Lock / Unlock for doors and trunk not working - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2010
Lock / Unlock for doors and trunk not working

Hi guys:

I have a 2004 sl500, the door lock stop working recently as well as the trunk. when i use my key to lock, the alarm is ok, except the doors does not get locked, same story if you try to lock by pushing the buttom in the car, all I hear is some noise from the back of the car, and after it stops, nothing happens.
I checked out the forum and was told maybe it's one of the pump stop working, or has a leak,
I took it to a shop and they told me the pump has been ruined by water, I guess because I told them there was maybe a leak in the trunk, and they want to charge me a thousand to replace it.

I'm trying to understand why does the pump still making noise while it's being broken? any idea?

thanks
icemanak47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2003 SL500
The term "broken" can sometimes be a bit ambiguous. In this case the term "broken" means that the system is not performing it's assigned task.

On the good side, it's TRYING to work. It's getting power, meaning no fuses are blown, and all of it's sensors that activate it are functional. This cuts down or eliminates the need for an in-depth diagnosis of the system. This saves a lot of money for you.

On the bad side, the replacement cost of this unit isn't really cheap. If you've had a substantial leak, (and it seems as though you have), this constant exposure to water could be the culprit.

If you trust the mech that gave you the diagnosis of the unit, meaning, he checked the unit, confirmed that it was indeed not producing any vacuum/pressures at the outlet manifold, and if you replaced the defective unit, the system would be restored, then pull out the checkbook.

..... Then.... fix the leak.
n2red is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Roadster Forums > R230 SL Class