Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Door chip protection

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Tomcat SL55 
#1 ·
There's got to be thin clear door edge guards somewhere. What I find in auto parts stores I won't put on the SL because I think they are both bulky and ugly in appearance. Mercedes probably has something that the body shop installs but looking for any other options...something that I could possibly do myself?

#5 ·
Mercedes does not offer these, but you're likely to find something at local body/vinyl/custom shops. Best is usally made by 3M

However, word for the wise, there is a reason why factory does not sell these things, These products typically intended to address the inner irrational fear of damage in our car, that we all have.

However, practice shows that these product, specially that they are not installed for a day or two, but often get installed for years

experience taught me that these protective films cause more harm than good, because after several years of being cooked in the sun and elements, they may:

1- turn yellow

2- turn dull

3- peel clear coat off when removed

4- over protect the area of application, keeping it shiny, while the rest of the car ages normally. It creates an eye sore.

5- damage paint

6- trap moisture and inhibit rust

amoung other problems,

based on my previous experiences, I wouldn't recommend them at all

Reactions: Heatwave
#8 ·
The SL is aluminum, but no metal is water proof, aluminum corrodes...

None the less, even the Ford truck, the bra is typically dealer installed option, not factory option...

These bras are typically part of dealer installed value added sales to bloat the loan, similar to wheels, wheel protection, bras, accessories, radar detector, remote install... etc

#9 ·
The SL is aluminum, but no metal is water proof, aluminum corrodes...
True, but we in the "aluminati" prefer the term "oxidize". :wink

None the less, even the Ford truck, the bra is typically dealer installed option, not factory option...

These bras are typically part of dealer installed value added sales to bloat the loan, similar to wheels, wheel protection, bras, accessories, radar detector, remote install... etc
So true!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.