BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: 380 SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'83 380SEL For Sale Queens NY 104 K miles $2700 OBO
I am forced to sell this light blue beauty because my wife wants a newer car. I held out just as long as I could but "resistance is futile".
This car has been great to us during our 22 months of ownership.
I bought it in 8/03 with 84 K miles on it from a friend. My wife and I put a total of 20K on it in less than two years of relatively trouble free operation. No regrets except for gas expenditures but that comes with the territory.
At 104K, people in the know about these cars will tell you that is pretty LOW mileage for its age. These things run forever if maintained and pampered.
I traced back this car to its first two owners who kept up on the maintenance. I have books which show all required maintenance up until around 60K. CARFAX REPORT WAS SPOTLESS! I have copies which will be provided to new owner.
Clear Title in posession and it is currently registered, inspected and insured in NY State.
Owners manual, maintenance book, CD-ROM repair manuals and all of my repair bills and purchase bills will be provided to the new owner.
- 380 V8 engine runs very strong and timing chain has been checked and is within specs.
- tranny works good but bucks a bit when shifting in reverse with a slight delay to engage - fairly common.
- all power works including all windows, door locks, sunroof, heated adjustable seats, lighter
(note - plastic for front seat recliner switches has snapped on both sides but is there; to adjust seat I simply use a ballpoint pen to activate reclining switch).
- Original Becker cassette/radio and speakers.
-Original first aid kit in rear storage bin.
- Analog cell phone with setup for hands free operation and rear antenna can be converted to todays technology.
-Auto climate control has issues, AC blows but not cold, heat blows but not hot (thank goodness for the heated seats), compressor may be the culprit but air blows very hard on all settings and this is also pretty common on these cars.
- blue leather interior is very good...no tears at all but vinyl delamination only by shoulder belt storage area - very common. Just re-glue it in place.
- wood trim all good and very shiny, no significant scratches.
-Some weatherstrip around rear doors is loose, just needs to be re-glued with 3M adhesive.
- light blue exterior is very nice, some scratches from its 22 years mostly in the NY area along with some very minor chips and some abrasions, slight dings etc. on the front and rear bumpers.
- side moldings complete and good.
- front grill is shiny but has some dings.
- window glass is all original all around and in good shape except lower rear has that milky appearance along about 2" of the bottom of the glass - again quite common.
- hood release lever has come off from its assembly under the dashboard so I just have to pull down hard to open the hood - cheap and easy to fix.
Things I replaced since owning include
- ignition control module, ignition coil, synthetic Mobil 0-40 oil (and filter) every 2000 miles, all four brake pads replaced and fluid drained and serviced, steering damper replaced, transmission serviced including fluid and filter replacement, 4 seven month old all season tires and 4 one and a half year old regular tires, radiator serviced and flushed using MB fluids, plugs, distributor and rotor, air filter, gas filters, window regulator jaws.
Included in sale will be some new parts including 8 spark plugs, all new belts, 8 qts. of Mobil 1 0-40 synthetic oil, hood star emblem assembly (the star was stolen twice so I now just leave it off).
I would like to sell this great car to someone who knows what owning this car entails.
I do not want headaches and callbacks about how expensive this part is or how much that repair costs. I hope to have a win-win transaction so that all parties are happy.
Please keep in mind that you are buying a MB luxury sedan that costs $58,000 in 1983 dollars. Of course it will cost more to own, repair and maintain than an "ordinary" car especially as it ages.
Please note that you buy this car with NO warranty... let the buyer beware.
FINAL SALE IS JUST THAT...FINAL!
I have described the car as honestly as I can and I am not mechanically inclined so please check it out for yourself.
Please email me with offers, questions, suggestions etc. to email@example.com
Thank you for allowing me to join this great forum. I have used and enjoyed it for the whole time I have owned this cool car. What a great resource and a very nice bunch of people.
I will certainly miss it here. I have referred some MB driving friends to the site and they are hooked.
Keep up the great work and happy motoring.