Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What is your mileage on your R230?!

21K views 66 replies 39 participants last post by  Ghostty 
#1 · (Edited)
I am approaching 150,000 in a week or so on my 2003 in amazing cosmetic condition, and an interior that still looks like new, was just curious!

People still think this is an almost new car, and think I am kidding when I proudly tell them the mileage.

I have updated the look a little, new grille, took out all the disgusting yellow bulbs that were reflecting all over my nice chrome, replaced them with Chromed bulbs, removed the amber lenses from teh bumper, replaced with clear lenses, and added more chrome amber bulbs there. Replaced my License plate lights with NIIICE error free LED bulbs, recently professionally buffed out the head lights, and bought new AMG fog lights so they would be clear instead of opaque.

Next, I think I want to do a set of SL63 Rims. I just ordered the SL Luggage for it as well.

It's easy to keep a garage queen looking new and shiny, but very impressive when you drive it often, if not daily, and actually have drive it all over America ! :thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: cadbob
#5 · (Edited)
@Jfscars48 - Once a month, or when I have time, I use Lexol Cleaner, and conditioner. Lexol Leather Care.

On a weekly or more often basis, I use Meguiars GOLD CLASS leather wipes.MeguiarsDirect.com: Gold Class Rich Leather Wipes I use them as a general purpose wipe on everything on the interior, dash, seats, doors, wood, door sills, everything. Gives everything a clean, with a soft sheen as well. I get complements all the time about my leather.

Also, as a trick, I use several leather scented WONDER WAFERS WONDER WAFERS INTERNATIONAL® Makes the car smell of a rich, dare I say Jaguar Connolly leather. :D

On the tires, the best product I have liked so far is, Turtle Wax ICE Tire shine. I have tried many, but this works very good for me. TURTLE WAX SITE ICE Synthetic Tire Shine Trigger - Turtle Wax (Seems as though they have dropped the BRUSH attachment, which was great. So, you might have to order it from Amazon, I can't find it on the shelves anymore!) AMAZON SITE: http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-476-Tire-Shine/dp/B001TI7JMY

@Acemanti - Yes, I've had some problems, as with many older cars. I have repaired the ABC pump twice, bought an new Crank Position Sensor, bought a new PSE, and a few other things, but for age of the car, it's actually not been that bad. I see some Hondas and Kia's costing more to fix by nickel and dime-ing little fixes for 2 years, with constant problems. I've spent a few grand on it in the last year, but it has been worth it, we know these aren't cheap, but often WAAAY more affordable to maintain then many Porsches and other more exotic cars. :thumbsup:

I often think about "what car I will get next" (with staying within a certain budget), and find it hard to answer that! Porsche Cabriolets are nice, but not quite the same on the inside (!), and are still using a soft top. I don't like the BMW 6 convertible.

I've attached a pic or two from the day I had the car delivered, behind my slightly enhanced/modified SLK320. Oh, yeah, at they do see snow sometimes as well. :eek:

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Couple pics of my "updated" 01 SLK320

Since these photos, I installed super clear fog lamps with error free LED's that could pass for "newer factory DRL's", not some aftermarket cheasy crap! :thumbsup: With all these updates, the SLK got mistaken for an SL often! Funny a car with a blue book value of a 12 year old Civic, looked like a recent model $80,000 car to many people LOL :thumbsup:

Clear lenses on front bumpers, chrome amber turn signal bulbs, GORGEOUS looking DUAL HID Projector headlights (legal 6500K), newer look 2-lamel grille (don't over analyze the photo, looked great in person), etc.

Attachments

#9 ·
HA HA, good luck catching up, I made 149,535 today !

That's mileage, not money LOL

#12 ·
I'll be at 156,000 this weekend !

#13 ·
#14 ·
159,000 on the SL500 today.

159,000 miles on the 2003 SL500 today, so we celebrated by having a cigar, and met up with a lovely Lotus Esprit V8! :thumbsup:

Attachments

Reactions: cadbob
#15 ·

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
"Broken In"

I say that too, ha ha!

I am just getting SLIGHTLY concerned, not about the engine, but about the ABC at that mileage .. so far so good, nothing SUPER EXPENSIVE to repair, a re manufactured PUMP, a few gaskets and topping off the fluid once a year or so, and SO FAR, SO GOOD .. but ya never know lol

Otherwise, it looks almost new. My Service Advisor said it looks better than some of the 2010's that come in for Service, ha ha. He wasn't looking at my file and assumed I had around "30,000" miles on it because the engine looks amazing yet, and it is smooth running. I laughed, and told him to add about 120,000 miles to that number and he had to double check to odometer, he literally though I was pulling his leg LOL

Attachments

#20 ·
Congrats egwu on 141,000+

28 degrees, BRRRR!

I Grew up in Pennsylvania, but am glad I live in Jacksonville Beach, Florida now .. ha ha.

I have a car I use for my work commute, but this is my main personal travel car, otherwise it would likely be much higher. I have many several trips up and down the eastern united states a few times (Florida to Pennsylvania and back, then a time or two over to New Orleans!)

She still drives like a dream! :thumbsup:

#21 ·
I think the key here is, you take care of it. It probably takes some money to keep it in top shape, but we all agree it's not a Honda. Great story - I have a little over 100,000 miles to catch you, and that feels pretty good.

#22 ·
high mileage SL Anxiety

159k so impressive!

I thought my 105k was concerning! any idea where abc fluid could be leaking? Any issues with seals/leaks?

any other tips n tricks?

I think the key to these cars- is driving it. I think the car does better when its being driven, they fester when they sit.

#23 ·
high mileage SL Anxiety

159k so impressive!

I thought my 105k was concerning! any idea where abc fluid could be leaking? Any issues with seals/leaks?

any other tips n tricks?

I think the key to these cars- is driving it. I think the car does better when its being driven, they fester when they sit.

#25 · (Edited)
159k so impressive!

any other tips n tricks?

I think your last statement is more accurate than most would give credit. I bought mine last November from a MB dealer, complete with 90 days warranty. According to the carfax and MB work records, the car sat for the previous year (less than 1000 miles in 12 months) and when I bought it, a high pressure ABC hose produced 3 pins holes and two cosmetic parts broke off within a month. The dealer replaced everything for free and only charged me $250 for a complete preventative rodeo. Since then (knock on wood), the car has been perfect and is driven around 200 miles per week. I think, more than any other car I have owned, this car responds to and requires, regular preventative maintenance.

Safe travels.

#27 ·
almsot 160,000 Miles, and I am selling the car, moving to Italy!

I have to find my kid a new home due to an expected military transfer. It is with great regret I have to sell the love of my life. I may be in therapy after this sale, ha, but she deserves a good home.

2003 SL500 "AMG SPORT" Brilliant Silver Met.
OPTIONS: SL1, SL2, SL3, 051, 889
MODS: 2009 AMG E63 rims, 2012-Style Arrow LED mirror covers
(with LED ground, courtesy light wired to the dome light), tint,
LED projector city lights, clear lenses, Amber-chrome blinker bulbs,
clear third brake light.

Mercedes SL500 AMG for sale | Wix.com

#28 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.