post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2017
Vehicle: 2004 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Trunk Lid won't close

Was working fine but one main cyl. leaking. The one with the ridge on the side and the snap ring holding piston in. Took it apart, put new u-cup in (Muu-8x16x5.7 from Hercules Sealing products in Clearwater FL. - about $3). Reassembled all cyl, screw, panels, in trunk. Now top goes up & down (no leaks) but trunk lid stays open. If I push it down (almost closed) and hit dash switch, it just stands up again. No trunk light either. What did I screw up? Yes, the trunk panel is snapped in on either side and plenty of oil in pump reservoir. I disconnected to rear battery for a couple of minutes. Didn't do anything. Where is the fuse box in the trunk? This is a 2004 SL500 bought for my wife. Beautiful car and already she hates it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:44 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Are the flaps folding? If not, that;s why the trunk lid won't close, so you need to look at that. Here's a good diagnostic doc that might help:

http://benzbits.com/r230/VarioRoofDiagnosticAid.pdf

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

http://benzbits.com/rudeney.htm
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Yes, the flaps are closing and opening when they are supposed to. I downloaded the excellent Vario Roof Diagnostic Aid. I think, maybe, I disturbed a switch trip or something when I rebuilt the cyl.

BTW, rebuilding the cyl. wasn't that hard or expensive. The U-seal (better than the O-rings available on eBay) are obtainable from Hercules Sealing Products in Clearwater, FL. The part number is MUU-8x16x5.7 and costs about $3.50 ea. They are a SOB to put on over the piston but I soaked them in hot oil for a couple of mins. Then 2 of us. held and pried it over the piston with little screwdrivers. Make sure to take the piston seal off while doing this so as not to screw it up. It was harder getting the damn snap ring out! But, no leaks.

Thank you for the diagnostic doc. Every SL hardtop owner should have this and maybe sleep with it under their pillow!
ichris's_dad56 likes this.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 08:53 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
It does sound like it's switch not working. With SDS. you can get codes and narrow it down quickly. That diagnostic id came from SDS.

--

- RODNEY

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I have unfolded the top part way several times and tried to test the switches. This top was working fine but cyl. leaked. After that the trunk won't move. Flaps work fine. I have pulled the plastic switch activator out on the trunk cyl. and ran it up/down a bunch of times and clicked it back in - nothing. The front locks are working fine. The vario (what a stupid name) top goes up and down just fine. The trunk lid just won't move. I don't dare try to drive it the 50 miles or so to the nearest M-B dealer with the trunk lid in the up position and no local mechanic will come and look at it. At this point, I'm willing to pay for any help. I am a mechanic but baffled. I downloaded the top diagnostic manual but the answer is elusive. Please help. My wife won't go near it and since I bought it for her birthday, it is going up for sale as soon as I get the trunk lid fixed. Reminds me of our early days with computers back in the early 80's.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you but I don't even know what SDS means and nobody local does either.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Outstanding Contributor

SDS = Star Diagnosis, the official MBZ shop tool.

--

- RODNEY

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
So where am i supposed to get the SDS?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 05:58 PM
Outstanding Contributor

If you are willing to put in some effort to learn and have really good computer skills, you can put one together yourself for around $250 (assuming you have a laptop with an RS232 interface). Buy the multiplexer from China, then download the software form various sharing sites. You can buy a turnkey system from China for $600-$700 already installed on a used Dell laptop.

If all that sounds too daunting, you might find an indy shop in your area, or maybe even a fellow forum member that has it can can help. Otherwise, you're going to be tied to dealer prices. One other alternative, if you just need to pull codes, is iCarsoft i980. It can read codes from all the specialized MBZ systems, but it doesn't offer the shop manuals, guides and other functions of SDS.

--

- RODNEY

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Rodney. My frustration is showing. I've been a mechanic most of my life and I just can't figure it out. Why did it work before and I disconnected nothing, just rebuilt one lousy hydraulic cylinder? ANd there is no one within 50 miles who will even look at this POS car. I could always disconnect the trunk cyl and let the oil drain out but it still won't latch. ANyway, thanks for your help. You have more staying power than I have. I'll stick to my tractor and heavy equipment hydraulic work. Sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.