Steering wheel fit - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Steering wheel fit

Hello,
I have a 2006 sl55 with the original 4 spoke steering wheel. I would like to update the car with a new 3 spoke wheel like you would find in a 2010 or 2011 model. I know that the air bag would need to be replaced, but so far I can't find anyone who knows if it can even be done, including the dealership. The production year on my car was 12-2005 and is a 2006 car.
I have seen some steering wheels that say they will fit a car from 09-2006 and after, which is confusing because I didn't think there was any difference in the steering wheels from 06 to 07.
What I am looking for is someone who has actually done it and can tell me first hand if it can be done and if so what is needed to do it. There are so many opinions that I am just confused.
Your help is appreciated.
Kevin.
lawman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2008
dont think it fits at all. you need to contact DCT Motorsports and see if they have conversions or recomendations
okbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by okbarnett View Post
dont think it fits at all. you need to contact DCT Motorsports and see if they have conversions or recomendations
I would like to bring this thread back to life as I am still looking for answers. So far what I have found is that the only difference is the plugs on the paddle shifters. Does anyone here have an SL with a newer wheel installed? I need details.
Thanks.....
lawman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: MB S430
same question. does it fit? thanks
sfinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2012
the steering wheel on 2009 R230 SL's fits on the older version R230 SL's. I have a 2003 SL 55 which I'm currently retrofitting the new steering wheel on and fits fine. problems I'm having is controls need to be reprogrammed by dealer and the shift pedals aren't working. I'm told I need a new transmission module to get this working but i don't get why its just a few wires. I'm going to hack out the entire shift mech on my old 4 spoke wheel and retrofit it onto the new wheel. needs a little custom work after work but it beats buying a transmission module.
rrdralli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
There is now an adapter available that allows you to plug the new AMG paddles into older AMG's (pre-2006 SL, CLK and E).

Ivan at DCTmotorsports has them.

Pm me if you want more info
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdralli1 View Post
the steering wheel on 2009 R230 SL's fits on the older version R230 SL's. I have a 2003 SL 55 which I'm currently retrofitting the new steering wheel on and fits fine. problems I'm having is controls need to be reprogrammed by dealer and the shift pedals aren't working. I'm told I need a new transmission module to get this working but i don't get why its just a few wires. I'm going to hack out the entire shift mech on my old 4 spoke wheel and retrofit it onto the new wheel. needs a little custom work after work but it beats buying a transmission module.
Attached Thumbnails
Steering wheel fit-paddleconverter.jpg  
latemodel21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL Class