post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to r-deuce
(Thread Starter)
FS: '85 380SE

Due to a lack of time and effort on my part I have recently decided to sell my '85 380SE. I bought it alomost one year ago and it was going to be my project car, but a busy work schedule has taken most of my time and energy for the project. I plan on moving in a couple of months and I need to liquidate my assets.

I have decided to post it here first because I would rather see it go into the hands of an enthusiast. If there are no serious offers on here then it's going straight to Autotrader. That being said...

-The car has a very straight body. No rust whatsoever on the main body, but there is a very litle on the front plate mount.
-On the corners of the plastic bumpers there are few scrapes and you can see the yellow plastic.
-There is about a fist size dent on the front hood, it's not deep but noticeable under certian angles.
-The hood does not latch on left side, only the right side and the middle. I have driven it on the highway and although it scared the crap out of me, the hood stayed firm even at 80 mph.
-The trunk opens erratically, it sometimes takes a few tries with the button to get it to pop.
-All of the things mentioned above can only be seen under close inspection, but will not show up in the pics.

The interior is prob the least attractive part of the vehicle.
-The drivers leather is ripped on the back and the cushion. The dashboard also has about three large cracks in it.
-The drivers side window does not open. It needs a new window switch and regulator (ground down teeth.) If you switch plugs with the other window switches, the motor works fine, but the bad teeth on the regulator prevent the window from moving.
-The blower motor doesn't work. I have checked the fuse and it's in tact, but haven't gone into any further electrical diag. This also prevents me from knowing if the A/C is functional. You can however hear the vents moving when you switch modes.
-Overall the interior neds a good scrubbing. There are spots here and there in the carpet but nothing permanent.

-There is a loud annoying tick that is comming from the right rear valve train. I have had the cover off and inspected everything and nothing is out of ordinary (oil flow to cam lobes, cam shims, ect.) Like I said, I've had it for about a year and it has done this ever since. The noise has never increased or decreased since I've owned it, and I've put about 500 miles on it. I'm guessing it needs a valve adjustment but I can't say for sure.
-There is a slight misfire at idle. I believe this is caused by worn spark plug wires since if you touch them while it's running you get shocked. I have installed a new cap and rotor since the vehicle would not start when I bought it, and I also installed new spark plugs at the same time.
-It needs new A/C and power steering belts.
-A new air filter was put in about the same time as the cap and rotor and plugs.

-It needs both lower ball joints (clunking heard when driving on uneven surfaced such as dirt driveways)
-Almost all the boots in the steering linkage are leaking, but they are not worn out. I have recenty greased all of them and the hold a good amount.

Those are all the major flaws of the vehicle, and knowing this a potential buyer will not be surprised what they are getting into. I am very up-front about the vehicles I sell.

With the bad stuff out of the way here are good things.
-It starts every single time without hesitation. Even in the dead of winter when I didn't drive it and it was 10F it fired up first time every time. Never stalls out, never over-heats, and is very reliable. I would feel comfortable driving it anywhere within the state of Michigan.
-The previous owner had new brakes installed. I haven't personally inspected them but they don't squeal a bit and work better than the new brakes on my '97 VW.
-Tires are at about 9/32nds (for those that don't know tread depths 3-4 32nds is considered dangerous).
-Power sliding moonroof works perfectly and doesn't leak.
-I have installed clear corners that I purchased off e-bay as you can tell in the pics.
-The hood star is the removeable one available from adsitco.com. A very nice thing to have when parking in large, poor-lit parking lots. Just lock the doors, pull out the hood star, and put it in your pocket.

Now down to the deal. I am asking $2000 O.B.O. partly because it has 213,237 miles on it and to an average person who's not familiar with mercedes reliability that is entirely too much. I bought the car not running for $2000 and I am only looking to get what I paid, less the maintenance items and aftermarket items. This is a very good deal and I don't expect it to last long, once it is sold i will delete this post. You can contact me either through here, or even better through my e-mail (xneverbelongx@hotmail.com). I check that every day. Any questions or specific pic requests can be answered here. Thank you for reading.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: