Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What would you do?

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  rudeney 
#1 ·
Please help me decide what I should do in this situation because I'm honestly torn in what to do.

A neighbors' tree fell on my car (a 'black 06 SL600 with two-tone graphite interior). So far there is $15k worth of damage to roof, hood, passenger door and trunk (additional damage possible). Surprisingly, none of the windows broke as a result of the impact and a branch was wedged into the passenger window. (amazing cars these are). When the tree was finally removed (took a week before the insurance company did anything), the car was leaning at a 30deg angle so I'm sure there's going to be some suspension damage.

The delimna is... Do I allow the insurance company to repair all that is wrong or allow them to total the vehicle? I've tried looking on autotrader, Craigslist, cars.com, Edmunds, etc. and couldn't find one that I like as much as my current one. The flip side is that I believe that no matter how good the repairs are the car will not be or drive the same.

If this were you, what would you do?

#2 ·
Unless the car has priceless sentimental value to you, I would do everything in my power to total it, if the hit was strong enough to bend the roof frame, I doubt any skilled shop will get the top back 100%

Don't get me wrong, everything is possible, and a skilled worker with enough interest can bring it back, but realistically, considering labor cost and time, I've never seen an SL with roof damage get repaired back to factory condition, you're likely to end up with binding and squeaking, if not more

#3 ·
^^^ +1. It's not worth the future headaches. You might want to make a deal with the insurance to "buy" the car back and part it out yourself. The ignition coils are worth $$$. :)

#5 · (Edited)
No sentimental value but I can't find another for sale in its color combo, condition, and with the AMG wheels I believe belongs on the car so there's no telling how long I'd have to wait before I found a good replacement.

Paint was near flawless and dealership I purchased from installed new ABC pump as condition of purchase so it would not be a future worry. In the last year I've replaced both batteries, brakes, conductor plate and spark plugs as maintenance items. To replace the car could potentially result in having to do all plus ABC pump all over again.

I'm torn because it'll be practically a brand new car once all repairs are done.

#6 ·
SL600 is one of the few R230 worth saving, however way you describe damage the hit is fatal. At the very least you will have to replace most/all roof panels, and aligning them outside of factory will be challenging.

Your next challenge will be convincing adjuster that your SL600 is not the same car as 10K failing-ABC 2003 SL500 that are sold on ebay.

#9 ·
Just a devil's advocate view: Many insurance companies warrant covered repairs for a "lifetime" as long as you use their authorized shops. So, maybe it's worth it to have it fixed. Given that the vario roof system will need work, one could argue that any future problems likely stem from the incident. And if the suspension needs work, same for ABC - even a failed pump could be cause by contaminates during the repair. Just a thought...

#10 · (Edited)
My 2¢.....
So sorry for your bad luck! Good thing you weren't in it!!

I agree with all above. Looking at used car pricing for '06 SL600,(not many for sale) range from $25K to $35K depending on mileage. You may be hard pressed to get the insurance company to write you a check for more than the repair cost. Remember, they work with repair shops to keep the costs down and may even offer kickbacks etc. My guess is that they will opt to repair the car and you will then be stuck with that blemish on the CarFax report. If they will settled with you, that would be my choice. You will most likely never be happy unfortunately.

Good Luck,

Bob

#11 ·
Take the money and run! Not sure what you paid for the car but if you did not overpay you should be ahead of the game.
FYI- I recently bought an 09 with 49 k miles-was a cpo with good records and new Abc pump etc. White pearl pano and everything else-not a ding on it for $29,000. Not a super price but it is a better than average unit.

I doubt an Sl 600 is worth $20 but it only takes one. buyer with hot pants!

Would you share your purchase price with the forum!
Paul

#12 ·
I recently bought an 09 with 49 k miles-was a cpo with good records and new Abc pump etc.
I think it's odd that the pump was replaced so early, especially on a MY2009. There must have been another failure that caused it to run dry.

#14 ·
Ah, I see. Mechanical parts can fail at any time. I don't know if the MY2007 revisions were really any more reliable, but you don't often hear about them failing in the forums, unlike the earlier ones where there seems to be at least one a week going. Anecdotal evidence, of course, but maybe a bit telling anyhow!

There are hot days when I wish I had a lighter color. Mine is "steel gray", which is a dark blue/gray, with a black interior. Mine is a daily driver, though I work from home, so I don't have to drive it, but I seem to always find an excuse to "run errands". :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.