Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Nice or Tacky?

6K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  cadbob 
#1 ·
I did some front end work recently, F1 Apron went in, as well as newer style grill and fog lights...

I added 2 aftermarket touches, that I am not sure about... I figured i ll hear your unbiased opinions:

What do you think about
- Smoke side markers
- Wheel hub cap
- Anything clashes?

disclaimer (I know, the car needs washed, but I cant keep up in new England)

See less See more
#3 ·
I considered the clear, but they clashed with everything, the smoke flow with the rear blinkers...

My train of thoughts and school of design was the clear flow with the colors of the base line SLs, but not AMGs...

I admit though, I wish they were just a shade lighter...

#4 · (Edited)
here is a lower shot that show the full line and color flow...

Of course the mirror is now clashing with it, but not to worry, I have the new arrow style one pending installation...

Reactions: Ingenieur
#7 ·
I am gathering opinions, tell me if you're talking about the wheel hubs, or lights or both...

#8 ·
Just my opinion, on a red SL, I'd keep it stock and lose the red on the rims and the smoked blinker. If your SL was black, then in my opinion the smoked might look better. but that's just me.

BTW. I have the same rims and get lots of compliments just the way they came from the factory.

#15 ·
Also, you need to improve bumper fitting - gap at the front is very visible.
Not sure if we're looking at the same picture, but what gap are you talking about?

#22 ·
Bayhas,

As everyone knows, beauty if in the eye of he beholder!! Goes for women, cars, and modifications - ha.

I have a firemist red SL55, and I too did not like the contrast of the orange front maker lens with the metallic red car. I prefer white/clear on the front end of the cars and red on the back end. So, my SL55 has the clear marker lenses with yellow bulbs (top of the bulbs painted silver, so there is no yellow until the bulb is lit).

I have both the 18" turbine wheels and the 19" SL65 two piece with titanium painted spiders. I like both appearances. Have AMG caps on the two piece and plain MB caps on the turbine wheels.

Thanks for asking, but if YOU like it, that is the only really important opinion.

#23 ·
Well Rims and Tires Home, the Pilots on them have about 80% life left on Rims and tires look new ($800.00), the driver was 74yrs old. Unfortunately my trucks alternator shit the bed so both myself, Truck, and Rims came 60 miles home on Flatbed! Grrrrr :crying

I treat myself and look what happens! :)

#25 ·
night and day!

#27 ·
As I said, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

To my eye, the turbine wheels and the SL65 2 piece double 5 spoke wheels are the best looking wheels AMG has produced. I'm not a fan of aftermarket wheels, as in these large 18-19" sizes, high quality OE wheels bend easily enough. Aftermarket, unless forged are not usually high quality enough to withstand the roads we have here in the US (where they often could pass for those in a 3rd world country).

Glad you got them, as again - to my eye - they improve the cars looks significantly.:smile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.