Dept.This happens A LOT and if you cash the check YOU are legally responsible for the money>>even if the bank did not catch it right away. Had this happen to a close friend and he was visited by the police and was forced to come up with the money or face jail time.
WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in