Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Replacing starter battery question

20K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  bobterry99 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2005 SL65 was pretty weak the last couple times starting, and today at the gas station my wife had to come give me a jump after I had turned it off. I know it is charging because the other day it read way above 14 volts when it was running when I tested it at the engine battery. So I figure the battery has lost its crank power. But looking at this black plastic above the battery, before I start monkeying with it tomorrow, does anyone know if that just pops off in order to get some room for the battery to come out? Also, anything I should be aware of in replacing the starter battery? I replaced a couple convenience batteries before but never the starter battery. Thanks.

IMG_7169FrontBatt by JanDaMan, on Flickr

See less See more
#3 ·
1- Make sure you disconnect the rear battery first, ground cable disconnect should suffice.

2- look at the opposite edge of intake duct strainer, you will see two levers, that you can push away, and lift the grill, and turn it over, then lift it off

3- rest is self explanatory, remove the battery, and install new one.

4- only after the new front battery is hooked up, connect the rear ground.

#5 ·
I had to replace the starter battery in my 2004 SL500 about a year ago. It died on a Sunday and I needed to get one in it that day. All the usual aftermarket battery places did not show anyone who made an aftermarket battery for the starter position. My only choice was to go with a MB battery.

#7 ·
Reactions: funymuny
#9 ·
Even if they were the same price, I would rather see a tristar when I pop the good, rather than Advanced Auto parts logo... :grin

#11 ·
My coal dealer wants almost $300 for the starter battery, and it comes with a 1-year warranty. I'd gladly forgo the three-point star for the Advance Auto label to get a 3-year warranty (and a a bonus not spend my money at the dealer). The thing with batteries, is there aren't that many manufacturers these days, so the AutoCraft may actually be made in the same factory as the MBZ. For many years, I've been using AutoCraft for my other MBZs - they were the first brand to offer AGM batteries.

#12 ·
I think Varta made the OE battery

You need a better dealer, these people are selling stuff at higher than listing price :eek

#13 ·
There the only dealer for 50 miles (and the one that's 50 miles away is a joke). They have a long, long history of ripping off customers for parts and service. Since I used to "work" there, I used to get decent pricing, but a few years ago, the dealership sold out to Nick Saban (head football coach at The University of Alabama) and they fired everyone I knew.

#14 ·
I know the feeling, happened to me in Ohio years ago... one of the reason why I moved to MA :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.