Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

03" SL55 shifter rebuild

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  98 SLK230 US 
#1 ·
Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated...

I took apart my shifter to repair the broken selector lever and when I reassembled it, the car is shifting at much higher RPM's and there is sometimes a delay when I put it in gear for the transmission to engage... Any ideas as to what may be wrong? Any assistance would be appreciated...

This is a "keyless go" shifter...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This is odd, but probably related to the repair. I'll throw out a couple of ideas for you to research.

There is a button for summer/winter/manual shifting action. If the button selector is always in manual, it may want to shift at redline. See what the dashboard says. Normal is 'S' for summer.
The shifter has a semi-manual right/left action. If these wires are not hooked up, it may cause a weird symptom. My guess is it will do nothing when you go to shift using right/left bump.

#4 ·
I can still operate the Summer/winter/manual button as I should. I've actually been using the car in manual mode to shift at the proper RPM's. I'm not getting any change shifting from right to left so I will check that connection... The isn't redlining but shifting to 3rd, 4th & 5th gear at 3500...

Thank you for the tips!

#3 ·
Is the "-" shift stuck ?

#6 ·
The 3 options in SL55 are Sport - Comfort - Manual

Other reason that could cause this is stuck kick switch at the pedal, or wiring thereof.

May need to scan the car to be sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.