Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Measurement request

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  kbob999 
#1 ·
Would some be able to help me out with a measurement? The PO had 20" wheels installed and I believe that he had the car raised a bit to accommodate them.

I have the original 19" wheels and now the car is a little high. So if someone would be able to give me a measurement from the ground to the top of the wheel arc both from and back?

I would like to see how much I should lower it. Also, if I am thinking right, then the camber would need to be adjusted, correct?

#2 ·
Ive raised and lowered alot of cars. If you have some control over the height, then you make it the way you like it. If you lower it too much you rub and scrape, so you raise it a little. You make it look the way you want it. drive it for a while, get it so it drives ok. get it so its equal measurements etc. Then get it aligned. yes if you do anything to it you have to align it

#3 ·
Also, if I am thinking right, then the camber would need to be adjusted, correct?
The camber is not adjustable if the original rear suspension components are fitted.

My car has been lowered with Star Diagnosis, so I don't have measurements to provide as a reference.

#9 · (Edited)
I get an error saying that "level signals are not with the valid range" similar to this thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230-sl-class/2116954-ride-height.html. Apart for bending the sensor mount, are there any other workaround?
Replacing the fixed link with an aftermarket adjustable link was mentioned, and doubtless that is easy to implement and will work.

One poster mentioned a diode, and I believe that would probably work.

That same poster mentioned bending the bracket or inserting a washer. Maybe my perspective is incorrect but it seems to me that adding a washer or bending the bracket to increase the gap as illustrated in his post would have an effect opposite of what is intended.

If it were me I would try bending the bracket whichever direction is correct, and I think I would remove the sensor and do it off the vehicle to avoid the risk or breaking the stud that mounts the sensor to the chassis.

#7 ·
it the car too low or too hi? you can tell if its abnormal. drive it around a little. I think you probibly fouled one of the sensors. if you flop the arms too rough you can make it foul if you have to unhook the link, feel the arm travel smoothly then put the link back on smoothly

#8 ·
The car is too high by at least 1.5". I don't know about a fouled sensor. The sensor is a variable resistor mounted in a water and dirt resistant housing with an arm attached to it. The voltage readings has to between a range and if it not the ABS refuses to store the new values.

#10 ·
I kept fiddling with it yesterday and I found that instead of doing the whole adjustment in one step, i came through it by doing several smaller adjustments. I am not sure why it would matter, but it did. I pretty much got the car where I want it, but it seems like the raises 1/4" after I am done. Kinda odd...

My only problem is now that the front scrapes when I leave my driveway. I see some concrete work in my near future... :|

#11 ·
sgaar,
You might want to read this 'tweaks' document for how to hold the lowering settings in the SDS: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230-sl-class/2519225-sds-tweaks.html#post13431721
I have lowering links, so have not used the SDS to lower my car. The trick is getting into the 'startup' section to get the values to hold.

Also - you may find the car feels like it is on the bump stops at the lowest ride height. That is plain uncomfortable to me.
I raised my car so the lowest setting is workable when driving, then use the higher settings for more ground clearance, or slightly better ride quality. And the performance has not been compromised, just the slammed look.
Others will use the lowest setting only for parking when stationary, and higher for driving. Your call on what works for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.