Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Late r230 ABC Revisions

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  latemodel21 
#1 ·
Selling a 2003 SL500...surprisingly free of ABC problems in the four years I've owned it.

Looking at a 2011 and possibly some 2009 models. Here's my question: A SERVICE ADVISOR AT A MB DEALER ACTUALLY TOLD ME that in mid-2009, the ABC system was changed to an "airmatic" air suspension system! I think he has never seen an SL in his shop!!!

So, can someone give me the straight dope on actual revisions to the ABC system during the 2009 or later model years of the r230 (in other words, through 2012) and any thoughts on improvements, problems, etc? I've heard ABC was "simplified" but I'd like to know details that are significant.

Thx much!

#2 ·
Someone else here will be able to provide specifics about the later year ABC changes (improvements/changes to valves, pump I believe I have read elsewhere) but having owned a 2004 and 2011 SL/R230 I can assure you that the suspensions are essentially the same...active suspension using hydraulic fluid. Mark

#3 ·
Thanks much. I knew this was the case, looking for specifics and you're correct that someone will have info on technical changes/revisions. Can you tell me anything I might want to know about driving experience difference if any, service experience, etc on the '11?
Thx again!

#4 ·
My '11 was a cpo...low miles, still under factory warranty. It is just a solid (heavy) car...exactly what I expected it to be. Exhaust sounds a bit throatier than the '04 I had. It is a slightly larger engine. They may have tweaked the exhaust...not sure. The only service issue I have had was to replace the instrument cluster. Not sure what it is with these things...I read about the older ones on the boards...they go out, become dim, splotches, etc. I noticed mine had some unevenness in the LED lighting as I was driving it home from the dealer. If it had not been under factory warranty I would have turned around immediately...not sure how that would have turned out. It was replaced under the factory warranty (no surprise...a story there dealing with the dealership)...in fact, twice, because the first replacement had a slight scratch on the bezel. I asked the service advisor...if someone wants to go on record and say this is normal then I might not complain about it. Of course no one wanted to do that so they replaced it. I had the ABC fluid changed at the indy after I got it home. It was not dark brown but definitely not translucent green. It was about four years old with 22k miles. No other issues...yet. Mark

#6 ·
it was revised in 2007 and up, simplifying the system; introducing 2nd generation valves, as we as combining the main pump with pressure regulator and main pressure sensor.

The maintenance should be lower with the new system, at least when it comes to valves, but from what I ve seen, the pump itself and spheres should be treated the same; a wear and tear component.

As far as performance, the revised system further limited the body roll, allowing for better body dynamics, while keeping the ride quality the same.

#7 ·
Thanks guys, great info. As I stated earlier, my 2003 has been surprisingly maint-free. Flushed the system once while I owned it, with a new filter (ABC, that is). Check engine light one time-vacuum leaks-and my indi replaced most of the tubes around the upper engine and otherwise its run like a champ. Top has even performed with no prob. One time I had heater not warming, that was wiring harness to the climate control switch panel and had to be r&r at dealer so that was fun for my credit card, but not so bad over 4+ years. I'll miss it...but it's time, if you know what I mean.

Very excited about 09 or later, looking at an '11 right now.

Thanks again for great intel!

#8 ·
Likely worth adding to this thread is the Mercedes DTB (#P-B-32.50/31) that covers an odd problem found on some early R230s (using ABC modules with software Q8 or earlier) . There are only 2 revisions after that (Q9 and Q10) and Mercedes suggests these 2 have the bugs worked out. I swapped the ABC module in my 2003 SL55 to a Q10 (while chasing other issues) , but can't say I've noticed a difference (my RR still comes up a little while idling so I probably just need to clean the valve block).

Cheers and happy holidays,
Chris

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.